09 Vibe - Washer Pump

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
ckev70

09 Vibe - Washer Pump

Post by ckev70 »

Thought i'd write this up.
Front windshield wiper pump.
Remove plastic screw from fender liner. Turn it with a flat head 90'
Remove the 3-10mm screws holding the bottom liner to the fender/front bumper
There may be another plastic grommet on the slightly to the interior (towards engine) which is aligned with the left most screw (mine was missing)

There are 2 pumps on the washer reservoir. The inner pump is for the rear. The outer most is for the front.

Note: I did try swapping the hoses between for the front and rear but the hose was too short. (guess they changed it between the 03-08 and the +09 versions.

Also the electrical connecters were not swappable between front and rear pumps. I did not try the rear pump connector on the new replacement pump. Information via Rockauto seems to indicate this ACI pump will work for front or rear.

I used ACI 177138 pump.

Replaced pump and new gasket seemed to leak. I reused the original gasket. The original gasket seems to have a taper on the inner portion of the gasket.

Don't do what i did which was installing the gasket onto the pump and pushing it into place. This took a bit of coercing and a flat head screwdriver.
The proper method, is install the gasket onto the washer reservoir, then install the pump into the gasket.
Connect hose + electrical connector
Reinstall the 3-10mm screws
Reinstall the plastic grommet for fender liner