HELP: P0301 2003 Pontiac Vibe New Spark Plugs/Good Coil Packs/Good Fuel Injector

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Reaccion

HELP: P0301 2003 Pontiac Vibe New Spark Plugs/Good Coil Packs/Good Fuel Injector

Post by Reaccion »

Hi guys! I was going for a 106 miles trip from New York to Connecticut. I was going 65 to 70 MPH. In my way back, the Vibe was kind of loosing power. I needed to get back home so I kept going. When I got back to New York, the Vibe really lost power to the point that a simple hill would almost make the Vibe to stop moving. The next day, I checked the spark plugs and two of them were shut. I changed the spark plugs but the misfire did not stop. I started switching the coil packs from one cylinder to the other. But the misfire did not change location: P0301 (Cylinder 1). I also switched fuel injectors and I got the same P0301 error. The misfire did not change location. I unplugged the coil pack from the cylinder 1 and the idle did not change. I unplugged the fuel injector from cylinder 1 and the idle did not change neither. The Vibe runs but very now it smokes a lot with a misfire and very low power. I do not know what else to check. Please HELPPP!!
Attachments
20211116_115508.jpg
20211116_115508.jpg (252.66 KiB) Viewed 1802 times
andrewclaus

Re: HELP: P0301 2003 Pontiac Vibe New Spark Plugs/Good Coil Packs/Good Fuel Injector

Post by andrewclaus »

Fouling indicates oil in combustion chamber, from valve guides, head gasket, or piston rings. Compression or bleed-down test will show problems.

Burned electrode indicates very hot running, possibly running too lean, or improper spark plug.
zbyers

Re: HELP: P0301 2003 Pontiac Vibe New Spark Plugs/Good Coil Packs/Good Fuel Injector

Post by zbyers »

x2 what mr. claus said. Do a compression test.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

andrewclaus wrote: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:14 pm Fouling indicates oil in combustion chamber, from valve guides, head gasket, or piston rings. Compression or bleed-down test will show problems.

Burned electrode indicates very hot running, possibly running too lean, or improper spark plug.
Thank you for your reply.
The worst spark plug shown in the picture was already replaced (Cylinder 3) and that particular piston works perfectly fine. The problem is at cylinder 1.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Very high cylinder temps will melt the plugs. This can happen because the fuel to air mixture is to lean. Running a cylinder lean can burn/melt the spark plug and damage the piston. As others have told you, check your compression. How even is the compression across all four cylinders? You may also need to do a bore scope into the cylinder as there may be more damage from the melted spark plug missing pieces. Bad fuel, bad fuel injector, low fuel pressure, cracked intake runner, spark timing, etc.. can cause the mixture to go lean. Once physical damage is done, it is to late.
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

jolt wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:00 pm Very high cylinder temps will melt the plugs. This can happen because the fuel to air mixture is to lean. Running a cylinder lean can burn/melt the spark plug and damage the piston. As others have told you, check your compression. How even is the compression across all four cylinders? You may also need to do a bore scope into the cylinder as there may be more damage from the melted spark plug missing pieces. Bad fuel, bad fuel injector, low fuel pressure, cracked intake runner, spark timing, etc.. can cause the mixture to go lean. Once physical damage is done, it is to late.
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately for me, I checked the cylinder compression at this particular cylinder and it is at 30 PSI while the rest of them are 150 PSI. So cylinder 1 is dead.

The AWD version uses a AWD engine. I am not sure why. I think that because of the transfer case gap that it needs that the regular engine does not have. Anyways, the engine ranges from $600 - $900 here around NYC plus installation. I was undecided whether to let the Vibe go or fix it but the Vibe has been so good to me for the past 13 years that I started searching deeply for a new engine instead.
I found an engine from a parting out AWD Vibe that was advertised online. The guy asked me for $250 but I needed to get it out myself. So I went with my cousin and we got it out. The engine has 135,000 miles and it is ready for installation. By the way, he let me keep the power steering pump, ac compressor, starter, alternator, engine harness, and the whole intake manifold. I already ordered the water pump, exhaust manifold gasket, intake gasket, serpentine belt, spark plugs, and cylinder head gasket. So my cousin and I will be installing the new engine this Sunday.

