Oil coming out of dipstick tube

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
butlerjonas

Oil coming out of dipstick tube

Post by butlerjonas »

Hey gang. First, I need to ask anyone with or familiar with the GT (2.4l engine) if the oil dipstick has or is supposed to have a rubber o-ring near the top. Mine is just all yellow plastic at the handle and has some play/doesn't really seal. The replacements I see for the Matrix 2.4l all have a black rubber ring to seal the oil check tube.
I'm pretty sure there is oil coming out of the top of my tube and I hope it's just because the dipstick isn't sealing properly. The tube had been discolored about two inches down for as long as I can remember, but I just recently noticed it to be wet/dirty from oil. I've recently replaced the PCV valve and I hope nothing else is causing excessive pressure to force the oil out.
Ideas, insights, advice are appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonas
09 Vibe GT
2AZ-FE 2.4L (upgraded pistons)
Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic 5w-20/Toyota TRD filter
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
NGK Laser Iridium spark plugs
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
Caretaker

Re: Oil coming out of dipstick tube

Post by Caretaker »

Just search "pontiac vibe oil dipstick" in your favorite search engine. It will show the Dorman dipstick and where the small rubber ring sits atop the stick. If yours is missing that rubber ring, it makes sense that oil could leak out of there.
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-398-E ... 0752&psc=1
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

Caretaker wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 4:33 am Just search "pontiac vibe oil dipstick" in your favorite search engine. It will show the Dorman dipstick and where the small rubber ring sits atop the stick. If yours is missing that rubber ring, it makes sense that oil could leak out of there.
https://www.amazon.com/Dorman-917-398-E ... 0752&psc=1
That's the wrong stick. In fact, Dorman doesn't even make one for this particular version of the 2.4l and the GM model is discontinued oddly enough. I also asked if the original stick is supposed to have a rubber o ring(for the 2.4l engine). Mine is not missing one by design, but I may have the wrong dipstick in there since I bought the car used, there's no telling.
IMG_20220215_095247353_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220215_095247353_HDR.jpg (757.47 KiB) Viewed 1091 times
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Here's what Conicelli Toyota says for that engine:
https://parts.conicellitoyotaofconshoho ... 1530128031
and here's a photo of that part:
https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxserp=0
If that is all correct, the picture shows a black rubber gasket on the 2.4 liter engine dipstick
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Interesting find AND good analysis. You do have the correct dipstick BUT somebody got real rough with it and snapped off the plastic latch end of it which contained the O-ring. Compare yours to mine which is in excellent condition. When properly seated into the tube, it is a TIGHT fit and requires a bit of a pull to get it out. Same for putting it back in, a bit of a push to where it bottoms out and is seated properly! Looks like you'll have to replace it for sure :evil:

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

tpollauf wrote: Tue Feb 15, 2022 10:17 am Interesting find AND good analysis. You do have the correct dipstick BUT somebody got real rough with it and snapped off the plastic latch end of it which contained the O-ring. Compare yours to mine which is in excellent condition. When properly seated into the tube, it is a TIGHT fit and requires a bit of a pull to get it out. Same for putting it back in, a bit of a push to where it bottoms out and is seated properly! Looks like you'll have to replace it for sure :evil:

Bingo! I knew it ;)
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle
butlerjonas

Post by butlerjonas »

Thanks everyone. I ordered a new stick (and a couple other things to justify the shipping cost.) Looks like mine had just been broken since I bought the car 2 years ago :?
09 Vibe GT
Valvoline MaxLife ATF
Toyota/Denso air filter
Broken volume knob
Vibration at idle