New Tires and TPMS Issues

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
bethfaceplays

New Tires and TPMS Issues

Post by bethfaceplays »

I recently got a new set of tires installed on my 10 GT and Im having an issue with the stupid TPMS light coming on. I don't know if it's because it's been God awful cold here or because they couldn't replace the valve stems due to not having service packs in stock or what, but it's stressing me out. I leave in 1 week to drive myself and a bunch of my stuff from North Dakota to Washington and I can't deal with tire issues while driving over the mountains in winter for the first time. (I bought Auto Socks since there's not much clearance for chains and the tires are thin.)

Anyone have any suggestions as to what could be happening?
joatmon

Re: New Tires and TPMS Issues

Post by joatmon »

Assuming that the tires are actually at an acceptable pressure ...

Could be one of the sensors was damaged by the new tire install. Did you try to reset the TPMS system? Found this in the 2010 owners manual (from viewtopic.php?t=755 )
tpmsr2.jpg
tpmsr2.jpg (64.08 KiB) Viewed 722 times
If that doesn't work, then maybe go back to where you had the tires installed and tell them they screwed up.

Then, of course, as long as the tires are at proper pressure and you check it regularly, you should be ok to drive
jolt

Post by jolt »

As temperatures fall, so does tire pressure. I just had to add air again because my TPMS light is on again. Temps are getting to -10ºF at night and colder temps are coming our way, so this is not strange. The Vibe tires do not hold a lot of volume of air so the tire pressure varies a lot more with temperature changes then a larger tire would. Aluminum rim have more problems with temperature changes also then a steel rim does. If the aluminum rim was not cleaned and sealed properly at the tire bead, you can have a leak in the cold whether too.

Another thing is that the car is ~12 years old. Considering that the TPMS sensors batteries have roughly a life span of 10 years, your TPMS sensors may need to be replaced. I had one go low voltage, which can be checked with the proper TPMS tool, and needed to be replaced. If one goes, the rest are not far behind for their battery life. I had them all replaced. The cheapest place to get them all replaced was Costco.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Awesome find J-mon. I had no idea this reset button even existed and I've owned my 2009 Vibe GT for 13+ years! :o

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"