Auto Show Hunters

Discussions about other vehicles other than the Vibe & Matrix.
Caretaker

Re: Auto Show Hunters

Post by Caretaker »

yah, the Autoline crew were discussing this one. I hate the teardrop headlights (also found on the new Sonata) and the rectangular grill is now in contention with Lexus' grilles over the past 10 years as the ugliest in town. Maybe designers are beginning to give up, knowing their days of selling ICEs are coming to an end real soon. Soon they won't have to worry about grille designs as there won't be any need for air intakes with all electric vehicles (EVs).
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

That new Tucson is gonna look fantastic in a few years with all those acres of piano black plastic. ;) A well-done interior otherwise.

Lots of pics here. And is that a flat load floor I spy? Or nearly flat, hard to tell from that angle.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

2022 Tucson

Post by Caretaker »

Excellent pictures CP. Thanks for posting. I hope my video screen doesn't come in Korean. :?: It is a flat load floor, although when I watch a bazillion hours of Motorweek and hear them say the words "flat load cargo area," I always notice a small rise due to the headrests propping up the one end by an inch or so. A pickup truck is still the standard bearer for bringing home a sheet of drywall, as even a small rise in these SUV cargo areas can result in the drywall snapping in the middle on the way home. I too think the interior is outstanding, but as always, I never need a test drive, nor care what's under the hood. My make or break moment is whether I have enough "flopping around room" while in the driver's seat. If the center console pins my leg to the gas pedal, my "test drive" is over. I still have my crib sheet from testing out the Crosstrek and Seltos, a list of must have's I want to see on the (near) base version of the new Tucson. Things such as no sunroof (period), no AWD, no 18 inch tires, LED headlights, no CVT nor DCT, turn signals in side mirrors, independent rear suspension, rear seat center armrest. It is appalling how you have to go to the highest trim levels on the current Crosstrek and Seltos to get some of these, which is why I am thrilled about this next Tucson. I'm hoping Hyundai (once again) will push Subaru to up its game with the next Crosstrek iteration, which thanks to COVID, will not be happening for quite some time to come.
Caretaker

Crosstrek Shopping

Post by Caretaker »

We went to the local Subaru dealer yesterday to sit in and see the new Sport models with the Star Tek synthetic leather seats. We also hopped in a cloth seat Crosstrek to compare the lumbar support. Another example of Subaru being "way behind the times" is that there isn't any lumbar support lever on the Crosstrek. We found the Star Tek and cloth seats to be equal in support but we like the water resistance and ease of cleaning concept of the synthetic leather. The sales person confided that he had rented an Outback and found the seats very uncomfortable during his rental period.
Joatmon and any other new Subaru owners out there: do you have any complaints with your Subaru's seat comfort?
I'm still hoping to hold out for one more model year when hopefully, Subaru will come to its senses and dump the 2.0 liter engine altogether and add things to all their models such as turn signals, lane changing detectors and an armrest for rear passengers. We also are not fans of having "dual rear seat USB ports" stuffed inside the center console tray when they could have simply cut a hole on the backside and exposed them to the rear seat passengers. We also are concerned about having Eyesight mounted on to the windshield should we need a replacement due to a crack. I'll have to call our insurance company to see if windshield replacement is included in our policy given that Eyesight seriously complicates a normally simple replacement procedure.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I can't say what the current Subaru line up offers. I bought a 19 forester 18 months ago, and for peace of mind, I stopped looking at both features and prices. I didn't fit well in a crosstrek, No complaints about the 2.0 boxer. Its no racer, but has enough oompf for me.

The one I got was a "limited" trim, so it had many but not all options. I can testify that it does, in fact, have turn signals. Not sure about "lane changing detectors" but it does pay attention and beeps at me if it thinks I am too close or over a painted line on the road. Seems to sound off when I am dodging potholes a lot more than when I inadvertently drift over a line. It has a 60/40 split rear seat like the Vibe did, but the center 20 of the 60 side folds down to be a center armrest for the rear passengers. The dual USB ports for the rear are on the back exterior of the console that's between the front seats, not inside the console itself.

On mine, only the driver seat has fancy electric controls, including lumbar support. I think there was an option for a fancier front passenger seat, but I didn't get that on mine. I think the seat's pretty comfortable, but I have found things like that to be very particular to an individual, so just because I find it comfortable doesn't mean anyone else would. or would not.

Not particularly worried about cost to replace the windshield, its still my new car so I carry full coverage. Don't know how it's insurance cost compares to other comparable models

So far my biggest gripe is car related, but not about the car itself. My first vibe I ran the 36K mile warranty out in about 14 months. Had this car for 18 months, just hit 10K on the odo. Rational pandemic precautions have me not taking the long road trips I had hoped to. I tired of hanging around the homestead.
Caretaker

Shopping '21 Subaru Sport

Post by Caretaker »

Thanks for that joatmon. I'm in contact with Farrish which is the UBS (United Buying Service) dealership in the DC/Balt metro area. I've informed them that I'm in no hurry as my cars are running fine and my Vibe is about to get three more Denso plugs and ignition coils this week to complete the new set. At about $150 over dealer cost, plus the 2% holdback Mr. Subaru sends them after the car sells, it simply is the best way to buy a car and is worth the flight up and the drive home. Not paying any dealer/ad/prep fees and getting any dealer installed options at cost is how we bought three of our most recent cars. In fact my Vibe was bought using UBS at Farrish.
I have found my exact model/trim/color(s) at two FL dealers and one in Atlanta and Savannah. Since the dealers logically ordered all high end Limited trims with the new model year, I'm guessing that as long as chip manufacturers get their act together and production gets back to normal, more of the Sport trim models will come available by year's end.
Any other recent Subaru owners with seat stories?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

