Transmission Flush: the Good, bab, and the ugly?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Jackstand347

Transmission Flush: the Good, bab, and the ugly?

Post by Jackstand347 »

Just recently I bought 06 fwd vibe with 97,000 miles on it. Automatic

I was in AutoZone to get some new break pads and rotors; figured i should change the transmission fluid as well. And when i asked the guy to look up the parts him and another worker highly advised me that if this is the first time the transmission has ever been flushed then it would be better not to flush it.
They recommended if it been flushed at 60k miles it should be flushed again later on. But if it's basically 30k past due it's better to leave it for the life of the transmission or it will start slipping really soon.

I've heard this debate before and feel like it's definitely vehicle specific and am thinking regardless of if it's the first or second flush best thing is to do it. But what do y'all think, and what has y'all's experience been when servicing a car that hadn't been properly maintained in the past
Mark

Re: Transmission Flush: the Good, bab, and the ugly?

Post by Mark »

I think you're fine, although I would do a couple of drain and fills rather than a flush. I just buy 7 quarts of T-IV fluid and a couple crush washers at a Toyota dealer, I seem to get 3.5 qts out on each drain.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
jolt

Post by jolt »

I would drain it, pull the pan, clean inside of pan and magnets, replace the filter, install new pan gasket, and install pan. It will take ~3.5 qt of fluid. You will need a inch-pound torque wrench for the filter and pan bolts. To make sure you get the right filter and pan gasket set, you need to count the number of pan bolts on the transmission. I never flush because that does not clean the inside of pan and magnets, nor does it get the filter changed. If anything the flush will get the filter more restricted or plugged.
Jackstand347

Post by Jackstand347 »

I thought a flush was dropping the pan and changing the filter but i get confused, but anyway, That's what I'm going to do. Actually I'm getting a mechanic to do that and the brakes. Normally is do this stuff myself but i have too much going on at the moment
the guy at AutoZone told me there was only one gasket size and the other option was for AWD but I'll double check to see.

Any recommendations on fluid?
SSizler

Post by SSizler »

Like Mark said above, buy 7 quarts of TOYOTA T-IV fluid and a couple crush washers at a Toyota dealer.
First change without dropping pan, run it 1-5 thousand miles, then drop pan and change fluid PLUS filter the second time.
Mine was so dirty I actually did a fluid only replacement 3 times at 1K miles before replacing the fluid and filter the 4th time.
Shifts like a new transmission again. :D
2003 Vibe Base/ Frosty White Mono/ Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD/ Lava Red Mono/ Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg/ 150k mi
2006 Vibe Base/ Stealth Gray Mono/ Loaded w/Leather/ 180k mi
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids