VSV/Vacuum Switching Valve - Impact of not being connected?

Discuss any maintenance you've done to your Vibe & Matrix and ask how to perform maintenance on your vehicle
Thunderscreech

VSV/Vacuum Switching Valve - Impact of not being connected?

Post by Thunderscreech »

While replacing my air filter, I noticed that the VSV that attaches to the top section of my air box was no longer connected because the plastic fitting where the little hose attaches had broken off. I'll see if I can glue it back on ($50ish to replace seems high when there's no noticeable side effect) but I was wondering what the impact of not having it connected is. It's apparently part of the evaporative emissions system, I get that, and may have a role in managing pressure to the fuel tank, but the car seems to run well without it. Is this something that would be causing me problems if I had to get emissions tested? Is it something that can affect mileage? Am I slowly killing my catalytic converter somehow for not having vacuum to this system for some reason?Inquiring minds want to know!
2003 Bare Bones
Thunderscreech

Re: VSV/Vacuum Switching Valve - Impact of not being connected? (Thunderscreech)

Post by Thunderscreech »

I seem to be having bad luck w/ my technical inquiries here.
2003 Bare Bones
star_deceiver

Re: VSV/Vacuum Switching Valve - Impact of not being connected? (Thunderscreech)

Post by star_deceiver »

Did you reattach it? Were there any effect on fuel economy or driving/fueling differences?Pictures help as I'm not too sure exactly where in the system or what's connected to it....
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Thunderscreech

Post by Thunderscreech »

Haven't re-attached it, need to figure out how. The plastic piece at the VCV is broken, so I'll need to glue or bond them in some other way. That's why I was hoping to find out if anyone knew how important it was. Thanks!
2003 Bare Bones
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

You are getting unfiltered air into the system which can be very bad. It needs to be addressed soon. Dependending on how much dust and debris is in the air while running will determine what damage that may happen.Plug the hole on the air box and cover the hole on the VSV with a piece of cloth as a make shift filter. Make sure the make shift filter doesn't get drawn into the VSV.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
keithvibe

Post by keithvibe »

photo??
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
xbeaus

Post by xbeaus »

isn't that part of the EGR purge valve? The solenoid will open and close (most noticeable during low idle) and purge vapors from your fuel lines to burn off the extra. Fix it! Any codes showing up? Could this not lead to a lean condition as well?