2010 vibe door window belt moldings

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
lz2d3l

2010 vibe door window belt moldings

Post by lz2d3l »

I have a base model 2010 vibe. The outer door window belt moldings rotted away on the passenger side. I tried to find replacement but none were available. However I know that NUMMI also made the Toyota Matrix. On a chance I ordered the 2010 Matrix door window belt moldings. The front door moldings pn 7571002190 and 757200190 fit perfectly, the rear door molding pn7573002170 and 7574002170 required modification at the rear of the moldings as they were too long. A little cutting and reinsertion of the end cap and now the water will not get inside my door.
Bikeman

Re: 2010 vibe door window belt moldings

Post by Bikeman »

I need to replace all of our 2010 Vibe window moldings. The Pontiac ones have been discontinued. So I'm going to try the Toyota ones listed by the OP. Does anyone have a link to a video on how to do it? Or maybe a posting with pictures? Any help would be appreciated. I did a fruitless search on this site, YouTube, and Google. Thanks in advance.
"They don't pay me enough to ride that thing" - King Kenny My "fleet" statistics- 14 Batteries- 59 Cylinders- 69 Tires
BelleHarper

Post by BelleHarper »

2009 Vibe base...Mine is rotted on the driver's side window. I searched everywhere to no avail. Then I stopped into the parts dept at my local GM dealer and he was able to locate three of them, only three in the entire USA. I bought one for a lot of money.
Now, this isn't the passenger side one, it's the driver side bench molding. But that's where I found mine! It's discontinued but I'm blessed I guess.

How it's installed I haven't learned for certain. There's a YouTube of one being installed on a Toyota Camry. He pulls the old one off then there's a single peg at one end that needs to line up with a hole that's on the right end of it. It then snaps into place with some determined nudging. No glue needed. I don't think the inside door panel is removed. It looked fairly easy but I'm not 100% sure the Vibe procedure is the same. My purchased Vibe bench molding has the single guide post snap-in on the right side so I'm thinking it's the same.
BelleHarper
Keizer, OR
BelleHarper

Post by BelleHarper »

Hi, BelleHarper here.
I called that outside window molding "bench" molding. It's belt molding. And also I think the youtube was an installation on a Toyota Corolla. Good luck to us all on this.
BelleHarper
Keizer, OR
Spider

Post by Spider »

I just replaced the four belt mouldings on my 2009 Vibe GT with the Toyota Matrix mouldings. The front mouldings are an exact fit. The rear mouldings are a bit over an inch too long so need to be trimmed at the back end, which is relatively simple with a box cutter. Replacing all four took me maybe 45 minutes total. A few notes:

Here are the Toyota mouldings that I used:
Toyota Belt Mouldings for 2010 Vibe GT.jpg
Toyota Belt Mouldings for 2010 Vibe GT.jpg (205.67 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

I found it helpful to roll the windows down. The front mouldings come off and go on just like the one shown in that 2011 Toyota Corolla belt moulding replacement video on YouTube. There's just one clip, at the back. The rear mouldings have two clips, one at each end.

The rear Toyota belt mouldings are bit over an inch too long.
Rear Belt Moulding Length Comparison.jpg
Rear Belt Moulding Length Comparison.jpg (346.19 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

I found it easy to use the old moulding as a guide to trim the new one.
Ends of Belt Mouldings.jpg
Ends of Belt Mouldings.jpg (413.41 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

Before you trim, remove the clip from the back end of the belt moulding, them trim to match the original. Note that the Toyota clip has a slightly different angle than the original. I decided to use the Toyota clip, so trimmed the angle accordingly. To get the cleanest look on the outside of the moulding, its best to trim it from the inside by first cutting the big notch to match the original, then shortening the moulding by making the angle cut. Note that little notch that holds the clip in. You can easily cut that out with your box cutter.
New Rear Moulding with Clip Removed Before Trimming.jpg
New Rear Moulding with Clip Removed Before Trimming.jpg (374.15 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

Here's how the final trimmed version came out on the right rear window. Note that the angle is slightly off because I used the Toyota clip.
Rear Belt Moulding on Car.jpg
Rear Belt Moulding on Car.jpg (352.35 KiB) Viewed 1145 times

All the best.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Turned out very good in my opinion. I take it this Vibe as been exposed to the elements of the weather it's entire life, thus the reason for needing changed? Good work and thanks for sharing :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Spider

Post by Spider »

Yes, it never sees a garage except when I go to the office. So the outside rubber wipers on all four had largely torn off.
sarasvibe

Post by sarasvibe »

Thanks for this link--I have 2009 Vibe AWD 2.4 L, 193K miles with same issues... .. ordered Toyota parts for right front and left rear and received yesterday. Will trim the left rear acording to wonderful photos and instructions.
I had the left front replaced at GM dealer a few years ago when they were still available... now such a scavenger hunt..as others said nowhere to be found now. My local Toyota dealership didn't want to order the parts for me so went the on line route. Otherwise they have been great the past couple of years keeping my Vibe rolling..
No critical failures... just little bits and pieces starting to break because of weather exposure and just plain wear and tear..

I've lurked on this community for the past few years and it has been such a wealth of knowledge to keep my Vibe rolling!! You guys are the best.

Will let you know how install goes.
Sara
2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD, 193K miles
CA, USA
sarasvibe

Post by sarasvibe »

Here are the photos of the window belt moulding install... left rear and right front....
vibe window 2.jpg
vibe window 2.jpg (23.76 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Left rear

vibe window 1.jpg
vibe window 1.jpg (25.11 KiB) Viewed 893 times
Right front.

As was described by previous poster Spider the right front was easy peasy. Both of the original belts had been glued in with something so had to take a plastic putty knife and scrape but came off very easy... Then cleaned both areas with household cleaner to get any dirt, oil and grime off.

The left rear was a bit more challenging.... I used a fabric mat cutter to measure but still didn't get cut exactly right the first time. Recommend use a brand new blade on box cutter and be very careful. I ended up not getting the angle for the end clip exactly correct but nothing that a bit of silicone couldn't fix.
Very happy with the way it turned out.

With the extra cleaning steps and my struggling with the new left rear strip took me about 2 hours to install both new strips.

I should really do the right rear strip now that I know what the process is..then I will have all new strips all the way around.
Sara
2009 Vibe 2.4L AWD, 193K miles
CA, USA