turbo tuning?

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
keiken

turbo tuning?

Post by keiken »

Hey everyone, new to this site, i spent a few days and decided to put a turbo on my girfriends 05 vibe base model 5 speed. I recently visited a tuner that wants me to spend about 2500 on tuning, this includes changing to a return type fuel system and a new standalone computer as well as the tuning... my question is to anyone else running a turbo vibe, what are u using for tuning, i seen the odd person say they are using a laptop? i have a wideband in the car right now as well as only running about 5 psi of boost while the stock fuel system isnt tuned, we have about 3000km on it so its time to tune it. The car isnt quite as powerful as my twin turbo'd stang but at least this ones afordable to drive! lol, any help would be great guys, thanks
keithvibe

Re: turbo tuning? (keiken)

Post by keithvibe »

WelcomeI'm not turboed but I will be in two weeks.I will be using a emanage ultimate.AEM standalone systems are very pricey 1k to 1500 and up.Tuning prices differ from place to place from application to application. 500- 1000kThere are issues that I see with your post. Why the return on the fuel? Your not going to be boosting that much. What are you currently running for tuning and for fuel? have you upgraded your injectors? what's your wideband currently reading? you running rich?Is it an auto or manual? Have you upgraded the clutch?I would suggest you look at newcelica.org there are a lot of guys turboed thereSame power train, if you weren't aware.Also, you can hit up a good friend of mine who can tune your car via emails if you wish at backyardturbo.com Tell Nick, Keith sent you.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
keiken

Re: turbo tuning? (keithvibe)

Post by keiken »

the tuner told me that the type of fuel system on the car wouldnt be enough for even boosting 8 psi, i did say its a 5 speed, clutch has been upgraded, nothing has been tuned yet i am currently running 5 psi and the wideband is reading a lil towards lean but nothing thats gonna hurt it, ive tuned multiple vehicle in the past, just not imports..i was looking into the e-manage, and im a little confused about how to tune over e-mail..i take it theres a way to connect your laptop to your cars computer? whats needed for that?
keithvibe

Re: turbo tuning? (keiken)

Post by keithvibe »

I plan on upgrading my 1zz injectors to the 2zz injectors to alow for more fuel. The stock pump should handle this ok.I'm guessing your still running stock 1zz injectors. Upgrade those to the 2zz and you should be ok with your low boost.As for the emanage. It alows you to log your driving, basicly you connect your laptop to the emanage and run the log program, it keeps a record of your trip, with just idle, midrange all the way up to WOT. Then you take the log and email that to the tuner who has the emanage software, he opens it up, looks at your logs and adjusts the chart to get the car running correctly. Sends that back to you and you load it in to the emanage.you connect your computer to the emanage, emanage is a piggyback to the toyota computer. Toyota doesn't alow you to reflash the existing computer. Your options are piggyback and standalone which replaces your whole computer, Overkill for your situation IMO.To connect the emanage to your laptop it's a usb cable.There are two ways to connect the emanage to your toyota's computer. 1, hardwire, you need to solder the wires in to the ecu, cheaper if you are comfortable with a soldering iron and wiring in general.2, boomslang harness, more expensive, this is a plug and play it comes wired for your application.My concern at this point is how long you have been running without a tune. There have been horror stories about this very situation.
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.