Quick advice on a buy - '06 w/manny tran?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
KRR

Quick advice on a buy - '06 w/manny tran?

Post by KRR »

Hi Viberz -

A couple weeks ago a guy with serious Vibe-envy (he had a giant Chevy pickup) turned left onto me when I was traveling @ ~50mph. Though I was paying attention and avoided a head-on, his side swipe spun me out into trees at roadside and we hit going backwards at probably ~40mph. I think my Vibe is totaled. I'll try and attach pics.

So I have been scouring the used market for a - any, really - replacement vehicle that is somewhat reliable and under ~$6K or less, and all in all it just doesn't get any better than the Vibe, I don't think. In the 28K miles since I first got it I never had any issues with my '06 base automatic, but in shopping I have become aware of the manual transmission issues.

There is an '06 with a manual 5spd a couple hours away that is at a price of $3K, clean Title (no accidents or salvage), 138K miles, and it looks to be in very nice shape. But I am very hesitant about that manual trans. The dealer says they just replaced the clutch, and that it has 'no known mechanical issues'.

Thought, input? Should I jump on it? Maybe go ahead and put a new PCM on it right away (I think that was the root cause of a lot of failures?). Would just a clutch replacement fix the faults, or is there a bearing that should also have been seen to? Etc...

Sorry to ask such broad questions, but I am drowning in all the info here and elsewhere, it's hard to filter what is pertinent, and I'm hoping that someone with a better knowledge can help narrow it down for me.

Many Thanks in advance!
Attachments
pSide.jpg
pSide.jpg (199.22 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
dSide.jpg
dSide.jpg (215.65 KiB) Viewed 1359 times
Caretaker

Re: Quick advice on a buy - '06 w/manny tran?

Post by Caretaker »

1. I'm glad you are OK. Nothing matters more than your family getting to see you at home each night.
2. I'd go get myself a lawyer. Insurance companies are worthless now as they don't even bother going after the offending party anymore. It's just payout and move on for them. Again, I'd get a lawyer and sue anyone who totals my working vehicle
3. Yes, there is plenty out there that is better than the Vibe. But if you must have a small car that can haul a washer or dryer and a nice load of lumber, then no, there isn't anything in that size like the Vibe.
4. If you are in a hurry, it does sound like the car you are looking at is a good value. This is a miserable time to be buying any car, new or used. Everything is stacked against you. But if you can find an actual owner selling their car, and it is a reliable make/model, then jump on it before every slimy auto broker grabs it and marks it up.

I'm very sorry for your troubles and am glad you are OK. This just is the most miserable time in automotive history to be forced into looking for a vehicle, especially if you are still working and need transportation to/from work. I wish you the best.
KRR

Post by KRR »

Thanks, Caretaker! Injuries were thankfully only soft tissue, and while painful hopefully not lifelong, so that's good. You are spot on about the insurance company, they are d*cking me around already, even though I do have a lawyer and have been a non-claimant customer with them for 40 years. They'll be named and shamed for their bad faith conduct when all is said and done. It is a really bad time to find a decent car at a decent price, no kidding,,,

Looked at reviews of the seller/dealer of Vibe mentioned above, and some are not so good. :( A owner-seller just popped up with an 07 that has a bit over 200K on it, looks nice and cared-for, but it came down from Up North where the roads get salty. I made a provisional offer a bit lower than asking but still fair by KBB estimation, and if he says OK I'll go take a look asap.

Still interested in peoples input re: the manual transmissions!

Thanks again, Caregiver! Vibe on! :D
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Wow ... sucks about your loss of the Vibe :( Glad no serious injuries happened. Were the airbags deployed? If not, this would be a nice project repair for someone who has a LOT of time on their hands! Clean rear end Vibes are everywhere, mainly because almost all totaled cars wipe out the front ends first. How much is Insurance company giving you? As far as answering your original question, I recall it was the early Vibe years BUT not sure when the bearing issue was resolved. Definitely 03 & 04 models & maybe 05. Others more familiar here will chime in and help. Also glad to see you'll seek out and own another Vibe. They are great little cars ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
KRR

Post by KRR »

Although it wasn't a rear end collision, it *was* a rear end collision when all was said and done :D and so the airbags stayed put. Powertrain has only 116K on it. That's what *really* bums me out, and I know that the insurance pukes are going to lowball me and won't have any idea of how much that is worth *to me*. I'm 55 and not a 'gotta get a new car' nut. This was going to be my last car, as a boater and not needing to drive much I figured I had a 100K+ miles of travel in the bank, so to speak - easily enough for 10 years or more.

I would stay with a Vibe for sure, but given the market am also not ruling out going back to an Astro/Safari van. Heck, it's so bad that I even have a query out to guy with a (blech) Honda!

Not sure what the insurance is going to offer - they are d*cking around to avoid paying out until they have to - 2 weeks and I don't even have a rental yet, much less word from an adjuster. The company is known to have a strategy of the "3D's" on their claims - Delay, Deny, Defend.
I'm adding a 4th "D" - Disappointed.
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Regarding the manual tranny...yes, the 5 speed can be problematic. No, replacing the clutch won't change it. Neither will changing the computer.

That said, generally speaking at this point if the tranny were to be a problem, it should have surfaced based on age, different drivers, etc.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
KRR

Post by KRR »

Thanks for the help. I've been unable to find, or get an answer from a seller with a good Vibe. So...
Looks like I will be moving over to the Vibe's 'brother from another mother', a Scion xB.

Like the Vibe, it's really a Toyota by another name. I'm going Wed to pick it up.
...It's a sad/happy situation.
No word yet from insurance co.
Attachments
xB.jpg
xB.jpg (128.05 KiB) Viewed 1318 times
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Yep, you've got yourself a boxy Corolla on your hands. You now have a reasonably reliable car with all the positives and negatives of owning one. Let's hope you won't suffer the punishment of replacing the timing cover gasket ($2 value) for the insulting price of $1,000-$2,000. I'm thrilled you found something and are no longer hostage to the worthless insurance company which will get back to you sometime in 2022.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

xB's are pretty cool. No Vibe, but still cool
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

that's a sharp looking toaster!
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe