09 car window still has power after shut off and keys removed

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
whyteryce

09 car window still has power after shut off and keys removed

Post by whyteryce »

Today I accidentally discovered that after I shut the car off and remove the keys, I can still open the car windows for a limited amount of time. Eventually it will stop, but for a good amount of time I'm able to raise and lower any of the windows. I'm assuming any other ACC devices will continue to work during this period as well. No other problems with the car and since eventually the car will completely shut off power to these devices, I don't have any interior lights staying on and draining the battery.

Any ideas on what the problem can be? And how easy it is for a layperson to do?
joatmon

Re: 09 car window still has power after shut off and keys removed

Post by joatmon »

Sounds like "Retained Accessory Power", a feature, not a problem.

According to the 2009 owner's manual ( viewtopic.php?t=755 ) page 8-4

Retained Accessory
Power (RAP)

These vehicle accessories may be
used for less than a minute after
the engine is turned off.
• Power Windows, if equipped
• Sunroof, if equipped
The power windows and sunroof
will continue to work for less than a
minute or until either front door is
opened. The radio will work when
the key is in ON/RUN or ACC/
ACCESSORY
It can be convenient sometimes, such as parking, turning the car off, then realizing you need to close the windows, can still do it without having to turn the car back on. The 03-08 Vibes didn't have it, we figured out a convoluted mod to add it, but

That being said, if the windows still work when the car is off after you have opened one of the front doors, then that would be a problem. Not sure what would cause that though, or how to fix, but if that's what's happening, let us know.
SlammedNiss

Re: 09 car window still has power after shut off and keys removed

Post by SlammedNiss »

Pretty much spot on what joatmon said. Its a feature so you can roll your windows up after you shut the car off. My Rav4 does the same thing. Once you open the door, power should be cut off.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport