New vibration/rumbling and rattling at startup

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Emfitz

New vibration/rumbling and rattling at startup

Post by Emfitz »

I’ve got a manual trans 07 Vibe, about 129k miles on it that’s given me virtually no issues for the last couple years, just got back from a little road trip, 8ish hours of highway each way, no problems whatsoever, and after a couple days home started noticing a new rattle up front, on and off, seemingly in the engine bay. Audible at certain rpm’s when parked in neutral and giving a little gas to make the revs climb and descend as well as when driving. Thought it might be just a shield rattle or something or that sort but felt I was maybe feeling some increased rumbling or vibration when I was accelerating as well. Swung by my mechanics place and they only had time for a quick glance, secured a shield under the car and said to drive it for another day and see if that was it. It was not it.

Today while driving around for work I start getting more consistent and unnerving vibration/rumbling when pulling away from a stop and accelerating at low speeds/gears, seemed more pronounced when I was pulling up a hill. Then I started getting a clear hard rattle or thunking sound and feeling when first starting the motor up as well.

I’m heading back to my mechanic for a better look Monday but I have the weekend to poke around in there and while I’m not particularly car motor savvy, more of a motorcycle person when it comes to repairs, I was wondering if there’s anything anyone would suggest looking at or thoughts on what could create those symptoms, and maybe I can pinpoint an issue in advance of taking it to the shop.