Crank no Start, been to two mechanics

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
PontyNeedHelp

Crank no Start, been to two mechanics

Post by PontyNeedHelp »

Hey. 2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8l 166k miles

When the problem first started there were codes for misfiring cylinders and it went into limp mode I am guessing (flashing VSC and CEL, etc). Would die at stopping but would start up again. Then it wouldn't start at all in the morning.

Took it to the first mechanic who changed the spark plugs (which I had a mechanic change in Texas 2200 miles ago) and coils, cleaned air and fuel induction and throttle body. First mechanic did all that but charged $1400. Got it back, then it wouldn't start again in the morning, called AAA. AAA noticed the bolts on the fuel rail were not marked suggesting they didn't really clean the injectors but the mechanic said you don't need to remove the injectors or rails to clean them. AAA says battery is fine. Misfiring cylinder codes tripped again with AAA trying to get it started, they did get it started so I drove straight to the first mechanic again and all they did was certify their work and pulled a new code which they made it sound like it could have been a fluke because of the CEL being tripped from it struggling to start again. It was P0113 intake air temperature circuit high input. They cleared it and that was 7 days ago and it hasn't come back or any other codes.

Opted to go to a new mechanic. Second mechanic said there was contaminated fuel, possibly it was e85 (it smelled strongly of alcohol), and after they drained the fuel and cleaned the throttle body and gas tank (they said my fuel burned with a weird residue) it was running better than ever. When the problem first started I had an intermittent rough idle, eventually it would die at stop (first mechanic fixed it where it wouldn't die at stops but the problem since then has been as before: crank no start only when the car has been sitting overnight)

There is a gas smell after cranking for a few attempts that can be smelled in the cabin. Second mechanic said spark, compression and fuel delivery was fine but throttle body was dirty and gas was bad.

In drive on a flat road without accelerating it doesn't go below about 20mph. Unsure if this is right. In park it idles perfectly and steadily to my mind, below 1k rpm. It's just when it has been sitting a while it no longer starts. This morning when cranking it would kinda begin to start, but it was rumbly, almost as if only one cylinder was firing or it wasn't combusting right. No codes since I got it back from the 2nd mechanic and failed to start.

Thank you so much in advance.
PontyNeedHelp

Re: Crank no Start, been to two mechanics

Post by PontyNeedHelp »

Update: listened in the gas tank while someone cranked and couldn't hear the pump at all. Banging on the gas tank didn't help either. One thing that confuses me is that one mechanic and AAA started it by using flood mode of the gas pedal. But I have read here that since it's a direct injection engine that it doesn't do anything. So how do I know if my engine is flooded based on sound? Or if it's because there is no fuel because of a bad pump? At this point I'm thinking it's got to be either a bad pump, electrical problem, or leaking injectors in the case my last mechanic didn't do a leak down test overnight..
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I would concentrate on fuel delivery diagnostics--pump and injectors. For this car, you have to buy a kit to install a pressure gauge. I'd also pull the injectors and test them for flow and leakage. That's a lot of work. If I had to pay someone to do it, I'd have a problem doing that. It's also expensive to replace components without a clear diagnosis.
PontyNeedHelp

Post by PontyNeedHelp »

andrewclaus wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 5:31 am I would concentrate on fuel delivery diagnostics--pump and injectors. For this car, you have to buy a kit to install a pressure gauge. I'd also pull the injectors and test them for flow and leakage. That's a lot of work. If I had to pay someone to do it, I'd have a problem doing that. It's also expensive to replace components without a clear diagnosis.
Thanks for your advice. Mechanic called and said there's insufficient compression on all the cylinders. Looks like I'm junking it.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

PontyNeedHelp wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 12:21 pm
Thanks for your advice. Mechanic called and said there's insufficient compression on all the cylinders. Looks like I'm junking it.
If you "junk" this Vibe, what would you be asking for it. More importantly is where is it located?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"