03 Electrical problems

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Skaliminin

03 Electrical problems

Post by Skaliminin »

Hi all,

I recently had the majority of my electrical system go out. Specifically, these are not working:

-blinkers
-radio
-heater
-gauges
-power windows
-windshield wipers & fluid pumps
-automatic headlights and DRL

Still working are:
-ignition
-headlights (when manual switch is turned)
-tail lights
-fog lights
-hazard flashers
-horn
-dome lights
-power locks

In a nutshell, everything that should come on when the key is turned doesn't with the exception of ignition itself. Beeping pattern of key in the ignition doesn't change when put in "ON" position or stop once engine is started either. Engine turns over and stays on but battery is no longer charging. Not sure what could have caused it, everything just died while driving.
Have so far checked all related fuses in the engine bay and cabin, checked battery and connections, had alternator tested, and checked ignition switch with nothing appearing to be at fault. Has anyone else come across this or know what steps to take next?

Thanks,
Jason
03, M&T, Manual trans
Salsa Guy

Re: 03 Electrical problems

Post by Salsa Guy »

SOunds Like a Relay or Ground Problem (assuming you check all the fuses). One fuse you need to check is the main to the alternator.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Might want to check the ignition relay. The ignition relay is on the top side of the under dash fuse block, can get access by removing either the storage bin and/or air vent/mirror/dimmer control trim piece. This diagram is from another thread, the red arrow points to the starter relay, but you want to check the IG1 relay. I think its the same relay used for power windows (P/W relay in the diagram), so an easy thing would be to switch the P/W and IG1 relays, see what happens. Might not fix it, but an easy thing to try. (might want to first make sure your power windows are all the way up, in case it does work)

here's the diagram:
Skaliminin

Post by Skaliminin »

I double checked the main 100A fuse and the small 5A fuse for the alternator for continuity with a multimeter and they both were good. Also switched the IG1 and P/W relays with no luck either. Is there any relay for everything that should be hot when the key is in the ACC and ON positions, or is that what the IG1 relay does? Or is there some sort of BCM that could have gone bad? The only thing I've been able to find in common between everything that's gone out is that in the Haynes wiring diagrams everything labeled "Hot in ACC, run, and/or start" is out while everything labeled "Hot at all times" still works (if that helps any).
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

The attached PDF is from a Matrix manual but applies to your 03.

Looks like you might want to double check the AM1 fuse, in the under dash fuse block. pull it out and give it a good look
Attachments
012ps.pdf
(65.7 KiB) Downloaded 497 times
Skaliminin

Post by Skaliminin »

That's exactly the diagram I was looking for, thanks! I did previously check the fuse and it looked fine but I'll check it with a multimeter for continuity just to be safe. If that doesn't work I'll start checking continuity of other components and the harness itself.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

also possible that one half of the ignition switch is bad.
Skaliminin

Post by Skaliminin »

It did end up being the AM1 fuse. Not visibly blown but when tested with a multimeter it didn't work. Thanks for that diagram, helped a lot
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Glad you got it fixed, and thanks for the follow up.
FrankenVibe

Post by FrankenVibe »

Where is the AM1 fuse located? Is it a normal blade fuse, or something different? My gauges, climate controls, cruise control and windows went out, but everything else works fine.
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Look in the owners manual (download one if yours is missing), and there should be a diagram on the cover of the fuse block. As mentioned above, it's in the under-dash fuse block.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

andrewclaus wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:10 am Look in the owners manual (download one if yours is missing),
You can download a PDF of the owners manuals from viewtopic.php?t=755
FrankenVibe

Post by FrankenVibe »

andrewclaus wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 4:10 am Look in the owners manual (download one if yours is missing), and there should be a diagram on the cover of the fuse block. As mentioned above, it's in the under-dash fuse block.
joatmon wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:23 am You can download a PDF of the owners manuals from viewtopic.php?t=755
Thank you both! The car died while driving home, so I’m thinking it’s the alternator now. I’ll check more threads and diagnose later today.