Engine Rebuild Options - Need Advice

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
ObiWanCannoli

Engine Rebuild Options - Need Advice

Post by ObiWanCannoli »

I have a 2003 Matrix XRS with 213k miles. My plan when I bought it very cheaply and replaced the clutch was to drive it until the motor gave out, then rebuild the motor with lower compression and turbo it. Apparently that day has come sooner than expected; my oil pump picked up some air and exploded, causing my rod bearings to fail (I shouldn't have waited to get that baffled oil pan, I know).

I'm on the fence about my options, so I'm asking here about feasibility/best course of action. These are my top 3 options I'm considering right now, in order of attractiveness to me:

a) Rebuild 2ZZ with low compression and turbo kit
b) Rebuild 2ZZ for high-revving NA performance and raise rev limit
c) Ditch the car and find another platform with the money I'd spend smearing lipstick on this pig.

I've had friends tell me everything from "put a 2JZ in it" to "ditch that econobox" but I'm looking for actual advice from those with experience dealing with this platform. I love this car because it's unique, and I like the idea of building something different and fun, not necessarily the cheapest/most reasonable idea.

Thanks for reading this far and TIA for your input!