PLUG 'N' PLAY Easily Upgrade Your Wimpy Horn With One From A Toyota Camry!

Technical info on the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix including do-it-yourself info
jkm311

PLUG 'N' PLAY Easily Upgrade Your Wimpy Horn With One From A Toyota Camry!

Post by jkm311 »

This topic originally came up in the "What Did You Do To Your Vibe Today?" thread: http://forums.genvibe.com/zero...23416I thought I would feature it in the DIY portion of the thread, because *anybody* with $40 or less and just enough gumption can do this.*BIG* thanks to Eugene (ehoff121) for doing the research on this! Low-tone horns, originally installed in 2004-2007 Toyota Camrys, share the identical wiring connector and relay amps as our wimpy horns we're all sick of!Eugene's impossibly easy steps:1. Unbolt horn2. Squeeze connector and wiggle out to disconnect stock horn3. Plug connector into new horn4. Re-bolt horn5. Push horn button on steering wheel and smile pretty as you hear a big improvementI had found that those with 04-07 Highlanders were upgrading with the same horn and the horn relay is 10 amps for all three vehicles. (The third vehicle being a Highlander)I found some new still-in-the-box horns for sale from this seller on eBay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors...31468 With shipping, it's under $39. Heck, you can probably get them even cheaper if you go to a junkyard, but I figured I'd post new ones, too. I look forward to installing mine the day it shows up. I'll even snap pictures, but with how truly easy this was for Eugene, I might not have to. Now, as far as the 2009+ crowd, I'm not sure if this applies. Maybe someone can shed some light on whether this is still compatible?
Steelies to the rescue.
Guitarheroal

Post by Guitarheroal »

great find! i'll probably look into this too when i free up some funds. I honked my horn at someone about a week ago for the first time and was a little embarassed afterwards. havent used it since.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

How much deeper is it? I haven't been able to find any sound file or video with a stock Camry horn (and why would I be able to in the first place?). I have avidly looked at different horns, so if it is loud and deep, I just may do this.
jkm311

Re: (KITT222)

Post by jkm311 »

Well, thanks to 06pvibe's sleuthing, we've discovered the price was just hiked up almost another $10 BEFORE shipping. And in a matter of two hours. I'm sorry the price went up, folks. And like I said in the original thread, perhaps the junkyard or Craigslist is the next step for anyone else looking for one that's so easy to swap.
Steelies to the rescue.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

oh man, i'm going to have to check some junkyards. anyone have some audio of the new horn?
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
KITT222

Re: (Zimm)

Post by KITT222 »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v...edlikSorta. The high note is claimed to be bad, plus it gives you the sound of dual FIAMM horns, which may be cheaper at my local Advanced Auto than on Ebay for the Camry horn.
jkm311

Re: (Zimm)

Post by jkm311 »

After I install, I will definitely report back, video-style. Hoping to receive it and install it before Sunday. Fingers crossed.And by then, the price will probably have increased to $100!
Steelies to the rescue.
KITT222

Re: (jkm311)

Post by KITT222 »

I would have quoted a price form my local yard, but their number on their website has been disconnected. Maybe I'll drop by after school, since they close at 5PM, and as I type it is 4:25pm Central time.
jkm311

Re: (KITT222)

Post by jkm311 »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »Hoping to receive it and install it before Sunday.Hasn't arrived yet (seller didn't confirm shipment until 3 days after I paid them), and Metro Detroit just got hit with nearly a foot of snow. Will get a video together once I receive my horn, but not expecting it today with the weather we got over night. Stay tuned...
Steelies to the rescue.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I don't know about compatibility with the 2009. When I replaced my horn it did have a unique connector that I hadn't seen before.I installed a Bad Boy air horn after some moron drove right into me while I was at a dead stop and laying on the horn.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
knightrace

Post by knightrace »

Quote, originally posted by jkm311 »Hasn't arrived yet (seller didn't confirm shipment until 3 days after I paid them), and Metro Detroit just got hit with nearly a foot of snow. Will get a video together once I receive my horn, but not expecting it today with the weather we got over night. Stay tuned...Any updates on this yet? I want to change my 05 horns. Thought about the Hella Horns but not sure how to install them. I found a link on genvibe but the link was dead.
2005 Frosty White, Moon & Tunes, Leather, AutoDisabled DRL & AHLDouble Compartment Armrest Hella Super Tone Horns
jkm311

Re: (knightrace)

Post by jkm311 »

