205/60/R16, still enough power?

Wheel and tire information and upgrade discussions
Brotherdave

205/60/R16, still enough power?

Post by Brotherdave »

New ‘04 owner with a tire size question. Many here recommend replacing the factory 205/55/R16s with 205/60/R16s. I know this 3.2% increase slightly exceeds the 3% max typically recommended, will throw off the speedometer reading, may reduce mpg, and may increase brake/suspension wear. I can live with all that. But I’d absolutely LOVE the smoother ride and increased ground clearance (scant 0.4 inches that it would add).

I’ll be driving a lot of mountain roads and steeply graded interstates in the west. My question for those who’ve made this change in tire size is, how much did it affect power? Did you notice a difference in hill climbing performance? More downshifting of your AT? Any other performance changes such as reduced a/c output from lower rpm’s in slow city driving? Anything else I haven’t considered? Also, does anyone know if Discount Tire will install these “oversized” tires, or will I have to go somewhere else?

Thanks in advance for any input.
Mark

Re: 205/60/R16, still enough power?

Post by Mark »

I've been running 205/60s on my Vibes for years now, and haven't noticed any difference in power or shifting. The speedometer is now spot on instead of being off by 1-2 mph at higher speed. If any of the other issues you mention exist they're too minor to notice, for me at least. The improvement in ride quality is, however, very noticeable.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
Brotherdave

Post by Brotherdave »

Thanks Mark. I’ve seen your other posts about this tire size, but good to know you haven’t noted my specific concerns.
Mark

Post by Mark »

You're welcome, and welcome to the forum!
Brotherdave

Post by Brotherdave »

Pulled the trigger on the 205/60/16’s, Pirelli P7 All Season Plus. Pretty highly rated at Tire Rack. Discount Tire price matched Onlinetires at $81 each, and credited me $25 each for the Nexens they took off, so not bad. (The All Season Plus are cheap now since Pirelli discontinued and replaced with the new All Season Plus II.)

Tracks straight, quiet, and stable, and potholes aren’t such a shock to the system 😧. Thanks again for all the input about this topic on this and related threads.
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

No problem. yeah, I had the P7 Cinturato Plus. They were a definite upgrade in water dispersion and light snow. I haven't researched what the Plus II bring to the table as far as improvements. For sure, you are getting an excellent tire that is very soft and quiet. Congrats.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Mark wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:11 pm I've been running 205/60s on my Vibes for years now, and haven't noticed any difference in power or shifting. The speedometer is now spot on instead of being off by 1-2 mph at higher speed. If any of the other issues you mention exist they're too minor to notice, for me at least. The improvement in ride quality is, however, very noticeable.
Is it a smoother/quieter ride ?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Mark

Post by Mark »

cptnsolo77 wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:59 pm
Mark wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 1:11 pm I've been running 205/60s on my Vibes for years now, and haven't noticed any difference in power or shifting. The speedometer is now spot on instead of being off by 1-2 mph at higher speed. If any of the other issues you mention exist they're too minor to notice, for me at least. The improvement in ride quality is, however, very noticeable.
Is it a smoother/quieter ride ?
It is noticeably smoother, but the tire size didn't make any difference in tire noise. The Cooper Evolution Tour tires I have are easily the quietest tires I've ever had on the Vibes so far.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Got it ! Yes I have the same tires as well. They ARE the quietest tires I have had on the Vibe 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Brotherdave

Post by Brotherdave »

I would add that I don’t know how much of my quieter, smoother ride came from the larger tire size vs change in tire make/model (Pirelli AS+ from Nexen AH5). I will say that I did notice a small decrease in acceleration and steering response - not quite as sporty of a driving experience. Again, I’ll gladly take those hits in exchange the softer ride, but it’s something to be aware of.