Does the auto transmission plug have a gasket or crush washer?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Ektar100

Does the auto transmission plug have a gasket or crush washer?

Post by Ektar100 »

Howdy all. Have owned a 2010 1.8L for about six years now. Lurked for a while but since the car has never given me a single issue in that time, I've never needed to post.

It was finally time for a partial transmission fluid swap, so I did it along with my regular oil change last week. Managed to drain and replace just about 3 quarts. Everything went smoothly and the car has been running great.

However, I've been having a very slow transmission fluid leak since the change—four days now. I completely wiped down the pan and around the plug after the swap, so I know it's not just residual mess dripping off the outside of of the pan. Plug is tightened down pretty snug.

I didn't see any type of gasket or crush washer on the plug or pan when I pulled it. Is there normally one? Any other suggestions?

Thanks!
2010 Vibe 1.8L
SSizler

Re: Does the auto transmission plug have a gasket or crush washer?

Post by SSizler »

Not positive about the GEN2 cars, but my 2006 AWD has a drain plug gasket that I had to replace after the 2nd transmission drain and fill.
I purchased a few OEM replacements at my local Toyota dealers parts counter.
2003 Vibe Base / Frosty Mono / Moon & Tunes / Auto / 206k mi / Total Loss 1-23
2006 Vibe AWD / Lava Mono / Loaded w/Leather and Sport Pkg / 150k mi
Many other 2 & 4 wheel toys :mrgreen:
40 years with a wonderful woman / 2 adult kids
Ektar100

Post by Ektar100 »

SSizler wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 6:35 am Not positive about the GEN2 cars, but my 2006 AWD has a drain plug gasket that I had to replace after the 2nd transmission drain and fill.
I purchased a few OEM replacements at my local Toyota dealers parts counter.
Thanks, I will try calling around to Toyota dealers. None of the auto part stores list one, not even the mighty Rockauto, so it's been a pain to find definitive info.
2010 Vibe 1.8L
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Here is a thread where we discussed it on the 1st gen. If anything, it'd give you an idea what the washer looks like at least.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Ektar100

Post by Ektar100 »

ColonelPanic wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:53 pm Here is a thread where we discussed it on the 1st gen. If anything, it'd give you an idea what the washer looks like at least.
Thanks, I did see that thread while searching. Sounds like Gen 1 plug is different (similar to oil pan plug?) than Gen 2 which is has a button head and hex/Allen slot. I may just give one of the Gen 1 washers a shot anyway.
2010 Vibe 1.8L
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

ColonelPanic wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:53 pm Here is a thread where we discussed it on the 1st gen. If anything, it'd give you an idea what the washer looks like at least.
Thats my post from 2014 :lol: :lol: :lol: Still have the Vibe too and havent replaced the washer at 292K :lol:
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Ektar100

Post by Ektar100 »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Thu Oct 06, 2022 7:03 pm
Thats my post from 2014 :lol: :lol: :lol: Still have the Vibe too and havent replaced the washer at 292K :lol:
Hahah awesome! I actually just got back from a Toyota dealership, got the gasket for the 2nd Gen Matrix. It different than the one from your thread, but does look like something that would do the job. Hope it lasts as long as yours has!
2010 Vibe 1.8L