2010 Vibe, Taillights not working, NO DIAGRAMS MATCH THIS CAR

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
kgw51gmc

2010 Vibe, Taillights not working, NO DIAGRAMS MATCH THIS CAR

Post by kgw51gmc »

All sites I have seen that show 2009-2010 vibe Fuse panels are completely different than this 2010 vibe.

The taillights quit working. Well, must be a blown fuse right? Well, the lid on the fuse box shows #1 is tail and #9 is brake (or vice versa). Checked the fuse for #9 and it was fine. Looked at Fuse #1........................there is no fuse in the slot. It's empty. Hmmm, did it fall out? I can't find it. Pulled carpet up etc, interior panel under the dash on door pillar etc. No fuse laying anywhere. Install the 10 amp fuse and it does nothing. No taillights. The fuse isn't blowing. Does anyone else have a 2010 Vibe? Does your have a fuse in the #1 position? Any ideas?
2010 Vibe, base, 4 door, 5 speed, 2.4, 140K miles.
tpollauf

Re: 2010 Vibe, Taillights not working, NO DIAGRAMS MATCH THIS CAR

Post by tpollauf »

We have two 2009-10 Vibe's (both years are identical) and the 3 book service manuals. Let me look up what you need and scan it and post it later. Hopefully I can help you out! ;) ................. Tim
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
kgw51gmc

Post by kgw51gmc »

Tim, that would be very helpful! Toledo eh? I used to go to Linde gas up there 1x per year to work on stack tests (emissions testing on Navarre Drive. Nice area.
2010 Vibe, base, 4 door, 5 speed, 2.4, 140K miles.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

kgw51gmc wrote: Sat Dec 03, 2022 4:14 pm I used to go to Linde gas up there 1x per year to work on stack tests (emissions testing on Navarre Drive.
Not sure where you're located (update profile for us) but you were at the Toledo Refinery Corp (formerly the Sun Oil refinery) worked there many times as a union pipefitter. Good work but nasty conditions :x

Back on topic here, I've taken some crude photos and uploaded them here for you. Hopefully you'll be able to see them on a good size laptop or full size monitor from some other device. Smart phone is OK but can't see the overall pic.

Let me know if this helps ;)

Good luck.

joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Assuming the bulbs aren't burned out, the most likely section of the drawings is this bit of the middle picture
10tl.jpg
10tl.jpg (44.22 KiB) Viewed 739 times
Somewhere in the car there is a "T-LP PCB Relay" That relay gets activated with 12V from the 120A ALT fuse (which if that was bad a whole lot of everything else wouldn't work) and from a ground , switched by the headlight switch that then runs through the DRL module. When that relay closes, 12V from somewhere gets sent to the 10A TAIL fuse.

SO, the first question is where is the actual TAIL fuse on a 2010 Vibe? The book says its the #1 fuse in the underdash fuse block, but kgw51gmc says there's no fuse there and putting one in doesn't help.

Then if that can be found and its good, where is the "T-LP PCB Relay"?

And where does the "T-LP PCB Relay" get the power it sends to the TAIL fuse?

Also, keep in mind that tail lights should come on when the headlight switch in in full headlights mode, or when in DRL mode if the light sensor turns the headlights on full. If in DRL mode, there's no tail lights in day mode. So when checking for tail lights, either turn the headlight selector to full on or check that headlight symbol in the cluster is lit.
jolt

Post by jolt »

At kgw51gmc:

First, a blow fuse is never the problem, it is the result of a problem. A fuse is a safety device and only blows because something in that circuit is causing the issue. Until you fix that something, you will continue to blow fuses.

Next, you stated that you have no taillights. Do you have the front side marker lights? Have you checked for voltage at the taillight socket, and do you have voltage there? Have you checked for continuity from the light socket to ground, so does the rear socket have a good ground? All the above is needed to home in on what part of the circuit diagram you need to check. Start with that and do not worry about the fuse for the moment, the problem is the taillights. As joatmon stead; make sure you have the headlights turned on when testing.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

jolt wrote: Mon Dec 12, 2022 12:17 am First, a blow fuse is never the problem, it is the result of a problem. A fuse is a safety device and only blows because something in that circuit is causing the issue. Until you fix that something, you will continue to blow fuses.
;) ;) ;)

Something else that we may not know, is if this Vibe was modified in the past. Was there a trailer hitch or additional wiring spliced into the rear lighting circuit to accommodate additional brake/turn lights? Many times the wiring is just fine UNTIL someone starts to modify by messing with it and they end up screwing it up. Something to consider.