2005-2008 Throttle Body

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Bookworm

2005-2008 Throttle Body

Post by Bookworm »

This is just a post to list information about the throttle body, so that others hopefully don't get caught out.

1) The studs and bolts are M6-1.0 50mm. Flange nuts, flange head bolts. If you use a hex head, I'd recommend adding a washer. You can't go longer than 50mm, because it turns out that the nutserts are not all the way through the intake manifold flange. Longer will _not_ reach. You can't add washers, because they'll interfere with the intake hose.

2) Torque is, at max, 9.6 foot pounds. Other sites list 13 - they're lying. The bolts are only 10.9. You'll stretch them if you try to go to 13. I snapped a stud because I didn't research the yield torque.

3) They show 2 gaskets at almost all sites. Again, a lie. The throttle body for the 05-08 is drive by wire, and only has one gasket, and that goes to the intake manifold. It's round, and looks like a half filled tennis racket. Where the second gasket would technically go isn't really able to be disassembled.

Fastest way to get to the throttle body is to remove the hose at the front of the valve cover, pop the air filter cap, then loosen the wire clamps on both ends of the intake hose. Pull loose the hose from the air filter cover first, then from the throttle body. You'll be able to move it back and have full access to the two nuts and two bolts.

Dorman _does_ make an M6-1.0 50mm flanged head bolt (partially threaded), yellow zinc coated. They are sold in three bolt hang boxes for about 4-4.50 each. There's also a fully threaded 50mm you can use in a pinch. They're the same price. I have found absolutely NO 50mm m6-10 studs. You might be able to get threaded rod, but even that's hard to get in the US in Metric. You might find it in Canada.

If you're absolutely stuck, you might be able to find M6-1.0 50mm bolts at your local hardware store, but they'll only be 8.8. That means you'll need to be VERY careful when tightening them.

BW