If you're still interested in the Tucson and have time to kill, here's a video of them being built in Alabama. Always neat to see how things come together.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_JPlyG9V6s

Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

GREAT video. Having toured the Wentzville GM plant, it was nice watching this video and not seeing even one drunk robot assembling my next car. Actually, I'm waiting for the Sportage to arrive before trying them both out. Today, I'm heading to another Subaru dealer to compare the Star Tex and leather seats. I'll also sit in a Forester "one last time" to ensure that the center console is indeed too wide and leg restricting, which is what I'm afraid will be the case with Hyundai/Kia's new offerings.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Drunk robots. :lol: I've watched that video a few times now and it always makes me cringe around the 9:35 mark where the robot brings the passenger seat in from above. If it has the slightest hangover, I think they'd have to send that one back for paint repairs on the roof. :D

Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yep: never buy a car that was assembled on a Monday. Those robots are likely hung over from spending all their paycheck on lube.
Our visit to Subaru was enlightening. We did reaffirm that we like the Sport model and the synthetic Star Tex seating material over the real leather. We also sat in a 2017 with "leather." I almost broke out laughing as I squeezed the driver's seat. The leather was like squeezing a cheap vinyl childs ball in a bin at Walmart. The material was insulting and explains why so many people had complained over the past years about poor back support with their seats. A Subaru purchase does make me nervous and I'm glad that I still don't have to make a choice any time soon. I also sat in a loaded Forester and it was a bit more comfortable, although the side to side knee "flopping around room" was about 1/2-1 inch better in the Crosstrek. The Forester just seems roomy due to the 5-6 inches of extra height and commensurate head and shoulder room. I'm still holding out hope for the 2022 Sportage which is reported to be the shorter version of the two cousins(Tucson being longer in size) and a better driver's car as well. As long as my leg isn't pinned into the console........only time will tell.
Caretaker

2022 Tucson

Post by Caretaker »

Went to Hyundai yesterday and sat in their base model 2022 Tucson SE. It is over 6 inches longer than the outgoing model and it felt more like 2 feet longer. The cabin was quite spacious, much like sitting in a Forester. The base model comes with a traditional handle gear selector and a traditional hooded instrument display. The cloth seats are typical Hyundai perfect. Very good material and very firm and supportive, just like my 11 year old HET. There are lots of hard plastics in the base model and it does not have turn signals in the side mirrors, a huge no-no for me. Bump up to the next level SEL and it comes with softer materials, turn signals, leather seat option, digital displays, and power seats (another no-no for me). At least Hyundai put a volume and radio selector wheel on their radios. The upper Limited trim is all touch screen which makes it tough to select the right button when you are driving. While the long wheel base Tucson was never on my shopping list, here's hoping that Kia does a little bit better with their upcoming Sportage. Walking by the outgoing Tucson, it was clear to this long time Vibe driver that it was a much more manageable size. The dealership was packed with people, probably gobbling up the outgoing model at $19,000 a pop; over $6,000 off the normal asking price. While I'm not against the new digital screens, I do agree with John McElroy who points out that these screens will quickly make your car look outdated as new and improved digital technology comes out year over year.
Caretaker

Kia Time

Post by Caretaker »

Went to my local Kia dealership yesterday to ask some questions. I got mostly slimy dealership answers back. I wanted to know if the current recall on the Seltos affected only the 2.0 turbo engines or whether the standard naturally aspirated 2.4 liter engine (found in their other models) also had the piston rings that were improperly heat treated. The "we haven't received any stop sales notifications yet" was typical dealership slime talk. I then asked the totally clueless sales manager why Kia suddenly decided to carry forward with the current Sportage and badge it as a 2022 moniker when the 2022 was supposed to be the new design model? Was it the chip shortage? Crickets chirping. I then told him that I wanted to just sit in a current Sportage. That was the final wetting of his cornflakes. I must say, after sitting in the redesigned Tucson the day before, I was impressed with the roominess of the current Sportage despite being at least 6 inches shorter. I put the driver's seat all the way back and found that I had to actually pull it back forward a couple of inches. I can only remember doing that one other time and I think it was in an older Lincoln Continental. My naturally resting arm position on the steering wheel was also more comfortable than my nearly fully extended arm position in the new Tucson. I asked the sales person why on earth was Kia putting $5000 + on the dashboard when there seems to be no new Sportage coming for another model year? Again, I must have tinkled in his cornflakes or they had a very bad sales meeting right before I got there. I just love torturing dealerships with tough questions and using them like the tools they are.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Hyundai's piston ring recall just dropped (link.) Theirs is only for the 2.0 naturally aspirated in the 2019-2020 Elantra, 2019-2021 Kona and 2019-2021 Veloster.

I've been waiting for a Veloster 2.0 Premium to show up within a reasonable distance since last year, but trims aside from the N don't seem to exist anymore. Dodged a bullet with that one I suppose. :lol: I've been looking at the 2021 Elantra SEL instead since I can find plenty of those on the dealer lots. Interestingly the "new" 2.0L Smartstream version there is not affected.

Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

yep, I read that too tonight. It stands to reason that not only Kia models would be affected. I also watched autoline.tv's daily podcast and found it interesting that due to the chip shortage, rental car agencies are buying used cars for their fleet. This is now causing used cars to inflate even higher than before.
Caretaker

Tucson hunting

Post by Caretaker »

Went to the Hyundai dealer and sat in both the 2022 Tucson (again) and the 2021. While I still would like less center console and more floppin' around room, I was impressed with the outgoing model. It is much more manageable than the 2022. The 6 inch increase of the 2022 makes it feel 10 feet longer. The dealer only had the base 2021 models left, but I was impressed with the leg room for the rear passengers (ample enough) and the fact that the rear seats (even in the base model) recline back about 30 degrees. The driver's position was very comfortable as was the visibility. The arm reach with the seat all the way back was better in the outgoing model. To compensate, H/K is putting hand rests at the 4 and 8 o'clock position to relax the arms and shorten the reach. I find that to be a good idea, although it really would be for long distance driving only and not particularly good for steering out of an emergency situation. It was interesting to see that this dealer only had about $4500 of cash on the hood instead of the $6000 cash back they had in April. The sales person said that the incentives do change from month to month. I was under the assumption that they stayed constant until the backlog was depleted to make room for the incoming models.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

I've noticed Hyundai's incentives are sometimes weird on the outgoing models. After a while it seems the incentives just go away on them, making the new generation a better deal. I suppose at that point haggling with the dealer takes over.

Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I was shocked to see the incentives at all given the chip shortage, ships stuck in the Suez and the pandemic delays at assembly plants. Moreover, it made no sense that Kia had money on the hood for a model that now has been extended through calendar year 2021. The new Sportage won't be here until 2022. Also, now that every Hyundai dealership I've searched is down to just a handful of 2021 Tucsons, why have any cash incentives on a rare find model given that the 2022 model is sooo much larger in appearance and perception and might not be the size people want. It is also a regional thing. Last night's search revealed that dealers in the DC area didn't even have any cash back offers, while here in FL, they continue both from the dealer and from the factory, albeit not as robust as back in April.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I got to spend a couple weeks riding around in a '21 all options CX-5. It was hard to not compare it to my 19 forester. As a passenger, I couldn't evaluate various driving factors, other than just getting generally annoyed at the driving habits of the car owner, but that's to be expected. On paper, the cx5 should be faster acceleration, but given the owner's driving habits, it might as well have had the quickness and turning ratio of an old bus.

Given I'm used to what I have, I did not like the center console display in the CX-5. It was as if they glued a tablet on the top of the dash, and the operator interaction with it was via a rotary knob and several buttons between the seats. The subie touchscreen is better integrated into the dash, as if it was designed to be there.

seemed like the door opening head room was lower on the cx5. Banging it with my head may have been a function of physical dimensions, or just me not used to getting in to a car from the right side of the car. Only did it once

The CX-5 had a couple of cool features the subie doesn't. It has a heads up display, shows the driver some of the instrument cluster stuff on the windshield. Didn't get a chance to see for myself if it was useful or distracting. I also liked the CW-5 showing a 360 degree view around the car when starting out.

I prefer the subie's guidelines superimposed on the backup camera. Both have flex lines that try to show the projected edges of the car that vary as the wheel is turned, the subie also adds a center point crosshair. I'm spoiled. I put a line exactly down the middle of my garage floor, when I back in, I line up that crosshair with the line and get a perfect park every time. A token thing, I shouldn't care, but it made me feel superior.
Caretaker

VW Taos

Post by Caretaker »

I'll be heading to my local VW dealer in the coming days. I can't even believe I'm typing this or considering a VW, but the Taos looks like it will be a serious thorn in the side of Crosstrek sales. The Motorweek test drive of the Taos was very illuminating in that they consider the ride of the FWD version with the (ugh) rear torsion beam to be a smoother ride than the AWD version. I don't see the turn signals in the side mirrors, so I'll go investigate that and other esthetics of what looks like an excellent driver visibility/boxy contender.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I went to my VW dealer. Taos coming next week.
Caretaker

VW Taos

Post by Caretaker »

Well the Taos finally arrived. It was awfully hot outside, so I didn't spend a huge amount of time going over it. First impressions: it is strong competition for the Crosstrek. Great visibility and interior room both front and back. HUGE side mirrors with traffic detection alert. Seats were comfortable and the flopping around room for the driver was pretty good, to include a high seating position. The digital gauge (standard on all trims) was attractive and there is NO emergency brake handle to get in your way. The big negatives for me were: VW just can't seem to pay a visit to Hyundai/Kia to see what a real interior is supposed to look like in 2021. The use of hard plastics everywhere makes it look like my '09 Vibe for goodness sake. I don't mind VW interiors looking simple and plain, but the materials used seems 10+ years out of date. I had the salesman hit the brakes so I could observe the brake lights. Why oh why do these manufacturers put bulbs in the tailgate housing yet fail to have them illuminate for the brakes. I like BIG brake lights so the morons behind me can see them lit while playing with their phone. Also, NO integrated turn signals in the side mirrors even on the highest SEL trim. I get that these bozos sit at the corporate table and say "now what little items are we going to withhold so we can slowly integrate them into our future models as the years go by?" That stuff burns me up.
As Kia yesterday released photos of the '23 Sportage, it is obvious that they will be sending the larger wheel base model to the US; a huge mistake in my opinion. The '22 Tucson is already the longer wheel base (6'' longer length than the outgoing '21). Seems to me that Kia would have done better by bringing the shorter one here as to not compete with its cousin. The '23 Sportage does look fantastic IMO, so I won't take it off my list until I sit in it. However, given my love of smaller vehicles, should my Vibe die tomorrow, it will be down to the Crosstrek, Taos, and current model Sportage.
Caretaker

Ya Me Voy Taos

Post by Caretaker »

I've mentally taken the Taos off of my list. I've been watching a lot of video reviews. The cheap interior with hard plastics is a total turn off. Anyone who has owned a Hyundai/Kia product can't turn a blind eye to a cheap interior. Moreover, the driving tests online have revealed a (perhaps typical) severe turbo lag when at a full stop. Couple that with the auto start/stop feature, you are taking your life into your hands trying to make a left turn across busy traffic. I also don't like: the lack of a flat floor when the rear seats are down; no turn signals integrated into the side mirrors of any Taos trims; excessively heavy tailgate; rear torsion beam for FWD builds; and the Consumer Reports low reliability record of VW vehicles. With all that, the two main things I look at are the aforementioned integrated turn signals (non existent) and the tiny rear brake lights. I had hoped Toyota had provided enough embarrassment with the 1998's wafer thin brake lights to teach auto makers a lesson but apparently the brutally small brake light trend continues despite the hyper proliferation of morons playing with their phone while driving. Come on Herb.....build me a car for the average Homer.
KingKrab65

Re: Ya Me Voy Taos

Post by KingKrab65 »

Ya Me Voy Taos

Didn't Santana write a song about this?
2003 Base Vibe
Caretaker

Rogue

Post by Caretaker »

I'm driving a brand new Rogue Sport. I've never been a Nissan fan and this hasn't changed my opinion. I found the interior to be reasonably impressive although the seats are way too soft. I much prefer Hyundai/Kia firm seating. The Rogue has good visibility and I do like the lane change warning lighting system which is inside the car instead of in the mirrors like every other manufacturer. I'm pretty neutral when it comes to the CVT which I am doing my best to avoid in my next and last ICE purchase. The brakes are Hyundai strong, but are very difficult to modulate leaving your passengers thinking that it is time to turn in your driver's license and take Lyft for the rest of your life. The brakes are very grabby, leading to choppy stops, but they will never leave you wondering if you will stop in time. The entertainment system seemed to have some hiccups with my apple phone interface but most of the issues probably were simply a learning curve. In all, it is the only Nissan product I would ever consider as a Vibe replacement, but as with their other offerings, it won't make my buy list.
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

As always, really interesting to read the impressions here, glad people are still posting these thoughts.

We've been thinking about replacing the wife's still-young Corolla because our kids are getting older and tall and I would love some more cargo room (and I guess their comfort counts for something, too). We did a road trip in 2019 and it was great but the trunk was crammed.

While my Vibe has some minor/non-urgent issues, after making a couple of dump runs today and saving myself $50 vs. hiring a guy who might actually take our junk to the dump or might just dump it in a field, it sort of reaffirmed my desire to keep my 08 until it falls apart.

Anyway, I sat in a 2022 Tucson the other day. I like it. Nothing bothers me more than going into some of these elevated crossovers in the C$30000 range and wondering whether they've got the cargo capacity to match the Vibe. But while the outgoing model was a bit smaller, this is definitely a lot closer to a RAV4 in size.

I'm curious about the Corolla Cross that's coming out later this year. The styling is ... fine (as long as it's not an Aztek or a Nissan Cube I'm generally good, though), but it seems like it might slot in somewhere between something in that RAV4 territory and a Seltos or Kona. Might be just the right size for me, though I wonder whether the price will be at all palatable.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

the new Tucson feels a LOT bigger than the Rav 4. The interior design is stellar. For me, a single driver, I don't need that much steel following my b&tt around all day with no specific purpose. As a solo driver, I love the size of the last Tucson and current Sportage. Sadly Kia is bringing the longer Sportage to the US instead of the "perfect" size smaller Sportage now only found overseas. The Kona is way too small for a family or even a solo driver.
If you can tolerate the larger size of the Tucson, I highly encourage you to shop it against the Mazda CX5 and especially the Subaru Forester. The Forester is cavernous inside and has been a very reliable performer. The CX5, has been a STELLAR performer for many years and is a blast to drive. My biggest gripes with these SUVs is the center console. They put too much junk in the center stack and pin your driver's leg into one position, hindering you from stretching out the cramps on long trips. Seat comfort and "floppin' around room," as well as how large the rear brake lights are, are three of the most important things I look at. Right now, the outdated Crosstrek is still my #1 vehicle should one of our cars flip over and burn. I'm hoping against hope that our cars will last until the next iteration of the Crosstrek where I will no longer see a stupid emergency brake taking up needless leg room (width) for the driver.
And you are welcome about what seems to amount to "my personal blog" on this site. I'm kinda stunned that more people don't add to this thread based on what they see at auto shows or in the showroom.
Last thought: depending on how large your family is or will be, don't discount Honda's or Toyota's minivans. Their designs are incredible and give you the most dollar value for the interior size and accoutrements.
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

We wound up sitting in a RAV4 last week as we were looking around (Hyundai and Toyota are right next door and we had to book my wife's service). Agree about the feeling of the interior. I haven't looked at spec sheets but I assume they're quite similar in measurements but the Tucson did feel much roomier.

We actually went in to check out the new Sienna. I think it's a compelling package -- pricing is competitive with the Odyssey... I'm sure the Odyssey might be a bit nicer and a little more enjoyable to drive, but that fuel economy, with it coming only as a hybrid... really good. Unfortunately it's apparently in really high demand right now and they've got a waiting list for people who want to buy it. So nothing to see at the dealership. In all honesty, a vehicle that size might be overkill for our family, but it would still sure be nice for any sort of trip.

I haven't sat in a Forester since 2018 when we bought my wife's car, but I remember really liking it -- at the time we just opted for a smaller vehicle, with the expectation that once we'd finished those Corolla payments we'd buy a Vibe replacement. Thing is, finances have changed, COVID happened and now I've got this feeling that I want to see just how long the Vibe will last (a long time, I think!)... so in hindsight it would've been better to simply bite the bullet and get the bigger vehicle. Alas!
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Caretaker wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:52 pm. I'm kinda stunned that more people don't add to this thread based on what they see at auto shows or in the showroom.
can't speak for others, but for my part, it comes down to buyer's remorse. I avoid that. I pulled the trigger about 2 years ago, and from the day I drove the new one off the lot, I stopped paying attention. I didn't want to keep looking at other models, new cars, new features, better deals. Goes back to the early days of PCs. At some point you'll buy in, knowing that if you wait a while what you bought will be cheaper, and new more glorious things will be available for what you paid. but at some point you've got to buy in. It's like the tag line for the weird coin commercials on TV, "Avoid disappointment and future regret"

I still compare what I bought to other things I ride in, but the pandemic has seriously limited that. I did get to spend another week as a passenger in a relative's 21 cx5, and again, I like mine better. This time, things that bugged me about the cx5 were that the rear seats fold down, but not nearly flat. Also, the rear seat headrest hits the back of the front seat unless the front seat is too far forward for me to fit in. And, the front door opening is short on foot space, should be able to just get in and out of the car, not require planning on how to fold your legs to do so.

As for flop around room, my first car was a '69 dodge, had a front bench seat. Came in handy when my right leg was in a crotch to ankle cast, just dropped that over to the passenger side and drove left footed (good thing it was an auto tranny)
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, my '69 valiant with the slant 6 and the square door vents under the driver's and passenger's legs was brilliant. Its not about buyer's remorse, but sharing information. Your comment about the cx5 is spot on: the rear passenger seating area is pathetic and poorly designed. Comments like that help the next person to keep on the lookout for things they might overlook when a barely high school graduate salesperson is talking in their ear the entire time they are trying out a model. Moreover, your comments are vital when the entire automotive industry fawns over the CX5 (and rightfully so) because while it is a great purchase, a person who requires a flat floor or additional room for adult golfing buddies might not think about such things when the rest of the car says "buy me." Any fool can blindly walk in and pick the pretty red one and drive away ignorantly satisfied........and that very same type of customer will deny on the spot that they will trade the thing in less than 5 years, but they will; dealerships live for those types of people. For those of us who go the distance with our cars it's critical to get input from others to make an informed decision. I think I'm right because lots of friends and relatives write me asking for automotive advice. I also give advice to many strangers on nextdoor.com when I see a person searching for a good used car or asking about current models. Given most Vibes are leaving the road via accident or age, I would think there are many on this page who might benefit from other's research when determining what's next.
KingKrab65

Post by KingKrab65 »

Really not looking to buy a new car especially in these WAY overpriced market conditions. The things that are mentioned in the previous posts are interesting but not really what I am looking at for my future vehicle.

My wife passed away recently, so now I have an abundance of vehicles. I have my '03 Vibe, her '14 Avalon Hybrid and my '05 Dakota. I had thought about trading the Vibe and Avalon in on a "newer" hatchback but not a new one. Maybe something from '18 or '19 and that could be my retirement vehicle in a few years. I have to consider mileage for my new vehicle but I enjoy some pep in it too. The SUV market has no attraction to me at all. I kind of looked around for a Corolla or Civic but the prices for the used ones are just prohibitive especially since I don't have to have a car right now. So, I will just keep cruising around and waiting out the market.
2003 Base Vibe
Caretaker

Used Cars

Post by Caretaker »

Haven't had any showroom time lately. I've been busy helping a man, just weeks away from homelessness, to buy a used car. I found him a 2003 Buick Century, loaded, with only 100,000 miles. The car has been well maintained and we even put a call into the (former) owner's mobile mechanic to discuss the lights on the dash and other maintenance questions. For $2200, I think I got my friend a good deal to tie him over. Searching nationally on cars.com, everything $1500 and lower had "some transmission shifting issues" or "was for parts only." So given that dealers are gobbling up anything decent, I think we did OK grabbing this before it was posted outside our nextdoor web pages.
The ABS light and one other light remain on, apparently related to a speed sensor which will cost about $250 to fix. As long as there are not any significant drivability issues..... I was amazed how calm the 3.1 liter engine idles and how I was able to let go of the steering wheel for 2 blocks with the car staying perfectly straight, to include when I hit the brakes. Lots of little broken plastic pieces here and there, but hopefully I did well.
I did see my first Hyundai Santa Cruz roll by the house the other day and saw my first Outback with the wilderness package on the road. Sure caught my attention. With autoline reporting that GM is shutting down all of its North American plants for awhile, I'm guessing putting money into repairs will be a necessity thanks to the chip shortage.
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

We wound up getting unexpectedly quite serious about replacing my wife's Corolla this month. Our kids are growing and the Corolla continued to feel like it was shrinking (and no one except me wants to take the Vibe on a longer trip!)

Did a bunch of tire-kicking and ended up buying a CR-V, which was my wife's favourite to drive. We drove the Honda, a Hyundai Tucson, the Forester and checked out a bunch of other models -- Tiguan, RAV4, CX-5... would've checked out the Taos too, but apparently some sort of recall was in effect(?) and our nearby VW shop didn't have anything we could see.

I liked the Forester the best, but it's going to be her car mainly and with the overall stock issues, the trim that was available locally was *thousands* more than the CR-V we were looking at. There's also the problem that by most accounts, the local Subaru dealers are terrible. We were dealing with a great salesperson but I was a little concerned about how anything after-purchase issues would turn out (I generally am OK with paying a bit extra for dealer service through a warranty period, but I'd already sourced a well-regarded Subaru mechanic and had been considering the feasibility of taking warranty work to a place an hour-plus down the road.

Anyway, the CR-V seems quite nice. Good size, a ton of storage and plenty of room for me in the back, let alone our kids.

I thought the Tucson seemed nice to drive -- my wife hated the on-the-left speedo -- but I read enough about people dealing with weird transmission behaviour that it wasn't at the top of my list, either. Seems like a nice value in that segment, though.

