Idler Pulley Replecement

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
butlerjonas

Idler Pulley Replecement

Post by butlerjonas »

(not the belt tensioner pulley ;)) The large pulley closest to the firewall where the power steering pump would be. 2009 Vibe GT 2.4l 2az-fe engine. The bearings are shot in mine and I almost got the bolt out before it bottomed out against the frame. Anyone know how to get the bolt out and/or any tips on replacing this particular part? Thanks in advance,
Jonas
pulley pic  (2).jpg
pulley pic (2).jpg (115.76 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
pulley pic too (2).jpg
pulley pic too (2).jpg (415.54 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
new pulley.jpg
new pulley.jpg (896.15 KiB) Viewed 1194 times
09 Vibe GT
2AZ-FE 2.4L (upgraded pistons)
Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w-20/Toyota TRD filter
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
ColonelPanic

Re: Idler Pulley Replecement

Post by ColonelPanic »

That's the same situation with the 1ZZ-FE belt tensioner. In order to get the bolt to clear the frame, the right side engine mount is unbolted from the body and the engine carefully lifted using a jack (and a piece of wood between the jack and oil pan.)

Not sure if that would be the same procedure here, hopefully someone more familiar with that engine can chime in.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

I was afraid of that, but I actually found a video on how to replace a power steering pump for a Camry that gave me some hope. My pulley is a "dummy" pulley where the PS pump would be and the bolt holes are slotted so you don't have to take them all the way out and the whole assembly can be just be dropped out. At least I hope mine is the same way :?
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

*Disclaimer* I'm not 100% sure the idler pulley is attached the same way, but I'll report back once I find out. At any rate, this is a good tutorial for a tricky job on the 2.4l engine.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eni7SNV ... x=1&t=627s
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
Standingwater

Post by Standingwater »

I just got done with this job and I'm here to report that it is slotted just like the video posted above. So just follow that video and ignore anything that has to do with tubes, pumps, or reservoirs. It's just the two bots and you might need to knock it loose with a pry bar and hammer. I did. Also there are two square nuts on the block. They are not threaded and you might need to tap them back into the engine block. You can see them in the video https://youtu.be/Eni7SNV-cSU?si=g2X_N_puW-URQAq8&t=580 here. I tapped them back in with an extension and hammer. I could not get in back in and took me an extra hour figuring out that the spacer nuts were not threaded. I hope a save another poor soul the frustration. lol.
Drumstick

Post by Drumstick »

@Standingwater I find myself with this pulley problem and apparently GM has discontinued their 19185216 replacement pulley.

In the photo I see what appears to be a Gates 36472 part but many (almost all) of the vendors' photos I find show this as a solid pulley which won't work on the Vibe 2AZ-FE without lifting the engine.

Does anybody have a correct sub or Toyota part number for the slotted style...Or a known good supplier source?

Thanks to all...