2006 Headlight Assembly help, please

Park your vehicle in a thread here - list your vehicle info, pics, etc. all in one place.
rosebuds101

2006 Headlight Assembly help, please

Post by rosebuds101 »

Hi all - I really need some (free /cheap) assistance. As we all know, 2020 has been the year of "hold my beer - you ain't seen nothin yet..."

Well - last week at work and I'm driving on the 101 North Freeway around to Scottsdale, AZ and (picture this) traffic is moving at about 80 mph, there are 3 full lanes of traffic and one merging lane; I'm in the lane furthest away from the merging lane. I see something out of the corner of my eye. It's big (about 12" long, 8" x 8") and black and resembles a piece of railroad tie, only it's BOUNCING across the freeway at high rate of speed. I assume it was a piece of truck tire or heavy equipment tire based on the fact there is construction going on, and this random piece of kraken is headed right for me.

It literally BOUNCED over 4 cars before connecting with a hard THUMP into the front end of my perfect little Betsy. Up to now, she had not sustained any body damage in the 14 years I've had her. Instantly, my headlight was shattered. I could neither swerve (lanes full of vehicles) nor could I slam on my brakes - too dangerous and the pickup behind me... well... it would have been devastation.

My driver's side headlight was demolished. There is a dent in the hood with the remnants of black as a scar of destruction. Betsy is currently a cyclops. The entire assembly will have to be replaced. Now... a very loving and dear friend has found, purchased, and has in transit, a PAIR of headlight assemblies to replace on Betsy. Just to be funny, he also bought eyelashes... to cover the scar of destruction.

I need to know if this is something I should be able to install myself and searching YouTube did not net me any clear (albeit, it was a short search) videos on how to replace the entire assembly. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Is there anyone in here that lives in the Peoria/Phoenix, AZ area that might be able to offer guidance to a kind, raucous grandmother?

Thank you for listening!
Rosebuds101
SlammedNiss

Re: 2006 Headlight Assembly help, please

Post by SlammedNiss »

rosebuds101 wrote: Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:11 pmIs there anyone in here that lives in the Peoria/Phoenix, AZ area that might be able to offer guidance to a kind, raucous grandmother?
I wish I did, but moved away in the early 2000's. If you're wiling to drive to Queen Creek, my best friend works on cars and I could probably arrange some assistance.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I do believe that you have to remove the bumper skirt to get to one of the bolts holding on the headlight assembly. I'm glad you are OK. Kudos to you for not panicking in heavy traffic and using your car in your favor to protect you from the debris. Most drivers would have panicked and caused a catastrophe, usually deadly catastrophe. You did the responsible thing and I'm sure the 6 or so drivers along side and behind you would thank you if they had the chance.
Here's a video for the Toyota Matrix headlight assembly replacement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W07zwJUMo1Q
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

Sorry to hear about the war wound. Good news is, you absolutely can take care of it yourself.

That video that Caretaker referenced is the exact procedure for the Vibe too. Basically just need a 10mm socket, and a Phillips screwdriver for those bump stops.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe