new gen vibe member with an interstate driving question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
summit

new gen vibe member with an interstate driving question

Post by summit »

South Dakota is raising the speed limit on the interstate to 80 mph. I am considering buying an 07 vibe with a manual 5-speed transmission. will it drive on the interstate comfortably at 80 to 85 mph?
mikevibegt

Re: new gen vibe member with an interstate driving question

Post by mikevibegt »

Hello, i have 03 vibe gt with 6 speed i drove few times from Buffalo NY to Sarasota Florida and it drove really nice,i would reach those speeds on occasion. Now those two cars have completely different gearing and engines.Just to remind you to check for five speed failures here on the Gen VIbe.But I think they solved problems of input shaft bearing by 05 year, if you decide to buy the car I know you will fall in love with it just like many of us here on this website, and you will always have huge trove of information and help here from us guys. :)
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I would not expect any problems at all driving 85mph with any Vibe. They drive Toyota Corollas on the German Autobahn at even higher speeds. 85mph (about 130km/h) is the "recommended speed" there. I mean the suspension and brakes will handle it easily, the cooling system will be fine. However, you may find it rather noisy as it revs high and the wind blows. It will also raise fuel consumption significantly. My only safety worry would be cross winds.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

Mine seems to do fine at those speeds. My only complaint is that the engine rpm stays around 3000 or so. I would like to have a taller cruising gear for better gas mileage but overall it feels very smooth at 80mph. If you have warped rotors or any suspension issues they will be exaggerated the faster you go but any vibe in good shape shouldn't have a problem.
Derf

interstate drivability at new 80 MPH speed limit

Post by Derf »

Confirmed automatic Vibe can handle 85 MPH.... But this road was in excellent shape when I traveled, no potholes, gaps, and just a few small hills.
http://www.chron.com/news/houston-texas ... 979397.php
The on/off ramps are 65 mph... :shock: Maybe someone with a manual in Texas can confirm driving characteristics.
But..... double check the driveline. The tires will be making 1113 revolutions per minute! Any shimmy, shake, bump, or tire defect will be magnified. Proper alignment and tire balance is a must. Agree on wind noise anything, over 70 MPH especially into a headwind can get noisy.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Tire balance is critical for high speed driving. It could be a problem finding a shop that does it right. They need to have a top notch machine that spins the tires fast enough. In Germany pretty much every tire shop will get it right, in the US not so much. They get it good enough for the 70 mph speed limits.
At some point I was about ready to take my all seasons to a racing shop.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

summit

Post by summit »

Thanks to everyone for the great responses. I checked it out, but have not bought it yet.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Probably better to get something with a bigger engine, if you're going to be driving that fast.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

After recently getting back from a 5000 mile trip out west from Ohio, the automatic Vibe with it's teeny little 1.8l engine did just fine at 80 plus miles per hour. Took I40 through Albuquerque and Flagstaff To Las Vegas. On way back, Went back to Flagstaff, then down to Tucson, taking I10 almost to Houston with no problems doing 80mph plus,except for the wish for a couple more gears. Very stable even on worn out oem Goodyear Eagle RSA's....possibly one of my least favorite tires I've had.

Because of a nail in tire near a Walmart the other day, threw out all research on possible replacement tires and went cheap on what they had available in 205/55r/16's, and ended up putting on their special house brand Goodyear Viva 3's all around. I'll hold off on any real opinion for the time being.

Sams Club has an instant $70.00 on Goodyears right now. Tire Discounters looks to have some interesting deals too. Oh well.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Nasmfell wrote:Probably better to get something with a bigger engine, if you're going to be driving that fast.
Why?
Given that statement, 4cyl and diesel motors must not be sold in Europe.

Your fuel consumption will increase as stated, but, you will still go farther than the minivans and bigger engined cars, as you will still be in the upper 20's to low 30's in MPG's.
at 70MPH, I average about 28-29MPG on the highway (not flat), with all of the go-fast parts.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Nasmfell wrote:
Probably better to get something with a bigger engine, if you're going to be driving that fast.

Why?
^^^^^^^^^^
I couldn't have said it better myself.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

summit wrote:Thanks to everyone for the great responses. I checked it out, but have not bought it yet.
Adding my 2 cents to this topic. Definitely keep the Vibe as a viable vehicle option and DO NOT let a speed "limit" deter your decision. It's just a posted "limit" and not a mandate. In other words, you could still drive comfortably at 70mph in an 80mph zone and you wouldn't be alone. You'll do just fine. Now go out and purchase this Vibe and start enjoying the benefits of Vibe ownership ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

hotbug1776 wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:Probably better to get something with a bigger engine, if you're going to be driving that fast.
Why?

