Am new to forums, please be gentle

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JustVibing

Am new to forums, please be gentle

Post by JustVibing »

Hello GenVibe! As you can see, I am new here. I was shown this site when I first got my Blue 07 Base Vibe.

Anyway, my Vibe has 199K miles on it and it was sitting in a parking lot without running for 2-3 years at the point I purchased it. Once we got a new battery in it, it started right up. Is there anything I should be weary of?
2007 1.8L Base Wave Blue Vibe
joatmon

Re: Am new to forums, please be gentle

Post by joatmon »

Welcome to genvibe! Some car forums are full of attitude, don't well tolerate people with less than expert credentials. This place is not like that, you can ask pretty much anything without fear of trolls

The only thing I can think of right off would be to do an oil change, and perhaps a transmission fluid change. A car that is run up to operating temperature can boil off any water condensation that may occur, but sitting for years might get some water condensation inside, best to start with new clean lubricants.

At least here in MD that is. I know people out in the dry west have only heard about this thing called "condensation"

Pretty cool that it started up after sitting for so long
andrewclaus

Post by andrewclaus »

There a lots of things to be weary of, but I assume you mean wary.

You may need new tires.

Depending on the humidity where it was stored, there may be corrosion inside cylinder walls and heads, and above the oil line in the transaxle. Change engine oil, coolant, and transmission fluid. If the engine is running well and the transmission is working, count yourself lucky.

Brake friction surfaces may be corroded, but those can often be resurfaced. Brake fluid should be changed.

You'll probably need wiper blades.
JustVibing

Post by JustVibing »

The Vibe actually does drop into gear and is able to move under it's own power. We are currently fitting the power hatch stuff on it, but we will soon be changing all if not most of the fluids and the brakes.

I'm an hour south of Chicago, humidity lately has been pretty low other than rainstorms.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D Do you have any idea why it sat so long? Bad title? Death from owner? Divorce or other relationship issues? Just curious. Post pics of this Vibe when you get a chance. Oh, lots of members here close to where you're from. Update profile for us showing location.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
JustVibing

Post by JustVibing »

Found in the back lot of the auto body shop my dad works at. Apparently it was a shop car and was left there by the previous building owner.

Don't worry, I'll post an image soon.
FatherTime

Post by FatherTime »

I acquired an old 88 Ford Tempo that sat in a garage (up north) for 5 years. Biggest issue I had to deal with was rust underneath, especially brakes and brake lines.
2009 Pontiac Vibe 1.8 FWD Manual Trans
JustVibing

Post by JustVibing »

Underside seems fine, we're just worried about the brakes right now.
jolt

Post by jolt »

Yes, all fluids should be changed and the brake system checked over. Brake calipers can get suck and the brake pads can get packed with rust from the rotors. If a manual transmission make sure the clutch is working properly and do not forget to bleed the fluid out of the clutch too along with all the other fluids. Check over all rubber parts on car in engine bay and under body. Belts, hoses, brake hoses, exhaust hangers, etc.... and get fresh gas in the tank along with some gas line antifreeze. The gas line antifreeze will help if the gas tank has gotten condition in it (water) from sitting out side all that time. Good luck!
JustVibing

Post by JustVibing »

All of that to be done.