Is it ok to bypass the evap purge solenoid?

Discuss any problems, warranty, repair, or replacement issues you are having with your Vibe & Matrix
Jeremy_K

Is it ok to bypass the evap purge solenoid?

Post by Jeremy_K »

I just went through the trouble to replace my 03 Vibe's alternator only to find out that wasn't the problem. When the car is at a light with the heater running the RPMs drop and the charging voltage drops down into the 12V range when it should be a constant 14+ volts. I was under the hood checking the voltage and I heard a clicking noise that sounded like a valve tapping. I traced it to the EVAP purge solenoid that's connected to the air filter box. I popped the vacuum lines off and if I cap the one closest to the engine the RPMs go up to normal and the voltage stabilizes around 14V. I don't have the money for a new solenoid right now so is it ok to run the car with the hose capped or the 2 hoses connected together without going through the solenoid?
2003 AWD Salsa Vibe
A Psycho Martyr

Re: Is it ok to bypass the evap purge solenoid? (Jeremy_K)

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Common problem. I know I had that issue right after I bought my 03, but the dealer fixed it.As for your fix? I have no clue.lol....Guess we wait for one of the guys with mechanical expertise
Jeremy_K

Post by Jeremy_K »

Well I took it for a ride into town with the hoses connected together without the purge valve. It started to bog the RPMs at a red light and drop the volts to around 12 again. It only seems to do it when my foot is on the brake and there are accessories running. For some reason that brake system draws a lot of power.
2003 AWD Salsa Vibe
jasonvibe

Re: Is it ok to bypass the evap purge solenoid?

Post by jasonvibe »

Jeremy_K wrote:I just went through the trouble to replace my 03 Vibe's alternator only to find out that wasn't the problem. When the car is at a light with the heater running the RPMs drop and the charging voltage drops down into the 12V range when it should be a constant 14+ volts. I was under the hood checking the voltage and I heard a clicking noise that sounded like a valve tapping. I traced it to the EVAP purge solenoid that's connected to the air filter box. I popped the vacuum lines off and if I cap the one closest to the engine the RPMs go up to normal and the voltage stabilizes around 14V. I don't have the money for a new solenoid right now so is it ok to run the car with the hose capped or the 2 hoses connected together without going through the solenoid?
You should not run one hose to another. They have 2 different jobs...The one closest to the engine..Is that the one on the manifold next to the throttle body? :?: This is post-MAF sensor. AKA in the manifold. If yes, just cap is and test drive. If it operates normally. The you could have a leak at the charcoal evap can or anywhere in the plumbing for that EVAP. ALSO the CLICKING is normal when the engine is driven in hot weather. The hose to the air filter box is pre-MAF sensor and before the air filter and should make no difference unless you have a clogged air filter. Sorry for late input. Let us know how things are now...
2005 AWD PlatinumAlloys, Moon & TunesPower group...just enough to be fun