Convert from AWD to FWD?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Devilsno1

Convert from AWD to FWD?

Post by Devilsno1 »

I've got an '09 Vibe AWD and my mechanic says my Electromagnetic Control Coupling (41303-68013) went bad and "locked up". The symptom is that the AWD light is constantly on and the car appears to be locked in AWD or 4WD at all times leading to poor driveability.

The part is very hard to find and very expensive.

So, I would like to know if there is a simple way to convert the car to FWD. Is it as easy as just removing the rear driveshaft? if not, what else would be involved.

Thanks
joatmon

Re: Convert from AWD to FWD?

Post by joatmon »

Ouch, those are expensive, and Welcome to genvibe!

I don't know enough about them to know if its a stupid question, but if the coupler gets an external signal telling it to lock up, did the mechanic check to make sure that the problem was mechanical and not that something was telling it to always be locked?

car-part.com lets you search junkyards for parts, and while I couldn't find the coupling in the list of parts to search for, you might try searching for rear driveshaft to find a local junkyard with an 09 AWD, and then call them to see what kind of deal they'd offer on the coupling.

If you try just pulling the rear driveshaft, work your way up to seeing what effect it has. Start slow, in a safe area, build up testing at higher speeds. Don't want to immediately jump on the highway and find out some imbalance or resonance develops
Dennis09AWD

Post by Dennis09AWD »

I asked my mechanic to remove the drive shaft and he said fluid would leak out from the front end removal. I need a new transfer case but non to find so far.
Dennis09AWD

Post by Dennis09AWD »

I am new to Genvibe. I have a 2009 Vibe 2.4 AWD. The bad axle is frozen into the transfer case and the mechanic made it worse by hammering it to death. Needless to say I have a new mechanic who has inherited the mess. We are trying to find a transfer case for an AWD drive but as most know their hard to come by and no new ones being made anymore. We are discussing switching from AWD to FWD and that would require both the transmission and transfer case to be changed...expensive but I love the car. Always open to ideas.
Dennis09AWD

Post by Dennis09AWD »

My AWD is on all the time. The coupler is not making any noise. Is this an electrical problem or mechanical? If I was convinced the coupler was bad I would just replace. Thanks for any ideas.