Update and questions....

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
littleVibber

Update and questions....

Post by littleVibber »

Hey everyone.
About a year ago, almost exactly, I purchased a 2004 Base Vibe. After all of the work I did to the car when I purchased it last year, I've taken it from 136k to 151k! I have to thank everyone that provided me information and suggestions when I bought the car and helped me fix the clock spring issue, and other issues. Since then I've replaced the original alternator and put a new battery in the car, and installed a head unit, and wired in everything for my 12" sub (overkill, I know).
I've enjoyed this car a lot. Not just the gas mileage or the space, but I just like driving a car that I don't have to worry about all the time.

I like it so much that I'm now looking at purchasing another Vibe!
I've got my eyes on a 2009 vibe that needs a bumper and has a seized engine, and I'm picking it up for $500. It has the 2.4l with the 5 speed auto and since I have to do an engine swap anyways, I was wondering what my options might be to replace the engine with another. I see that one of the options for this car is the 1.8l mated to a 4 speed auto. My biggest concern with either of these engines is oil burning and other issues that I might not have read about in the past few hours doing my research on this car and the engine options.

I was wondering what my options are for replacing the engine? I love the 1zz-fe that I have currently, but would it be a waste of time to throw a 2zr-fe in it with the 4 speed, and are there issues with that engine/trans? Could I do an engine and trans swap for the the 1zz-fe? Are there any "bolt on" engines that I could replace this crap 2.4l with?

I'm having a hard time finding information on engine swaps even here.
Any information would be great.
2004 Pontiac Vibe - 1ZZ-FE - 4 Speed Auto - 137k and going, moon and tunes package, Neptune Blue
zbyers

Re: Update and questions....

Post by zbyers »

The 2009/2010 uses a totally different 1.8L than the 2003-2008. None of the 1.8L engines were known to burn oil like the 2.4L did.

Even at that, your best bet is to drop another 2.4L into it, otherwise you'd have a slew of other things you'd likely need to change. Find the newest 2.4L you can and slap that in there. Supposedly the later ones rectified this oil burning issue, though there is no empirical evidence that it was actually resolved.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

littleVibber wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 12:26 am I've got my eyes on a 2009 vibe that needs a bumper and has a seized engine, and I'm picking it up for $500.
Yep ... I saw this same Vibe on craigslist in the Detroit area. This Vibe looks like it was really abused most of it's life. It likely had one of the oil burning 2.4L engines to the point where the owner/driver simply ignored the oil level and it died :x There should be LOTS of good used 2.4L engines out there with low mileage for $1000-1500. Not sure on exact compatibility but the Toyota Camry base engines are the same 2.4L engine and they made a LOT of them.

The front bumper and all associated components will set you back at least $500. Not many good used ones out there due to most accidents take out the front end of the car, not the rear. So you'll likely have $2000 or more total in this when all done. Something to think about before pulling the trigger. Hope you tackle this project and keep this Vibe on the road. :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
littleVibber

Post by littleVibber »

Oh yea. That vibe in Detroit is definitely the one that I was looking at. And cosmetic appearance aside, the owner said that it was pretty clean on the frame and such. But after literally spending the entire night last night researching the 2.4l 4cy, I think I'm going to find a pre-2009 vibe with one of the 1.8l engines. I love the new body style, but don't want to sacrifice reliability for appearance.

Thank you both for the recommendations it definitely made me hit the brakes on diving into that vehicle. Looks like the hunt is on for another vibe now.
2004 Pontiac Vibe - 1ZZ-FE - 4 Speed Auto - 137k and going, moon and tunes package, Neptune Blue
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

I certainly don't mean to rain on your parade, but as an owner of both generations of Corolla Vibes and straight up Corollas, and one who is a studious researcher of all my cars, the Corolla engine has been an oil burner for quite some time, to include the first generation Vibes and every other model that engine is found in. There are tons of videos on you tube demonstrating the "oil return holes" I believe they are called at the bottom of the pistons, are one leading source of the problem. I have had oil consumption problems with both of my Vibes. Oil consumption wasn't just confined to the 2.4 liter Camry engine. There are not many excellent used cars that have surpassed the Vibe's reliability record but they are out there: Fit, Civic, CRV, Highlander.........I just wouldn't go pinning your hopes on the Vibe being the end all "turn the key and go" vehicle you may be looking for.
littleVibber

Post by littleVibber »

I'm open to literally any suggestions. I just happen to really enjoy my 04 vibe and am looking for another even if it isn't a turn key solution. Thank you for the feedback and suggestion though....

And actually I found a 2009 red base vibe that has a locked up engine in my town that is literally perfect. Not even dings in the door..... I'm paying $350 for the title tomorrow and then I'm getting to work on ordering a 2.4l engine this week.
I know it's not the end all for reliability. But if I can find a decent engine with low mileage, I think this car could last me several years .. ya know?
Mark

Post by Mark »

My daughter's 04 base Frosty still doesn't burn any oil after ~195k miles. My wife's 12 CR-V has burned about a quart between changes (7500 miles) since we bought it new eight years ago.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

littleVibber wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:29 pm I found a 2009 red base vibe that has a locked up engine in my town that is literally perfect. Not even dings in the door..... I'm paying $350 for the title tomorrow
Now that sounds like a project car worth fixing! :D Just curious on the history of this one :? Mileage? Original owner?
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"