Sorry it took awhile, everybody. I tested the new horn on a road trip this weekend. Big props to Eugene (ehoff121) once again. You did the hard part.Below is an overly simplistic gallery I took while swapping out the horn. So for you pros, scroll straight to the video. For noobs like me, it's picture time!Without further ado:Arrived in genuine Toyota parts box:Front:Back:Mount arm:Female wire connection:Infamous, high-pitched horn we hate:Completely remove hardware holding horn on frame with 12mm socket:Old horn removed, but wiring still connected on bottom:Use thumb to press against square protrusion on wiring fastener coming from the car, then wiggle wiring out of old horn. Hold on to wiring with left hand, keeping it from falling. You'll see this after taking out the old horn completely:Grab your new horn, holding it with your right hand. Insert the wiring coupler you are holding with your left hand. Once you hear that reassuring click, you should see this:Holding the horn with your left hand, now connected by wire only, grab the hardware to secure it back to the car in the same place you took the old horn out of. Grab your trusty 12mm socket once more, and tighten the new horn in place. Like this:New horn through grille:DRUM ROLL! Video with audio:Horn Of Victory
Steelies to the rescue.
RobK

Post by RobK »

Hi...very simple instructions...now I have a 2003 vibe base...and I went to the junkyard and got a horn from a 2003 toyota camry...it had two horns instead of one: one labeled L and one labeled H...I hooked up both individually to the wiring harness from the old horn and neither worked at all...can you help me with this? is the 03 vibes non applicable to this swap?
jkm311

Re: (RobK)

Post by jkm311 »

If I had to guess, I'd say you hooked both of them up, one at a time, and never attached them to the frame again, right? Simply let them hang down, then tested at the steering wheel? They need to be in contact with the metal frame. Give it another shot. If not, maybe the horns were blown out before. Did you give them a test while they were still on the junker?Oh, and the one I used was the L, or low, horn. Check my first few pics. You'll see an "L" on the mount arm. I'm done with high-pitched ones for good.
Steelies to the rescue.
RobK

Post by RobK »

damn...you're right! I DID only hook up the wires and let it hang, then tested the horn with no sound...DUH!!! I'm going to do it the right way this time now...feel so stupid...I'll let you know how it goes
RobK

Post by RobK »

It worked! I can't believe I did that...I was wondering though if there was a way I could hook up both the L and the H together...when I got the horns, they were connected with a Y wire, clips like the Vibes on each of them, but the wire that runs down to wherever that wire goes was severed without a connector. What should I do about that? I like the new horn, sounds more american, but it can be a little louder in my opinion.
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Happy it worked, and glad you didn't buy broken horns.I am not electric-savvy, but my first thought is the setup you're talking about would draw more power than just one horn. Hopefully someone can help that knows more. I am pleased enough with my single, low horn but would be interested to know if what you're proposing is possible.
Steelies to the rescue.
chadhgraves

Post by chadhgraves »

Hey John, I saw your post about upgrading the horn and just got done installing a new one on my Vibe. I ordered the 86250 Toyota low tone horn like you installed on yours. They're still selling them on ebay. I think the guy has about 6 new ones left. I paid around $47 for mine. http://www.ebay.com/itm/320700...t_922 I got to say, it was about the easiest mod a person could do. Such a huge improvement from the little bike horn that comes stock on a Vibe. I was in the garage and I forgot my dog was by the front of my car when I went to test the new horn. That was the quickest I seen him move in awhile. It's definitely dog approved. I can finally honk with pride now.
Houston

Re: (chadhgraves)

Post by Houston »

Installing this horn looks easy, so I just ordered it. Maybe people will stop pointing and snickering when they hear my horn.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
BlueCrush

Re: (Houston)

Post by BlueCrush »

Ordered mine, too! Thanks!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by Houston »Installing this horn looks easy, so I just ordered it. Maybe people will stop pointing and snickering when they hear my horn.Awesome... Looks like you'll be the first to install them in the 09-10 Vibes. Let all of us know id if all goes well. I absolutely have to get rid of the stock horn(s) real soon
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Re: (tpollauf)

Post by trb »

I got rid of the stock one on my 2010 GT and replaced it with a dual horn I found at a Pick a Part yard, out of a 94 Mustang. I paid less than $10 for it and it was well worth it. Quite a difference!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I like the whimpy....MEEP MEEP horn LOL
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
Houston

Post by Houston »

The horn (86520-AA010) arrived today and I attempted to install it in my '09. Although I didn't hook it up, the connectors look identical. I removed the original horn and after installing the new one discovered the connecting wire is about two inches too short. This is because the fittings on the horns are located slightly differently. Space is tight, so rather than messing with the wire I'll find a piece of metal at a hardware store to attach to the horn bracket to make it longer. Doing this will drop the horn enough for the wire to reach. When I get around to that, I'll let you know how it turned out.Edit: I should add that this whole thing from start to finish is simple and can be done in five to ten minutes - probably even faster for some of you.
jkm311

Post by jkm311 »

Glad this post is helping both Gens. Hopefully Houston's metal fab work will makes this easy mod a reality for all. Thanks for resurrecting it, Chad!
Steelies to the rescue.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Mine arrived yesterday and will be installing it this weekend.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Houston

Post by Houston »

I found a piece of aluminum in the basement that worked perfectly to extend the horn low enough so that the horn wire in my 2009 Vibe would connect. It seems strange to hear a "normal" sound when I activate the horn. Fact is, I already miss the sissy beep-beep sound. It was just, well, different - kind of made the Vibe "stand out", if you know what I mean. Time will tell whether or not I eventually re-install the original. For you '09 and '10 Vibe owners - and if the photos show - this is what I did to extend the horn support bracket.
hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

I wonder if a type 1 VW horn would work. Talk about a distinctive sound!! Although not nearly loud enough by today's standards. I may have to get some new, louder horns.
KITT222

Re: (hotbug1776)

Post by KITT222 »

Quote, originally posted by hotbug1776 »I wonder if a type 1 VW horn would work. Talk about a distinctive sound!! Although not nearly loud enough by today's standards. I may have to get some new, louder horns. I've got dual Wolo horns - a low and a high. I'm now never afraid to honk due to embarrassment. That, and it's super loud. I never lay on my horn, but that single tap is enough.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Quote, originally posted by Houston » It seems strange to hear a "normal" sound when I activate the horn. Awesome work Houston Now if/when you lay on the horn, you'll get noticed and maybe avoid an accident or other infraction This mod seems too easy BUT I think I'll be doing the same to mine soon
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ColonelPanic

Re:

Post by ColonelPanic »

Good find, I must have missed this thread. I really want to upgrade the horn but I'm not the cutting wires type. This looks perfect!I did buy a set of horns off a junkyard Caddy and hacked off the pigtails going to them with the thought of putting them on the Vibe or my Accent, but I never got around to it (for the latter I have to pull the entire bumper off to get to it. )
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
chadhgraves

Post by chadhgraves »

That's the reason I changed mine out. I enjoyed laughing about the sound of my meep meep horn with my buds, but I want to actually be heard when I need it.
Bastranz

Re: PLUG 'N' PLAY Easily Upgrade Your Wimpy Horn With One Fr

Post by Bastranz »

This is my type of install - just plug and play! I just ordered one! It'll be nice to have a bassier tone to the horn, and hopefully it'll sound louder as well. I shudder when I remember how a mini-van nearly ran me into the central median of the highway (guess he/she couldn't be bothered to check for any blind spots?), despite my desperate blaring of my horn!
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
Bastranz

Post by Bastranz »

Bastranz wrote:This is my type of install - just plug and play! I just ordered one! It'll be nice to have a bassier tone to the horn, and hopefully it'll sound louder as well. I shudder when I remember how a mini-van nearly ran me into the central median of the highway (guess he/she couldn't be bothered to check for any blind spots?), despite my desperate blaring of my horn!
Finally I received and installed my new horn! It was relatively easy - I just had to reach a little bit at times to put everything into place. Gone is the beep, replaced with a much fuller sounding horn! I'll kind of miss the little beep beep, but I do like the richer sound of this new one (although it may technically be higher in pitch?). Thanks for the information about this horn!
Owner of the first official "Brando-mobile", the "Silver Streak". 2003 Base Vibe, FWD.
Moved into the next generation, what's new is "Azúl" 2010 2.4 Vibe, AWD
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

Hi, I got a pair of these horns, one H and one L. Is there anyway I can install both on my 05 vibe?
Currently I have the low frequency horn installed and I am satisfy with the result. :D
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

petervivian wrote:Hi, I got a pair of these horns, one H and one L. Is there anyway I can install both on my 05 vibe?
Currently I have the low frequency horn installed and I am satisfy with the result. :D
Two things here: 1) there's only one connector, so you'd need to splice a wire in for the second horn and 2) if you have two horns, it draws twice as much current when the horn is on which might cause issues, e.g., dimming lights, a blown fuse.

Seems like lots of other folks have dual horns wired in, though. Anyone with dualies want to weigh in on this?
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
Tommychu

Post by Tommychu »

Interesting, but I opted for trumpet horns off an '80s Caddy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Supertones may be louder, Camry horn might be easy to mount, but nothing says GET OUT OF MY WAY quite like Caddy Trumpets.
ehoff121 wrote:2) if you have two horns, it draws twice as much current when the horn is on which might cause issues, e.g., dimming lights, a blown fuse.

