Auto Transmission fluid Color???

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Jackstand347

Auto Transmission fluid Color???

Post by Jackstand347 »

Hello everyone, Im looking at buying an 03 with 125,000 with an automatic transmission. When I checked the transmission fluid it looked like motor oil. It was brown and I didn't notice any red tint. I know that trans calls for a fluid that gets darker than others but does it get dark enough to mistake it for motor oil? My first thought is that someone messed up. He gets he's oil changed at Walmart and I've heard stories of them accidently changing the ATF when getting an oil change. He's the 2nd owner. Inherited the car from his mom and Said the trans fluid has been changed once but not sure when.
It's also has code P0770 the scanner said something about the tourque converter and google says it's a Shift Solenoid E Malfunction.

Thanks
joatmon

Re: Auto Transmission fluid Color???

Post by joatmon »

I can see someone making the mistake of draining the tranny instead of the oil pan, but you'd have to a special kind of fool to put motor oil down the tranny dipstick tube.

If its too good a deal to pass up, then I'd recommend changing the fluid first thing. Some people just do a drain and replace, but if its as bad as you say, I'd drop the pan and check the filter. Then run it for a while and change the fluid again.

Did you do a test drive, and if so did you notice any shifting issues?