Reminder; Check the pressure in your spare.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
beemerphile1

Reminder; Check the pressure in your spare.

Post by beemerphile1 »

We ran over something and punctured a tire. Put the temporary spare on and found that it only had 25 PSI. I carry a small compressor but we were only 3/4 miles from home so we just drove on the low tire.

I need to remember to check my spare occasionally but it is a pain because the thing has to be unbolted and removed from the well in order to check.

Just thought I would give a reminder that it needs checked annually if not more often. Don't get caught with an unusable spare.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
kaflex

Re: Reminder; Check the pressure in your spare.

Post by kaflex »

I have never checked the spare pressure with any cars I had. but like you I usually have a compressor just in case. I might have to have it checked when I get my tires swapped.

View my garage here:
viewtopic.php?f=30&t=41743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

beemerphile1 wrote:I need to remember to check my spare occasionally but it is a pain because the thing has to be unbolted and removed from the well in order to check. Don't get caught with an unusable spare.
+1

Also, you can use a little Meguiar's Hot Shine on the spare's sidewalls to prevent dry rot.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

It is definitely a PITA to remove the spare tire, but it is very important to check the pressure on it on occasion so it's ready if and when you need it.

I try to check ours at least every other month or so. Whenever I check them, they never seem to be more than a couple pounds low.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

I always check at oil change time.

The 4 on the ground seem to never loose pressure but the spare does. :?:
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

I know this pop-ups every now and then but just a reminder to everyone, check your spare pressure. ;)

I just checked mine after four years of ownership and it was down to 22 PSI.. touching wood.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Thanks for the reminder. The spare in the Vibe has often needed attention, so....

15 PSI! :shock:

The other four stay right where I leave them. Costco nitrogen filled. :lol:
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Amen to checking your spare. Last I checked it had a nice chunk missing on the thread...unuseable. Havent looked for a spare yet. Thankfully I have a air compressor & tire plugs :D
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

cptnsolo77 wrote:Thankfully I have a air compressor & tire plugs :D
I need one too. Mine practically exploded last time I used it. I hate shelling 40$ on a cheap portable compressor when I have my huge compressor in the garage.

Any recommendation on a good portable compressor that will last?
Last edited by cythraul on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

cythraul wrote:[quote="cptnsolo77"Thankfully I have a air compressor & tire plugs :D
I need one too. Mine practically exploded last time I used it. I hate shelling 40$ on a cheap portable compressor when I had my huge compressor in the garage.

Any recommendation on a good portable compressor that will last?[/quote]
http://www.harborfreight.com/4-in-1-jum ... 69401.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

had mine for 3 years now and use it frequently to fill things like mattresses and kiddie pools. I always take it with me on trips to be safe. It had a car charger, but the kids seem to have moved it.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

Funny. How apropos. When trying to stuff something else in the middle of the spare, under the "cargo tray package" I noticed that a quart of Mobil 1 0w-20 had leaked out and down through the tire and well. A real fun cleanup job. Since I had the spare out, I checked the pressure. 28psi. Interestingly, written in a yellow marker on the side of the tire was a "36". Cold maximum side pressure says 60. It is a Firestone. States 60psi in a couple different places. Wonder what the deal with the yellow "36" is about. Do they only fill it to 36 from factory? I filled it to 60-62 depending on what gauge I use.

On a side note, that Mobil 1 has been there a long, long, time. Never needed to top off. Last oil change, did go over 8000 miles before a change and probably could of put about a half a quart in,......and I guess I actually did, just unintentionally in the wrong place! I did not see any verified performance gains....or losses from adding oil in that unique application, although seat of the pants measurement says she still purrs like a kitten.

Only have about 31,000 miles on it so far, but mileage will be racking up faster in the next few years.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.