Parts Replacements Help ..

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
AnGeLoS

Parts Replacements Help ..

Post by AnGeLoS »

Hello GenVibe

i have a 2003 base Vibe AWD .. im really new to this whole thing and wanna learn by my self how to do things .. first of all i wanna replace the Spark Plugs to the best that i can get and i'm kind of confused because i read some forums said that the Lazer Iridium are the best while on the NGK website it says that the only ones that fit my engine is the Iridium + platinum so i'm kind of confused on what to get

second Issue is the these plastic stuff that seems to be broken and i dont know what they are called or where to order them :
IMG_20140519_041003 (Medium).jpg
IMG_20140519_041003 (Medium).jpg (106.94 KiB) Viewed 1904 times
Thanks in advance
star_deceiver

Re: Parts Replacements Help ..

Post by star_deceiver »

NGK spark plugs will do you well.

As for those plastic clips, take them into your local Toyota dealer. They'll be much cheaper there than buying them from GM.
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

NGK has a full line of plugs that fit the Vibe. I'd recommend the Laser Iridium IFR5T11 or Iridium IX BKR5EIX-11, whichever is easiest/cheapest for you to find. Iridium will let you go longer between plug changes but don't necessarily offer better performance over copper or platinum. The plugs are very easy to replace on the vibe, only special tools you'll need are a spark plug socket and torque wrench.

Where did the plastic fastener come from? You may be able to find a part# by finding the part on a diagram. You can also take it with you to the parts store or dealer and try to match it up.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
jolt

Post by jolt »

That clip looks like it could be from a door panel. If you take the clip to a good parts store, they should be able to match up something that will work to replace it. As for the spark plugs, if you think you will get another 100,000 miles out of the car, then go for the higher end spark plugs. Just an old regular spark plug while go 20,000 miles on a good, clean running motor. I go for the cheaper spark plugs as my motors get high mileage on them and change the plugs more often. It is about how much do you want to spend and how often do you want to change them. If the car doesn't have 100,000 miles left in it or you are going to sale it before that, way spend the money on spark plugs you are not going to use?
cthomasparr

Post by cthomasparr »

I was able to find those clips on ebay. should be <$10 for a pack of 20 or 25, usually with free shipping. You have to wait a week or so to receive them. They are used throughout the interior panels and I can't say they are as good as the originals, but they are holding well. I wouldnt' expect that they can be removed and replaced many times. I couldn't find the equivalent at NAPA or any auto parts store.