burning too much gas

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
jeff_j1701

burning too much gas

Post by jeff_j1701 »

Hello,

I have an `07 Vibe with over 314,000 km (over 215,000 miles) and in the last 6 months I`ve noticed that I am burning more gas than usual.

A few years ago I had the catalytic converter, exhaust manifold, and downstream o2 sensor replaced.

My driving habits have not changed, and I when I do go over the limit it`s never more than 10km over on the highway during rush hour; my wife is the speedster in the house. :)

I want to take my car to the garage to have them diagnose it, and see if there is something else that is making the car burn too much gas.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should pay particular attention to, and what the garage should look for?

Thanks!!
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
Caretaker

Re: burning too much gas

Post by Caretaker »

Can you give us more details as to what your gas mileage was before and what you are experiencing now? My first thought is that it is a 15 year old car that has performed its duty well. Depending on what your mileage (or should I say kilometerage :lol: ) numbers are, I'd just enjoy the drive and begin doing research on what your next vehicle will be when the inevitable comes.
jeff_j1701

Post by jeff_j1701 »

TBH, I don't know an exact figure for the gas usage. I just know I seem to be using more gas for the same distance travelled.

And yes, I've been research new cars. DAMN YOU, GM for discontinuing Pontiac and the Vibe!

I'd love to talk my wife into the Matrix, but I know that will be a losing battle. :)

Whatever my next vehicle is, I'll probably sick to Toyota as the Vibe has done well. Yes...technically a Pontiac, but that's in name only.
'07 Vibe, over 300 000km
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

Do a basic tune up if it's been a while. Check spark plugs, clean MAF sensor and throttle body, check PCV valve, run some injector cleaner through. Check engine compression--many auto parts stores have tool loaner programs so this could be free. Is it running at normal engine temp? Check tire pressure. Check brakes for a stuck caliper.

And start recording the fuel efficiency per tank. Data are helpful.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

andrewclaus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:03 pm Do a basic tune up if it's been a while. Check spark plugs, clean MAF sensor and throttle body, check PCV valve, run some injector cleaner through. Check engine compression--many auto parts stores have tool loaner programs so this could be free. Is it running at normal engine temp? Check tire pressure. Check brakes for a stuck caliper.

And start recording the fuel efficiency per tank. Data are helpful.
great answer
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

andrewclaus wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 2:03 pm And start recording the fuel efficiency per tank. Data are helpful.
Very true! There are lots of forums out there to track your mileage which are helpful LATER on down the road when you start to have problems. On my 10 year graph, you can clearly see some of the LOW dips where it was winter time here in NW Ohio (longer warmups, etc.) and some of the highs where I took long trips. No different than each & everyone of us seeing a doctor annually for a checkup. It establishes a baseline or "normal" condition to where when things go bad, you have a "standard" to compare it against.

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

I'll throw in a few anecdotes and some suggestions.

1) I agree with most of the comments above. At the least, with the miles you have, you should have changed the spark plugs at least three times.
2) Intake manifold leaks. With the engine at idle, spray carb cleaner as best you can around the intake manifold. If it revs up, you have an intake leak. These engines are notorious for them.
3) Run a bottle or two of injector cleaner through the fuel. It won't hurt, and may help.
4) Don't be as concerned about the age of the car for the engine itself. You may have some vacuum leaks (the carb spray can help there sometimes), but my 03 vibe made it past 2016 with over 300,000 miles, and was still getting 27-30 MPG.
jolt

Post by jolt »

jeff_j1701 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 10:13 am I want to take my car to the garage to have them diagnose it, and see if there is something else that is making the car burn too much gas.

Does anyone have any ideas on what I should pay particular attention to, and what the garage should look for?

Thanks!!
jeff_j1701, Have the garage scan for codes that may led to other issues. Have them check the fuel trim numbers. This would tell how rich or lean the engine has been running. A compression test may show a weak cylinder that would make the other cylinders have to work harder to create the same power output.

Some other things to note is the gasoline that you use. Have you changed where you buy your fuel from? Has the laws changed in your area about the gas to alcohol ratio? You will get about halve the mileage from alcohol as what you would get from gasoline. The percentage of fuel mix of alcohol and gas changes at different times of the year. Higher percentage of alcohol is added during the cold months in my area. The cold weather will also drive your fuel mileage down. I will loose around 5 miles/gallon during the winter months.

Are all the shields attached under the car? Tires can effect the fuel mileage. Did you change tires, tire size, air pressure in tires? Even such small things like mud flaps and roof racks can reduce your fuel mileage. All these little things add up and can make a difference in fuel usage.