Seems like lots of other folks have dual horns wired in, though. Anyone with dualies want to weigh in on this?
Yeah my horns probably draw a boatload of current (what with being rather loud, 30+ years old and duals). My fuse is still intact.
Conductors (and by the same token circuit protection) is usually about 60-80% overrated and sometimes more. I've never popped a horn fuse myself. I've got about 2-3 years on them now.
"I like to think GM is sort of like the USSR-In economic terms, an unprecedented catastrophe spanning multiple decades that brought misery to millions, but sometimes they made some nifty vehicles that we just love to post about on the internet."
biodieselrabbit

Post by biodieselrabbit »

Tommychu wrote:Interesting, but I opted for trumpet horns off an '80s Caddy.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B3e5BCE9zFI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Supertones may be louder, Camry horn might be easy to mount, but nothing says GET OUT OF MY WAY quite like Caddy Trumpets.
That is awesome. Know where someone can find these (e.g. somewhere online, model and year of Cadillac to look for at junkyard or craigslist)?
2003 Pontiac Vibe
MrHatchWagon

Post by MrHatchWagon »

Re: Dual horns, I've got them installed on my Vibe. Supertones from Ebay. What I did was wire them up to power from the battery (There's a spare connector for + in the fuse box, so I tapped that and ran a wire to the front of the car). I've got that hooked up to a relay that's triggered by the stock horn wire, and grounded on the same spot as the stock horn. There's a guide somewhere on the forums, I'm just too lazy to look it up :lol: . I know it was probably overkill, but at least I'm certain I'll never draw too much power with them.

In addition, if I ever decided to wire some spotlights or something to the front, the 12ga wiring will be more than enough, and I can just put my stock horn back in.
* Voted May 2012 MOTM! *
How To: Cupholder LED Mod
sbzero

Post by sbzero »

Houston wrote:I found a piece of aluminum in the basement that worked perfectly to extend the horn low enough so that the horn wire in my 2009 Vibe would connect. It seems strange to hear a "normal" sound when I activate the horn. Fact is, I already miss the sissy beep-beep sound. It was just, well, different - kind of made the Vibe "stand out", if you know what I mean. Time will tell whether or not I eventually re-install the original. For you '09 and '10 Vibe owners - and if the photos show - this is what I did to extend the horn support bracket.

I actually just upgraded mine as well on my '09 Vibe AWD.....and what you've done here with this bracket seems to be a bit excessive...all you need to do is release the plastic clip holding the wire down and it will reach up to the new horn with no problem:

No extra pieces, no extra effort. I'm actually going to upload a how-to video to YouTube pretty soon, if anyone cares to see it.

How-to video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM0OptLx_e8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tommychu

Post by Tommychu »

biodieselrabbit wrote:
Tommychu wrote:Interesting, but I opted for trumpet horns off an '80s Caddy.
That is awesome. Know where someone can find these (e.g. somewhere online, model and year of Cadillac to look for at junkyard or craigslist)?
All replacement horns online are standard GM horns (or super-generic "just a horn"s). I started a project to figure out which RPO codes indicated the trumpets for each generation a few years ago but all the RPO code databases I found fell short in that area and I wasn'tabout to spend hours in a junkyard just compiling a list of potentially-wrong codes. Any caddy from the '70s until they switched all the names from actual words to 3 letter acronyms can potentially have these horns, but your best bet is to look for Fleetwoods, Broughams and Devilles that look like they were loaded with optional junk from the factory (the longer the RPO code list, the better but if you see an '80s car with a factory digital dash that's the best indicator that the guy who ordered the car had a lot of money). Externally they look pretty much the same as the standard 'GM parts bin' horn so if your junkyard will let you bring a battery in you're laughing.
"I like to think GM is sort of like the USSR-In economic terms, an unprecedented catastrophe spanning multiple decades that brought misery to millions, but sometimes they made some nifty vehicles that we just love to post about on the internet."
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

sbzero wrote:
Houston wrote:I found a piece of aluminum in the basement that worked perfectly to extend the horn low enough so that the horn wire in my 2009 Vibe would connect. It seems strange to hear a "normal" sound when I activate the horn. Fact is, I already miss the sissy beep-beep sound. It was just, well, different - kind of made the Vibe "stand out", if you know what I mean. Time will tell whether or not I eventually re-install the original. For you '09 and '10 Vibe owners - and if the photos show - this is what I did to extend the horn support bracket.

I actually just upgraded mine as well on my '09 Vibe AWD.....and what you've done here with this bracket seems to be a bit excessive...all you need to do is release the plastic clip holding the wire down and it will reach up to the new horn with no problem:

No extra pieces, no extra effort. I'm actually going to upload a how-to video to YouTube pretty soon, if anyone cares to see it.

How-to video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cM0OptLx_e8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
So Houston and sbzero, the Toyota Camry horn is also a direct plug-and-play for the 2009-2010 Vibe?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage