Towing an 2005 AWD Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
jimmie

Towing an 2005 AWD Vibe

Post by jimmie »

I would like to tow my vibe with me on a vacation. It is AWD. If I disconnect the Rear Driveshaft and put the front wheels on a car dolly, would that work?
joatmon

Re: Towing an 2005 AWD Vibe

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe!

I can't say for sure but I would think so. The owners manual says AWDs have to be trailered, but I'd think that if you pull the rear drive shaft it should be ok. I'm not familiar enough with the WD back end, so my only concern would be if the rear driveshaft provides support or balance to something on the differential, and removing it would cause an imbalance or instability that could take out a bearing somewhere.
zze86

Re: Towing an 2005 AWD Vibe

Post by zze86 »

Yes, that works.

The thing that will destroy the drivetrain is the difference in speed between the front and rear axles. Since the front wheels are captive and the rear wheels are allowed to sping this difference gets crazy big at HWY speeds. By disconnecting the driveshaft, you eliminate that speed difference.

Was the AWD system in the Vibe a real fulltime thing like a Subaru? I thought it was mainly a FWD system and an electronic clutch would kick in to activate the AWD as needed?

Either way, disconnecting the driveshaft would be the best solution.