09 GT Highbeams

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
GT09Vibe

09 GT Highbeams

Post by GT09Vibe »

My High beams just quit working(both).
Is there a fuse/relay for just highbeams?
Low beams are fine. Was gonna start with the checking the bulbs but found it odd that they both are out. Not saying it couldn't happen.
09 Vibe GT
joatmon

Re: 09 GT Highbeams

Post by joatmon »

I've had both low beams go out before with high beams fine.

According to the 09 Vibe owner's manual,(available at viewtopic.php?t=755 ) there seems to be five fuses associated with headlights in the under hood fuse block
09hlf.jpg
09hlf.jpg (46.84 KiB) Viewed 420 times
Since 14 and 15 are labelled "low beam", perhaps 12 and 13 are for high beam.

I don't have wiring diagrams for the 09, but in the 03 there is a main headlight relay, and another one named "Dimmer" that controls the high beams. If it's unlikely that both high beam parts of the bulbs burned out, its also unlikely that both high beam fuses burned out. Maybe whatever works as the dimmer relay in an 09 isn't happy, or perhaps an issue with the switch on the column.

When you try to turn on the high beams, do the low beams go out?
GT09Vibe

Post by GT09Vibe »

No the low beams stay on and I can see the blue high beam icon on the dash too
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Usually all the circuitry used to turn on the blue dash light is the same stuff to power the high beams, so if the indicator lights up in the dash, most likely all the relays and fuses are good. So, you may just need new bulbs