Arm Rest Console

Upholstery, floor mats, seats, window tint and anything inside the vehicle and not electronic
tjdean01

Arm Rest Console

Post by tjdean01 »

The arm rest console is too low on our 2008 base. I've seen some people talking about using the "old" console cover or a "2 stage" console cover but I can't find more info on this. Would either of these mods give me the extra 2-3" in height so our arms reach down to the console? If not, what is the purpose of using the console from previous years?

Whether I get another console lid or not, I need to increase height. I have some ideas about hard foam with adhesive, soft foam with adhesive on that, and wrapping it in black fabric. But that's not a great fix. Might as well just use a pillow. Any suggestions?
2008 base 1.8L 285k
joatmon

Re: Arm Rest Console

Post by joatmon »

I can't remember how thick the single lid is, but I just measured and the two piece lid is 3.75 inches thick. As ,much time as I've spent in a Vibe, I still have no idea how much I use the armrest as an armrest, probably a lot more than I realize, but I like the two piece lid for the extra little storage area it provides.
Mark

Post by Mark »

I've bought two consoles from junk yards, one for my 08 and then another for my 05 from a local junk yard from '04's and both also had the 12v outlet and harness. Both times I took the outlet, harness and double lid and threw the console away. Replacing the lid is a two screw operation, replacing the entire console is 4 10mm bolt operation.

And after driving my 04 for many years not having the armrest was very noticeable, and I really missed the top level storage for gum, pen, etc.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
ckeltner

Post by ckeltner »

I bought these oversized office chair armrest covers and they work perfectly. I wanted something that would both raise the level but I also provide a cushion because it looked as if the double armrest was still made of that uncomfortable hard plastic. I ended up stacking these one on top of the other and the band seems to hold them in place nicely. Not bad for $9.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LX ... UTF8&psc=1
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

I do have a double arm rest laying around I can part with if you need it.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
ZZvroom

Post by ZZvroom »

I'm just starting out with my new 2003GT.

One thing I see up front is the handbrake is too short or the console lid too long; I have to open it to use the brake.
Any solutions out there?
zbyers

Post by zbyers »

ZZvroom wrote: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:38 pm I'm just starting out with my new 2003GT.

One thing I see up front is the handbrake is too short or the console lid too long; I have to open it to use the brake.
Any solutions out there?
Do you have pics of the console lid in yours and/or of the e-brake handle. As far as I know, there is sufficient room. However, it is an awkward angle, especially if you have a drink in the cup holders.
'74 Thing, '79 El Camino, '83 VW DoKa '91 Vanagon, '03 Base, 04 GT
'06 CRV, '06 AWD, '07 Base, '12 Highlander Limited, '17 Frontier CCLB

Byerscrew Garage, GenVibe Facebook, How-To Index
Everything You Need To Know About the Pontiac Vibe
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

I have an 07 base model that had a single lid armrest. I found a 03 Toyota Matrix XRS in the junkyard with the clamshell armrest which I swapped into my vibe. It definitely raises up the height of the armrest and the added storage space is really nice. Not too sure on the the amount of height I gained but it feels better.
07' Pontiac Vibe Salsa Red