Not the headlight bulb!

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
OrangeMamba

Not the headlight bulb!

Post by OrangeMamba »

In my 06, the left bulb was burnt out so I got another one. Well, it isn't the bulb! Also, my interior lights aren't working. I checked the headlight fuses and they are fine.

What else can I check?
SlammedNiss

Re: Not the headlight bulb!

Post by SlammedNiss »

OrangeMamba wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 6:40 pm In my 06, the left bulb was burnt out so I got another one. Well, it isn't the bulb! Also, my interior lights aren't working. I checked the headlight fuses and they are fine.

What else can I check?
If you (or possibly a previous owner) ever had higher wattage bulbs in there, it might have melted the plug. Do you have a voltmeter? If so, start checking at the plug then work your way back from there. Also, interior lights and headlights are different fuses in case you didn't know. Is your radio keeping memory after you turn off the key? Because that's the same circuit as your interior lights.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Which interior lights aren't working, the overhead dome lights, the dash lights, or all of them?
OrangeMamba

Post by OrangeMamba »

joatmon wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:10 am Which interior lights aren't working, the overhead dome lights, the dash lights, or all of them?
Actually the dome lights are working.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

Good question joatmon, I just assumed he meant the dome lights when somebody says interior lights. Still, interior dash lights should be on a separate fuse than the headlights. But, that might mean something is wrong with the switch on your steering column. That still should be easy to diagnose with a voltmeter. Pull off the steering wheel shroud and find the plug that leads to the switch. Pretty sure the parking lights and dash lights are negative trigger and ran by relays.

Are your parking/corner lights working?
2011 Rav4 Sport
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

I agree with checking the socket for voltage and going from there. Does the high beam work on that side?

If you checked the fuses visually, check again with a continuity tester, or swap them side to side. Check the new bulb as well.
OrangeMamba

Post by OrangeMamba »

andrewclaus wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:21 pm I agree with checking the socket for voltage and going from there. Does the high beam work on that side?

If you checked the fuses visually, check again with a continuity tester, or swap them side to side. Check the new bulb as well.
High beam doesn't even work.
SlammedNiss

Post by SlammedNiss »

OrangeMamba wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:35 pm
andrewclaus wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 2:21 pm I agree with checking the socket for voltage and going from there. Does the high beam work on that side?

what about parking lights? Do you have a volt/multimeter? If not, go pick one up. You don't need a fancy one. Harbor Freight has them under $10 and Amazon has one for around $13. Just a basic one will do. Then, once you have one, start probing. Check at the plug for 12v on both high and low beams, then check continuity to ground just in case. Then, if you have nothing, pull down your steering column shroud and check for power and ground there at the headlight switch plug.
2011 Rav4 Sport
OrangeMamba

Post by OrangeMamba »

SlammedNiss wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 5:14 pm
OrangeMamba wrote: Mon Mar 29, 2021 4:35 pm

what about parking lights? Do you have a volt/multimeter? If not, go pick one up. You don't need a fancy one. Harbor Freight has them under $10 and Amazon has one for around $13. Just a basic one will do. Then, once you have one, start probing. Check at the plug for 12v on both high and low beams, then check continuity to ground just in case. Then, if you have nothing, pull down your steering column shroud and check for power and ground there at the headlight switch plug.
Cool. Thanks!