Exhaust question

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Daren

Exhaust question

Post by Daren »

I know this is the engine room but I figured the exhaust was sort of related...

I noticed the other day that I have a puddle coming from my muffler and now a small hole has started. I guess its time to upgrade. I don't have the funds to do a full system, with header and new cat, but I am looking at going cat back. Any ideas? I don't want a loud "fart can" exhaust but something a little more would be nice.

Thanks.
08 Silver stock with auto
SeattleJeremy

Re: Exhaust question

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Yes, this is the right part of the forum for Exhaust questions.

There are not many companies that make cat back exhausts for our cars, and Magnaflow is the only one that comes to mind.
http://www.andysautosport.com/pontiac/2 ... magnaflow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Rather than buying a premade cat-back system you can go to any muffler shop, and they will custom make a catback to your specifications. There are louder than stock mufflers that fit in the same spaces as the stock one, and any muffler shop can bend and match the stock tubes to make it work.
http://www.andysautosport.com/pontiac/2 ... 13015.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These links are just examples, these mufflers are available pretty much anywhere.
Hope this helps.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
Daren

Post by Daren »

It does help. I think I will just stop by a local shop and see what ideas they might have.

Thanks for the info.
08 Silver stock with auto
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Does that mean you will be throwing out old stainless steel exhaust components for new mild steel pipes? I would just replace the junk muffler. Here in the rust belt, non-stainless exhaust pipes don't last long! I'm not sure where you are located? probably no big deal in Texas, for instance.
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

you do know that there are small holes designed into the muffler to allow water to drip out....
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Really? I did not know that. But if that is the case, why do I see water dripping from tail pipes all the time? I know it is condensation, but why doesn't it drip out the small holes?

If I was on a budget, I'd just have the muffler shop slap on a glass pack straight through. I'd think that would cost about $75. Replace every few years as needed.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I had my 2.5" catback built for $300
kowboydmac

Post by kowboydmac »

What mufflers have people used on their Vibe's?

Buddy of mine put a 3" Thrush on his WRX and it was one of the best sounding exhausts I've ever heard, regardless of engine displacement or brand of exhaust... At least until I installed my SpecialtyZ 2.5" resonated x-pipe cat-back on my Z lol 8-)