As for the others, I don't really care for the RAV4's styling and again, model availability was an issue. Any trim with a sunroof was a non-starter to me -- I'm tall enough that my head hits the ceiling even with the seat at its lowest position. If they'd had base hybrids in stock, I might have given it a closer look. The Tiguan seemed competitive in size, but had the worst fuel economy and pricing was only so so... and I'm a bit skeptical when it comes to VW and reliability. I really wanted to like the CX-5 and I knew going in it was going to be a bit smaller than some of its competitors, but I still wasn't prepared. I don't think it qualifies as a family car for taller people. I think the Corolla had better rear-seat legroom with the driver's seat adjusted in a way I liked.

Now that we've got her car sorted for the next several years, up next is work for my Vibe -- I know a lot of stuff is due: brakes, there's a CEL (catalytic converter -- hasn't been causing any driveability issues), some new fluids across the board and that'll be a decent chunk of change to start with. On the plus side, my wife's newish winters on much-nicer steel wheels than my 13-year-old Vibe steelies are apparently the same spec. So looking forward to a winter tire upgrade.

I do wish there was a Vibe equivalent on the market. I'm hoping this work (and a good once over from my mechanic) will give me some peace of mind that my '08 has another 5+ years in it (not seeing a lot of action lately, due to the pandemic/remote work) ... but I really don't know what I'd go for if I needed something in a pinch. Much happier to get something new and drive it for 13+ years than buy used cars more frequently. This CR-V thing was not my preferred form of car purchase... the Corolla had(has) a lot of road ahead of it still.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

jamsandwich wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:35 pm So looking forward to a winter tire upgrade.
Nice update on your situation. You mentioned "winter" a few times but have no idea how bad or mild of winters you've encountered. Are you in a rust belt region? Great Lakes region? Any area where the Vibe is subjected to massive corrosion? Just curious how structurally it's holding up if you're driving it in hard winter weather.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Not a "new" car, but I have been looking to upgrade our very rusty CRV. Took a 2016 CRV for a spin. Meh. It was a base model, and had a boatload of miles, but was a southern car so we considered it. Took a 2013ish Pathfinder for a spin..Not bad, but since we didn't HAVE to buy, we decided to hold off for the right deal.

Then we stumbled on a 2012 Highlander Limited. Took it for a spin and we loved it. Great room for people and objects, can tow up to 5k, rides like a dream (compared to the Vibe/CRV we own). Ended up bringing it home.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Caretaker

CRV and Highlander and Stop/Start

Post by Caretaker »

CRV and Highlander: both excellent choices. I sat in my friends 2021 CRV and found that the Vibe has more driver's leg room. I'm looking forward to Honda's HRV and CRV updates next year. Interesting update on the Crosstrek on Motorweek to start their 41st year off. Rarely do they have a negative word to say about their test cars, as I believe they get their car on loan rather than outright purchasing them like Consumer Reports does. While still having glowing things to say about the Crosstrek Sport, they really ripped into the stop/start feature stating that it shakes very hard when starting up again at a light. I'm guessing the feature is specific to that model and would not necessarily carry over to the other Subaru models? Not having owned a vehicle with stop/start, is it something that can be turned off light lane departure correction features?
zbyers

Re: CRV and Highlander and Stop/Start

Post by zbyers »

Caretaker wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 am Not having owned a vehicle with stop/start, is it something that can be turned off light lane departure correction features?
There are usually modules you can buy to bypass start/stop. I don't think you have a way of actually turning it off. There are other tricks too..If it has that "sport shift" nonsense, put it in that and usually shift all the way up. Or something along the lines of letting of the brake when at a light, then stopping on it again starts it back up and keeps it running.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

tpollauf wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:56 pm
Nice update on your situation. You mentioned "winter" a few times but have no idea how bad or mild of winters you've encountered. Are you in a rust belt region? Great Lakes region? Any area where the Vibe is subjected to massive corrosion? Just curious how structurally it's holding up if you're driving it in hard winter weather.
Western Canada, so plenty of snow. Structurally it seems fine but definitely some rust. The most serious bit of rust was a connector for some wiring detached by the rear bumper but all major structural bits still seem OK. Planning on getting a good once over from a trusted mechanic before sinking a bunch of money into the needed work.

Also some cosmetic rust on the roof above windshield from rock chips in paint thanks to the large amounts of gravel on our roads. It's been a few years since I stopped trying to fight the losing side of that battle. I think when some of the chips I'd sanded/touched up started to bubble up anyway.

I do worry that rust will be what ultimately does the car in. But if I can get another 4/5 years (or more) out of this it'll be everything I'd hoped for and then some.
Last edited by jamsandwich on Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jamsandwich

Post by jamsandwich »

I hate to double reply but on the stop-start front it's a feature that can be disabled on the CR-V, but you have to hit the button every time you start the car - it's not one you can set to off and forget. I haven't noticed it very much but haven't been driving in Eco mode yet (trying to learn our baseline fuel economy).

I don't love auto off but I think part of it is a suspicion of starters -- that was a point of frustration with my first car after the starter went and the replacement failed shortly after. When it does kick in on the Honda you do notice it but it's not particularly jarring or anything
joatmon

Re: CRV and Highlander and Stop/Start

Post by joatmon »

Caretaker wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:03 am Not having owned a vehicle with stop/start, is it something that can be turned off light lane departure correction features?
in my '19 forester, there are buttons to disable a lot of the tech, including the auto stop/start, lane departure, auto panic braking, auto backup collision avoidance braking, etc. they all reset to enabled when you start the car. the stop/start is weird until you get used to it, then its trivial. the start after auto stop does shake my forester a bit more than it does in the 21 cx5 i've mentioned earlier in this thread

but i've only had the car for two years, might feel different if (when) i have to replace the starter
Caretaker

New Car Buying: What To Do Now?

Post by Caretaker »

I got an email from Michael Karesh at True Delta (car maintenance database) this morning and I sent him this reply to his request to update our data base entries:
I would wager that if anyone has their full faculties, they still have the same cars they had 2 years ago. With the chip shortage creating the falling dominos of no new inventory, dealerships gobbling up all used cars they can get their hands on, and airport car rentals buying used cars to fill their depleted inventory, there has been a one additional casualty which needs addressing.
As a former resident of the DC/Baltimore area, for 30 years, I used the United Buying Service for all car purchases. From my research, there simply was no better buying service in the country. As of a few weeks ago, UBS' phones have been disconnected. I was up in DC last week attending the Genesis concert (ironically named The Last Domino) and stopped in to several dealers in Mt. Vernon and phoned the last known UBS Subaru dealer (Farrish). As the smug GM at Brown Mazda pointed out: "we no longer are in a race to the bottom." There is no incentive to offer anything below MSRP, as they now clobber buyers with the worthless paper processing fees and advertising fees of $1,000+ of pure profit.
I never did receive a definitive answer regarding UBS' status and whether they will ever return. With all credit unions now simply using True Car, I'm very pessimistic about ever getting a deal again, just when we are getting very close to needing 3 new cars. As a car enthusiast, I'm writing you to see if you can share any wisdom on what a buyer should do. While the upside is that most dealers are sticking with MSRP only and will order your car the way you want it, it will take approximately 3 months to get it delivered. While the sane and logical answer is to keep repairing one's car until the bolts fall off, I wanted to suggest that you provide any insight you may have gleaned regarding the best way to purchase a new car now. As a long time fan of Autoline (Detroit), I am thinking of sending John and Sean McElroy the same suggestion to see if they can do a segment on this topic.

Feel free to share your thoughts.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I too got the same email from Mike, but have not responded yet and might not. Unlike your situation, I plan on keeping my fleet as is for a good 10+ years as they don't get driven much so they'll last a bit longer. One in my Fleet, my original purchased 1992 F-150, only has 66k miles on it but needs minor body work and a full repaint. Outdoors the entire 30 years of ownership took it's toll on it! $5K is my rough budget (I'm doing ALL the work) and it will be like new again! I feel many owners will pay the extra $$$ to keep their current rides going until we get through this pandemic, if we do at all! :o
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

.....right, and assuming dealerships ever go back to having inventory on their lot. That might end here and now. Now it comes down to: if they are going to all charge MSRP, then the only discriminator is the dealership fees. I looked up the ones that don't charge any fees in FL. I can at least try to use that as a bargaining chip with my neighborhood dealer, informing them that I'll just drive the extra 25 miles to the dealership that doesn't levy $699 in bogus fees.
joatmon

Re: New Car Buying: What To Do Now?

Post by joatmon »

Caretaker wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:19 am I was up in DC last week attending the Genesis concert ...
imho, all downhill since Gabriel left, but if you're a fan of new stuff, maybe you should check out a GV70
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

WIth Phil's voice at 60%, I would have expected Tony Banks to twist Peter's arm to join the tour and give Phil a vocal break at the very least. He owes it to the band after they bailed him out in the early 80's. As this tour is really a thank you from the fans to Genesis, I'm glad I added my voice to the communal gratitude. As for Hyundai's offerings, I have enjoyed sitting in the back of several Genesis models, dreaming what it would be like to sip ruby port as my chauffer drove me grocery shopping. The new Kia Sportage hybrid is what I'm trying to hold out for. It is the only car I can remember that I would order sight unseen; the reviews are that positive. Kia also knocked it out of the park with the upcoming Niro. Genesis? I'll have to keep dreaming and sip my port at home.
Caretaker

Ford Maverick

Post by Caretaker »

Just strolled over to my Ford dealer, a manufacturer I have never done business with, especially with the issues I had with my half baked Mazda 626 engine in days gone by. Anyway, after Car and Driver and Motorweek's fawning over the new small pickup, the Maverick, I decided to go have a look. The nice elderly salesman told me that they didn't have any and that the inventory number listed on their website was for in transit vehicles. He also said that they would receive a demo model before any real deliveries arrived. While I can't get past my "since Ford could never build a car that was worth a damn, why would I now trust them to build me a reliable truck/ SUV" prejudice, the premise of a base model hybrid truck that gets (circa) 43 mpg and is front wheel drive and has 4 doors, is simply too intriguing to ignore.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

I like the idea of the Ford Lightning, but I'd rather give up half the rear seat for a longer bed which isn't an option, and of course, can't justify the price. But I really like the idea of an electric you can use the battery for more than propulsion.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

jamsandwich wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 1:18 pm I'm curious about the Corolla Cross that's coming out later this year. The styling is ... fine (as long as it's not an Aztek or a Nissan Cube I'm generally good, though), but it seems like it might slot in somewhere between something in that RAV4 territory and a Seltos or Kona. Might be just the right size for me, though I wonder whether the price will be at all palatable.
The 22 Cross is on the Toyota website, lists starting MSRP for the base at $22.5K, for the AWD at $26.3K. Exterior dimensions are really close to a Vibe, 169HP to a CVT, MPG (city/highway/combined) 2WD 31/33/32 AWD 29/32/30
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

