Remote Starter 2010 Vibe Base 1.8

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
d49829

Remote Starter 2010 Vibe Base 1.8

Post by d49829 »

Called an installer at one of the dealerships and was told I would either need to purchase an extra key for $60, or pay $100 for a bypass module to have a remote starter installed in my 2010 Vibe base (USA). I have seen posts stating that it is not necessary to purchase these?

Is there any way of telling by the VIN ?
SlammedNiss

Re: Remote Starter 2010 Vibe Base 1.8

Post by SlammedNiss »

You'll either need an extra key hidden under the dash or a bypass kit. An extra key can be purchased for cheap on ebay as can the bypass kit.
2003 Matrix Xrs Automatic - SOLD :'(
2011 Rav4 Sport
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

d49829 wrote:Called an installer at one of the dealerships and was told I would either need to purchase an extra key for $60, or pay $100 for a bypass module to have a remote starter installed in my 2010 Vibe base (USA). I have seen posts stating that it is not necessary to purchase these?

Is there any way of telling by the VIN ?
I believe any 2nd gen with remote door locks has the Immobilizer/Alarm.
You will also have the 'screen' with the flashing red LED to the left of the radio if you have the Immobilizer, and need a bypass
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

The second generation base USA Vibes do NOT need a bypass, key, or anything else. All Canada models DO need it.

To prove it, go to your local hardware store and get a cheap key copy made. If it will start your car, you need nothing extra.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
trb

Post by trb »

beemerphile1 wrote:The second generation base USA Vibes do NOT need a bypass, key, or anything else. All Canada models DO need it.

To prove it, go to your local hardware store and get a cheap key copy made. If it will start your car, you need nothing extra.
The chip keys are not standard on US models. I had an extra $1 key made for my 2010 GT and it worked just fine. There is a difference in the key surround where the key goes between the ones with and without the security features, plus there is a chip inside the remote fob on the key, as noted by a dot on the key itself. If the key is blank, then there is no chip.

http://www.keylessremotewarehouse.com/t ... c_p750.htm

Also, as you can see, mine did not have the Security light below the Passenger airbag light:

while those with the Security did have it like was mentioned, similar to this Matrix:
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

my 2009 key has the dot on the back of the key, and the blinking security light
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

ctgottapee wrote:my 2009 key has the dot on the back of the key, and the blinking security light

The original owner paid for the security system option, it was not standard.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Both our GTs have the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System. The majority of used 2nd gens I see do not have it which I find interesting.

As far as the ring around the ignition, if your 2nd gen is equipped with the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System, it will have a silver metal ring around the ignition. If your 2nd gen is not equipped with the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System, the ring around the ignition will be black plastic.

*EDIT: The RPO code for the Theft-Deterrent Alarm System is UA6, so you could also check for this code on the RPO sticker which is on the inside of the glovebox door.*
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

If you read the factory remote start add on installation instructions, it points out the difference in ignition modules, the immobilizer uses a later version.