Your fuel consumption will increase as stated, but, you will still go farther than the minivans and bigger engined cars, as you will still be in the upper 20's to low 30's in MPG's.
at 70MPH, I average about 28-29MPG on the highway (not flat), with all of the go-fast parts.

True, but the wind resistance that would have to be overcome going at that speed, The diesel and 4s you mentioned probably are the larger ones 2 liters and up.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

Nasmfell wrote:
hotbug1776 wrote:
Why?

True, but the wind resistance that would have to be overcome going at that speed, The diesel and 4s you mentioned probably are the larger ones 2 liters and up.
The European diesels and the 4cylinder motors are usually set at 2l and below (for tax purposes), and use some form of forced induction to help with the power requirements. As are many of the other country's manufacturers engines, including the US.

Wind resistance? Are you driving a panel van? Aerodynamic design has come a long way since the 80's when you bought your E-350 conversion van. Even newer tractor trailer units are more aerodynamic. We aren't driving U-Hauls, we are driving some of the most fuel efficient vehicles of their time, and they are still quite fuel efficient by today's standards.

Let me just say this, if you are in a car that can't keep up with a dodge caravan on the highway, and be able to pass them if need be, you are in a MiEV or Yugo. The Vibe can run a 85+ MPH all day and never complain, even once.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I do not understand what difference that would make. My 1.8 AT will go 85 mph with no problem though it may struggle a bit going up hill. See my recent post on getting a little under 35 mpg on a 1,245 rt from Ohio to NC.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:True, but the wind resistance that would have to be overcome going at that speed, The diesel and 4s you mentioned probably are the larger ones 2 liters and up.
It has no trouble. I do a lot of driving at 85 MPH and have never had any issues. Now, if I need to pass someone doing 60 in a 75, the engine just can't do it too well, especially if the idiot I'm passing gets upset a "wimpy little wagon" is trying to pass.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:True, but the wind resistance that would have to be overcome going at that speed, The diesel and 4s you mentioned probably are the larger ones 2 liters and up.
It has no trouble. I do a lot of driving at 85 MPH and have never had any issues. Now, if I need to pass someone doing 60 in a 75, the engine just can't do it too well, especially if the idiot I'm passing gets upset a "wimpy little wagon" is trying to pass.

That's good to know. Thanks :)
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

I can confirm that an '09 GT automatic will run all day long on the German Autobahn at 100mph. :D At that speed, fuel consumption IS a problem. Normally I drive around 130-140kph. The Vibe likes that speed. (140kph = 87mph)
I guess the governor is set at 200kph, because I have not been able to get mine to go over 199. :(
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

enfield577 wrote:I can confirm that an '09 GT automatic will run all day long on the German Autobahn at 100mph. :D At that speed, fuel consumption IS a problem. Normally I drive around 130-140kph. The Vibe likes that speed. (140kph = 87mph)
I guess the governor is set at 200kph, because I have not been able to get mine to go over 199. :(
Geoff! Glad to see you post! I was just thinking about you and wondering how you and the Vibe are doing across the pond...
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Mark

Post by Mark »

My son used to compete in karate tournaments in Denver, 100 miles away. Frosty went up and down I-25 at 80 mph a whole bunch of Saturdays, and with the A/C on at least half of the trips. Still got ~34mpg avg per tank.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

enfield577 wrote:I can confirm that an '09 GT automatic will run all day long on the German Autobahn at 100mph. :D At that speed, fuel consumption IS a problem. Normally I drive around 130-140kph. The Vibe likes that speed. (140kph = 87mph)
Mensch, Mann! Your vibe looks fantastic with the Alps for a back drop. Which mountain are we looking at?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

bull77

Post by bull77 »

+1 - the engine noise from my 06 would drive me crazy for a prolonged drive over 120km/h.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

bull77 wrote:
+1 - the engine noise from my 06 would drive me crazy for a prolonged drive over 120km/h.

I would not doubt it :D
enfield577

Post by enfield577 »

vibrologist wrote:
Mensch, Mann! Your vibe looks fantastic with the Alps for a back drop. Which mountain are we looking at?
Sorry, in my Vibe-isolated area, I don't log in here much anymore, so I just now read this. :oops:

That is the Untersberg mountain between Berchtesgaden, Germany and Salzburg, Austria. The view is pretty much the same as the final scene in The Sound of Music (that scene was filmed 3-4km on up this road from here).
2009 Vibe GT Red Hot Metallic 2.4L
Garage - viewtopic.php?t=34799
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I drive 130miles round trip to work at 75-80mph in my 03GT. It happily hums along at 3500rpm. Getting 28-30mpg

I'd like to pick up a cruze eco 6M though.