Ignition Coil Confusion

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Caretaker

Ignition Coil Confusion

Post by Caretaker »

So I'm doing the research on ignition coils for the corolla engine (second gen Vibe). When I pull one out of my engine, the part number reads 90919-02252. They are thin pencil type ignition coils with a stainless/aluminum shaft. Doing the research on rockauto.com comes up with different parts for the Vibe versus the Corolla and the Matrix with the Corolla engine. Attempting to not pay $60+ per item with the Denso coils, I see that Delphi makes a very reasonably priced ignition coil. Since they make so many different ignition coil units, I would think that they should be competent at manufacturing them. I then see on ebay that e-herko down in Miami has the Delphi GN 10341 four pack for only $124 shipped. That is only $31 a piece. I then check the compatibility on the e-herko and other websites and consistently find that the GN 10341 "is not compatible with the Corolla Vibe's engine. I then go and do the same searches on the Matrix 1.8 and the Corolla 1.8 for the same year. They both show the GN 10341 as the correct ignition coil. I then go to the Delphi website and put in 2009 Pontiac Vibe. It comes back as .........wait for it...........GN 10314. ???? Could this be a typo? I then do a cross match on the Delphi site and enter the 90919-02252 OEM number and it comes back as 10341. When you look at the 10314, it is a stockier shaft and does not have the same stainless steel/aluminum thin pencil shaft like the one currently in my Vibe (90919-02252). Soooo, I am posting this for anyone who may have replaced their OEM ignition coils and can shed some light. I am 99% sure the right one is GN 10341 NOT 10314.
confusedpanda

Re: Ignition Coil Confusion

Post by confusedpanda »

Hi! I know this was asked forever ago, but I'm doing the same research now for my '09 Vibe. I replaces all 4 coils April 2021 and have now had to replace 3 of those. I'm looking for parts to do it myself now since I've been burned by my mechanic. Any help would be appreciated. I know basics of cars and try to do what I can with the help of my dad and youtube. Any tips would also be super welcome and helpful! Thank you so much!! :D

I was given a few part numbers and I'm so lost on which ones to get..

Denso 673-1300 Ignition Coil

Duralast Multi Pack Ignition Coil C1714-4

my car specs:

2009 1.4L automatic
143,510miles

spark plugs were also changed in April 2021 along with the coils. Regular upkeep, just had it in for an oil change yesterday which has now started a spiral of fixes.
lexicon

Re: Ignition Coil Confusion

Post by lexicon »

I just saw your post, the first thing I think of when parts need to be replaced this soon is counterfeit parts. you can google the topic for spark plugs etc etc....when it comes to electronics or electric parts I only go to RockAuto. Amazon or -bay has many sources that are counterfeit. I have had the same experience w NGK plugs and also a supposed genuine MAF sensor. So, now, I only go RockAuto. Yes, you are paying more compared w the fake stuff, but you are getting the genuine thing. Regarding the igniters, if you are hurting for money and dont wanna go to new OEM parts, you can also go to a auto dismantler and get the parts there, but you of course are taking a chance the parts may have issues..... just my opinion
2005 VibeAutomaticStockNon AWD125 hp model