Ipod Hook up

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
Bocaj77

Ipod Hook up

Post by Bocaj77 »

I have a 2004 Vibe Gt with navigation & 6 cd disc changer. I removed the cd changer under the passenger seat to put a amp. While doing it I was looking up wiring diagrams and noticed left & right audio outs. (see pics). I went to radio shack and the sell a 1/8 Stereo phone jack (see pics) I thought that I could tap into the audio outs from the old cd changer and get my ipod to work but I had no luck. Any suggestions on why it didn't work. I don't know if I wired the jack wrong or something else.
Attachments
Jackk.jpg
Jackk.jpg (149.83 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Connectorr.jpg
Connectorr.jpg (133.24 KiB) Viewed 1251 times
Derf

Re: Ipod Hook up

Post by Derf »

The jack you have is setup for audio cutout when then plug is inserted.

Try the following
VIBE CD.......Radio Shack Jack
1 > Left Audio....>2
2 > Right Audio > 5
3 > Signal Grnd > 1
4 > Drain..........> 1
Some CD changers have a feedback loop to tell the head unit that the disc is ready. There may be a trigger signal the OEM head unit is looking for before it makes the audio path from the CD changer active, not sure if the Vibe changer is setup this way.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Bocaj77

Post by Bocaj77 »

Thanks Derf, I will try again this weekend
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Not sure what you are trying to do but I think you need 'audio in' jacks not "audio out". I assume you are trying to play music on your Ipod through the stereo.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
Bocaj77

Post by Bocaj77 »

beemerphile1 wrote:Not sure what you are trying to do but I think you need 'audio in' jacks not "audio out". I assume you are trying to play music on your Ipod through the stereo.
The audio outs are from the old cd changer. The signal from the cd changer to the radio. I thought I could just tie in the jack and the ipod would become the new signal out. Im hoping what Derf recommeded will work.