Any suggestions for the installation guys??
jolt

Post by jolt »

Take pictures of the hoses and wiring before you pull it apart. Mark as much as you can too. That way you will have a reference as to how thing should be hooked back up. You may also want to change out the thermostat and hoses while you have it apart and it is easy to get at. Has the fuel pump ever been changed? The fuel pressure regulator is part of the fuel pump assembly so do not change just the pump, if you go that direction.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Reaccion wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:52 am The guy asked me for $250 but I needed to get it out myself. So I went with my cousin and we got it out. The engine has 135,000 miles and it is ready for installation. By the way, he let me keep the power steering pump, ac compressor, starter, alternator, engine harness, and the whole intake manifold. I already ordered the water pump, exhaust manifold gasket, intake gasket, serpentine belt, spark plugs, and cylinder head gasket. So my cousin and I will be installing the new engine this Sunday.
What better way to spend the Thanksgiving long weekend than ripping into a major car repair. I love it :P Take LOTS of pics and post several up here for us to view. Where is this being done (location please) and will it be indoors or out on a driveway. I admire you're determination in keeping this Vibe on the road.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

tpollauf wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:57 am
Reaccion wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:52 am The guy asked me for $250 but I needed to get it out myself. So I went with my cousin and we got it out. The engine has 135,000 miles and it is ready for installation. By the way, he let me keep the power steering pump, ac compressor, starter, alternator, engine harness, and the whole intake manifold. I already ordered the water pump, exhaust manifold gasket, intake gasket, serpentine belt, spark plugs, and cylinder head gasket. So my cousin and I will be installing the new engine this Sunday.
What better way to spend the Thanksgiving long weekend than ripping into a major car repair. I love it :P Take LOTS of pics and post several up here for us to view. Where is this being done (location please) and will it be indoors or out on a driveway. I admire you're determination in keeping this Vibe on the road.
Yeah, why not try to keep this amazing reliable vehicle alive? This Vibe has been so good to me. Even on 3 pistons, the Vibe brought me back home from Connecticut saved.

This was done on Brooklyn, New York in front my cousin garage outside. Now my Vibe drives Super great again. Here are some pictures. Please enjoy!
Attachments
20211225_151057.jpg
20211225_151057.jpg (854.32 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
20211225_151119.jpg
20211225_151119.jpg (1004.78 KiB) Viewed 1649 times
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

We started like around 7am and we were done at around 9pm. We had a very hard time removing the exhaust manifold as well as power steering pump. But again, the engine runs perfectly now. I love my Vibe even more now! Thank you Junior and Isaias for helping with the job!
Attachments
20211225_150704.jpg
20211225_150704.jpg (889.74 KiB) Viewed 1648 times
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nice work, and to think NO garage or shelter to protect you or the parts! I can REALLY relate to that ..... 40 years ago :lol: An old pic of me & a buddy swapping out an inline 6 for a small block chevy in my older Camaro. I miss the car BUT really want some of that hair back :lol:

2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Reaccion

Post by Reaccion »

tpollauf wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm Nice work, and to think NO garage or shelter to protect you or the parts! I can REALLY relate to that ..... 40 years ago :lol: An old pic of me & a buddy swapping out an inline 6 for a small block chevy in my older Camaro. I miss the car BUT really want some of that hair back :lol:

LOL, I am feeling the same about my hair as well. I have been losing it little by little.

Wow, so you must have a vast experience mechanic wise. I admire that. The thing about doing your own mechanic is that you know that you are doing the right thing the right way. SOME mechanics are messy. They would never put as much love as the owner would when performing a job to the vehicle. I also own a 2019 Honda CR-V and I feel more sentimental attached to the Vibe just because of all our mechanical moments together. 😁. I pretty sure that you understand me.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

Reaccion wrote: Thu Dec 30, 2021 5:14 pm
tpollauf wrote: Sat Dec 25, 2021 10:57 pm Nice work, and to think NO garage or shelter to protect you or the parts! I can REALLY relate to that ..... 40 years ago :lol: An old pic of me & a buddy swapping out an inline 6 for a small block chevy in my older Camaro. I miss the car BUT really want some of that hair back :lol:

LOL, I am feeling the same about my hair as well. I have been losing it little by little.

Wow, so you must have a vast experience mechanic wise. I admire that. The thing about doing your own mechanic is that you know that you are doing the right thing the right way. SOME mechanics are messy. They would never put as much love as the owner would when performing a job to the vehicle. I also own a 2019 Honda CR-V and I feel more sentimental attached to the Vibe just because of all our mechanical moments together. 😁. I pretty sure that you understand me.
I kept the hair - it just steadily retreated down my back.

I do understand, it's hard to give up something that's given you great service over a long period of time with few real hiccups.