2ZZ-GE Catalytic Converter Replacement

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
CMYK

2ZZ-GE Catalytic Converter Replacement

Post by CMYK »

Hi friends. I've got a 2003 Toyota Matrix XRS that needs a new catalytic converter due to a rust hole forming. Naturally it's also throwing CEL codes.

I'm trying to tackle this on a budget, but I need to confirm if I need to source a new cat that is specifically for the GT's/XRS' 2ZZ-GE engine, or if there is compatibility with cats for the Base/XR's 1ZZ-FE as well.

I haven't been able to find a conclusive answer so far, and I can't afford to risk getting the wrong part. I'm led to believe that there's a difference for the exhaust systems between the Base and XRS/GT trims, based off a previous thread here, and the parts catalog diagram (see fig. 6 in attached image).

Aftermarket vendors for cats typically sell just a portion of that exhaust piece, such as with this listing here. I'm hoping that there's compatibility between the trims, but could someone conclusively confirm if that's the case?

Thanks in advance
Attachments
Exhausts.PNG
Exhausts.PNG (313.41 KiB) Viewed 855 times
drfrisker

Re: 2ZZ-GE Catalytic Converter Replacement

Post by drfrisker »

I have an 04 vibe GT, also need it replaced. Going to keep searching or have a shop make one up unless someone figures it out.
850 and 650 dollar options
https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/prod ... z-federal/
https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/prod ... 03-08-2zz/

I bought one of these

https://www.ebay.com/itm/165626417284

The bend looks like the qrp, not great for exhaust flow. Maybe I'll keep my original around to get it replaced if this one should fail
CMYK

Post by CMYK »

Thanks for the helpful reply. Unfortunately I won't be able to afford the monkeywrenchracing options, but I'm going to look further into the eBay listing since it specifies the XRS. I've seen other eBay listings for cats that are advertised as being compatible with both the XR/Base/1ZZFE and XRS/GT/2ZZGE, but after contacting the sellers I'm told that they only fit the XR/Base/1ZZFE. Go figure.

Oddly enough, this eBay.com listing advertises it being a Canadian-made and Canadian-located item, but I can't seem to ship it here in Toronto lol. I'll investigate further
drfrisker

Post by drfrisker »

received it today. the bend seems to be mandrel bent and not a crappy one like advertised.
drfrisker

Post by drfrisker »

So the flange fits, O2 sensors are in the right spot, bend is nice.

My GT has a magnaflow catback. The inlet is 2.25" OD. The cat in this listing has a 2.25" outlet OD. Had to grab a coupler at the auto parts store, and shorten the pipe about a few inches so it would fit. I bought one clamp but I should have gotten a second one to replace what was on there. I think the magnaflow piping is leaking a bit. Aluminum tape or something before the coupler would help seal it- I have a small leak there. I'm hoping a new clamp helps, the one I put on there to help seal it up when I got the car is a bit wimpy.

The hardware they include is mostly useless unless your flange bolts happen to seize and break in the flange threads. Probably a bad idea but I reused the stock donut gasket. The one they include seems to be the right size but it was slightly damaged. I reused the stock bolts too.

The replacement doesn't have the flow divider in it that the stock one has. I'm not sure this matters.

Edit

Upon looking closer it does seem that the magnaflow resonator is starting to crack on the top, after the inlet pipe weld. I'm not sure if I even needed a converter. Well, I'll have to repair that too I guess.

Final edit

Ended up using a high temp exhaust puddy sealant on the crack. Seems to work so far.
Make sure you buy oem muffler flange / donut gasket 2.75" ID. I bought beck arnley brand 0396671 on rockauto along with new bolts and springs. 0396672 would probably work too (it's much cheaper) the one the ebay pipe guy supplies is 2.9" ID which leaks pretty easily

6 month edit

Got it welded in finally. Need to get someone to weld the crack in the magnaflow, the auto shop just missed it I guess. No check engine lights just yet.