yep. I went to the dealer a few days ago to see the Corolla Cross, once again getting duped into another dealer's shady webpage that shows them in stock when they are in fact still in transit. I hate that. The TCC is one inch higher than a Crosstrek and one inch shorter and you don't have to get the unnecessary (in most real world driving circumstances) AWD package if you don't want it. The bad thing about not having it is that you are then stuck with a rear torsion beam instead of independent suspension.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Went to see the "new" 2022 CX-5. Although the seats have been improved, essentially it is the same 'ole same 'ole vehicle. Mazda makes 70% of their income off of that vehicle yet despite hooking up with Toyota (like Subaru has done), has yet to put out a hybrid version of this important vehicle for the company. According to the dealer, it is coming. While Mazda interiors are upscale and despite the CX-5 having an impeccable reliability record since its inception, the car is definitely off of my list. As in the past, the wide center console pins my leg in place with no wiggle room on the gas pedal whatsoever. Visibility outward is nowhere as good as a Forester or Crosstrek and the rear seat leg room is non existent. I actually had to wrap my legs on the sides of the driver's seat, as the salesman (with a straight face) spoke about how nice the foot room underneath the chair is. I also can't justify 24/30 mpg on a vehicle I plan on driving until the US goes fully electric. Honda, Toyota and Kia are coming out with additional hybrids, hopefully in time before my Vibe poops out. I'll cross my fingers and hope that at least Kia keeps legacy gear transmissions in their upcoming hybrids to soothe my CVT worries.
Bookworm

Post by Bookworm »

As someone who's spent the better part of two years car hunting, I want to say a few things.

1) I wish I'd read @KingKrab65's post; I'd have offered to take his Vibe off of his hands :)
2) The new car AND the used car markets are crap.
3) If it weren't for the sites like autotempest, carsforsale.com, truecar, cargurus, etc, I'd have had a REALLY hard time getting anything as specific as I needed. I didn't have the time to drive into every single damnable tiny lot to inspect their 18 cars to see if they had a CR-V - considering that all the cars look the same now. (Seriously. Park, side by side, a Nissan, Honda, Subaru, Ford, and Toyota of the same class, walk to the back, and tell me if you can figure out which is which based on the backside _without_ the badges)

I've noticed a lot of people talking about getting in and out of lots of newer cars to check for head room, leg room, and so forth - but I won't buy a new car. The last new car I bought was a 1998 Kia Sportage - and I miss that car, even though it was a lemon. (Just mine. A customer had the same model with all the same features but colour, and had none of my issues - like one of the cylinders firing a spark plug out of the head. Not kidding.)

I have very specific needs for a vehicle, because I'm an IT consultant. I need cargo space, I need it to be flat, I need good fuel mileage, and I need reliable. Hyundai, Kia, Subaru, Nissan, etc - they all end up with interesting issues as they age (Subaru, less so, but when they do, they're expensive due to the boxter engines). So, I was stuck with Toyota and Honda to be _sure_ I'd have a vehicle I could rely on, after doing solid maintenance.

In 2016, I bought a 2007 Vibe with 135k miles for $4026, TTL and registration out the door. I just paid $5450, TTL reg out the door, for a 2007 Toyota Matrix. THAT'S how bad the market has become, and I'm pretty darned happy with the price, even with four owners, and a Virginia car the first sevel years of it's life. No wrecks, nothing registered in the CARFAX databases, no flood notes, etc. The front seat is even still solid! No lardasses :)

I went through and looked at CR-V, Mazda CX-5, Toyota Yaris, Honda Fit, Subaru Forester, and of course, the Vibe/Matrix. I found a few Vibes that might have been good - but they had the 2.4 litre engine with the piston ring problems. I wasn't interested in that expense on top of buying the car AND doing all the unknown maintenance.

Dealers? They _lie_. ALL of them. Small, large, it doesn't matter. I can't tell you how many I went to look at a vehicle, and ended up wasting my time because it had leaks at the rear of the engine (just like mine), were salvage title cars claimed to be 'clean', or weren't salvage, but had VERY obvious unibody (frame) damage once you walked up to the car. They'd take photos from a slight angle to disguise the gaps between body panels, or just deny it had any "frame" damage. I checked a large Subaru dealer? They had a Vibe/Matrix on the lot (forgot which it was). They wanted a high price for it, and it wasn't that great. Then, when I crawled under it? Oil drops. They didn't even make an attempt to clean off the engine.

Things that they'd do.
1) Armor-all the engine compartment. Everything vaguely black or plastic in general would get shined.
2) Distorted pictures.
3) Not answer questions about the VIN number
4) Say it was there, and then when you get there, say it was "just sold". (A couple of those, I believed it. Mostly, in one case, because the sales guy said that he didn't have anything else on the lot that fit those descriptions other than the Impreza that needed to go to the transmission shop.)
5) List car as having a clean title - instead of a repair or salvage title. Or in a case or two, a bond title. (Bond title is better than the others - the bond travels with the title, so you can end up getting the bond back AND get a clean title)
6) List the car with a 'down payment' price as the 'sale price'. They they get huffy when you tell them you want to buy it for the price they listed as the sale price.
7) Distort how many people have "looked at the car" - when you can see on the sales site, like truecar, how many days they've had it listed.
8) Refuse to answer questions about where they _got_ the car. Auction, personal sale, trade-in, etc.
9) Try to sell a "car", but then in the details, it says they're just trolling for a scrap yard to sell parts - for a lot of money.

Right now, I'm feeling pretty good about it. Yes, I'll need new tires, shocks/struts, all fluids flushed out, spark plugs, pay for a full detailing and carpet cleaning, and transfer parts from my Vibe to the Matrix, but I'll have a car I can be pretty sure will take me to 299,999 miles if I need it to. The biggest downside? No roof rack. Minor downside? No "moon and tunes" speaker package or automatic mirrors.

Another thing I was watching out for? No turbo. I do NOT need something that'll blow out and cost me 2k to just buy the part.

thanks for letting me vent!