How To Put A Lip Under The Front Bumper For Only $15

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
A Psycho Martyr

How To Put A Lip Under The Front Bumper For Only $15

Post by A Psycho Martyr »

Ok I saw this idea on some other cars but never thought of doing it until I saw it on the Midnightunerz Vibe. I google'd it and found out it was extremely cheap and easy. Here's what you need... Weather strip for a garage door. I got the 15ft pack at Lowe's. You can get plastic or foam, but the foam is best, as it bends should you scrub your bumper.3m double sided tape. Try to find black so it matches your strip and won't show as bad.You can cut this stuff with scissors easily, so no tool is required. And you'll need some screws with washers on them to help hold it on. Something like this..Your first step is to apply your 3m tape on the back of the strip. Space it out unless you bought two packs. It won't cover the whole thing.When you get tape on the back of it, start putting it in place across the bottom of your bumper. Peel the backing off the tape as you go. The tape will hold, but for it to really last, you need to put some screws in it. I put six in mine evenly spaced.BEFORE!!!AFTER!!!Hope I covered everything. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
victorhasheart

Re: How To Put A Lip Under The Front Bumper For Only $15 (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by victorhasheart »

That's beautiful! How did you screw them on? Also, you think tthe same can be done for the sides and the rear?
03' VibeGT. Rear Tinted Windows, Low-Pro Amplified Subwoofer (passenger seat), Drop in K&N Filter, Yellow Fog Light Bulbs, +MORE COMING SOON
A Psycho Martyr

Re: How To Put A Lip Under The Front Bumper For Only $15 (victorhasheart)

little more difficult on the rear as there is no curvature to the bottom of the rear bumper. The front turns back in and the back just goes down and ends. The sides are doable, but may need some kind of "L" brace or something to keep the shape uniform through the whole side. Not needed in the front because the curve pulls it in. And when you look unser you'll see where to screw it in. Just barely have enough room to do it there
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

Ah! The ole' Home Depot GV lipThe Mazda community has been doing this for a number of years now.It would look a lot better if you used some tire shine on it. That'll make it look blacker as well as shinier.
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (06pvibe)

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »It would look a lot better if you used some tire shine on it. That'll make it look blacker as well as shinier.Thanks for the heads up!
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

I'm really impressed at how well that turned out. Looks great! I've been wanting a front lip too.Also, I need to get one on my actual garage door, because I have some gaps that I think are letting mice in.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
BlueCrush

Re: (06pvibe)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by 06pvibe »Ah! The ole' Home Depot GV lipThe Mazda community has been doing this for a number of years now.Yup. I remember seeing a thread about this here on Genvibe a couple years ago. Someone else on here did it as well. Turned out decent.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (Kincaid)

Quote, originally posted by Kincaid »Also, I need to get one on my actual garage door, because I have some gaps that I think are letting mice in. Glad this could serve as a reminder! Mine only cost like 9 bucks
vibolista

Re: (A Psycho Martyr)

Post by vibolista »

Excellent! Looks really good. How many screws did you use? Wouldn't it be better to use bolts instead of screws? Any reason you didn't do a continuous strip of double sided tape on it, instead of sections?
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
A Psycho Martyr

Re: (vibolista)

Quote, originally posted by vibolista »Excellent! Looks really good. How many screws did you use? Wouldn't it be better to use bolts instead of screws? Any reason you didn't do a continuous strip of double sided tape on it, instead of sections? Thanks, and good questions I used six screws evenly spaced. It might be better to use bolts, but I didn't have any, so screws with wide washers to give them some suface area is what I used. And I only bought one roll of 3m tape and it wasn't long enough, so I spread it out instead of going back to town.
Houston

Post by Houston »

Looks fine, but I wonder if the material is strong enough to hold its shape when on the expressway.
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
A Psycho Martyr

Re: How To Put A Lip Under The Front Bumper For Only $15 (Houston)

Ill have to perform a field test. When my brother is free i'll have him ride beside my doin 70-80 and we'll see how it looks
star_deceiver

Post by star_deceiver »

What will happen to the tape when it gets really hot out? Hope it doesn't sag...
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
houseofbugs

Post by houseofbugs »

That actually looks really cool. I am going to do this once I get my stereo all fixed. It should look even better on mine as I have the grey plastic cladding around on mine.
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

There's always Frost White paint. Hint...
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
jscherf92

Post by jscherf92 »

Im gonna try this over spring break next week, for such a low cost mod its certainly worth a shot. Hopefully it will give me a nice sideskirt look because buying the graphite side skirts AND my H.techs might start scraping over bumps
JSCHERF92's 2005 Abyss Tein H.Tech SpringsBadge-less exterior w/tinted tails and 20% windowsSony/Alpine aftermarket sound systemRed LED interior/headlight/grill/underbody lights
Water boy

Post by Water boy »

Quote, originally posted by A Psycho Martyr »Ill have to perform a field test. When my brother is free i'll have him ride beside me doin 70-80 and we'll see how it looks Is ya brother gonna hang out da winda to take cellphone pics or will he be in anuda car?
47,891 Added new horns
47,900 Yokohama Avid 205/55-16 $492.40 drive out w/TPMS rebuild kits
69,036 Added sound deadening
70,395 Battery
106,019 Yokohama YK580 205/55-16 $589.19 drive out
DjGodspeed89

Post by DjGodspeed89 »

Mine turned out great. Although it shows up a little better on your white. Check it out. Really the best pic I have of it now. But it really is an awesome mod considering they dont make a lip that I know of. It stays in place even at high way speeds. Thanks for the idea!!
I pity the FOOL who ain't Vibin'!
A Psycho Martyr

Re: How To Put A Lip Under The Front Bumper For Only $15 (DjGodspeed89)

looks greatAnd glad this thread could help you out,But the credit for the idea goes out to ARCSvibe 8)I just did the write-up
DjGodspeed89

Post by DjGodspeed89 »

Just a couple more pics to add to Martyr's pics to say everyone should do this. If you're into that type of thing...
I pity the FOOL who ain't Vibin'!
A Psycho Martyr

Bump for new members....and I can't friggin BELEIVE how dark my h/l's and fogs were tintedcan't beleive you guys let me DO that.lol
Persephone

Post by Persephone »

Definitely doing this.
My lovely Gambit.
06pvibe

Post by 06pvibe »

He is correct!!I put one on my lowered (-1.25") Mazda3 HB a few years ago and have scrapped it several times. But you wouldn't even know it to look at it.What was that old Timex commercial: Takes a licking and keeps on ticking....
FJ's Garage Thread "There is no tool you can buy that will replace experience." - Josh Mills, C.K.DeLuxe January 2011 GenVibe MOTM
alpa109

Re: How To Put A Lip Under The Front Bumper For Only $15

Post by alpa109 »

HEy i have a pontiac vibe and im trying to do something with the grill.....where did u get that material and what is it called that u put over ur original grill
A Psycho Martyr

A Psycho Martyr wrote:Mr. Grille was who I bought mine from on eBAY.

I guess they just have their own site now

HERE'S a link to the page
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

lol, why is this a popular mod for EVERY car now? seems soooo ghetto to me
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Have you considered using plastic clips instead of metal screws? I mean, I don't know if the screws might damage that part of the front bumper or not, but all the places I noticed where metal screws were used on plastic trim places (when I was doing the wheel-well liner) had lots of layering around the screw (to prevent tearing, I'm guessing).
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
alpa109

Post by alpa109 »

thanks man but how do i find out if they have them for 2009....my years sucks i looked everywhere for stuff to do that car and i cant find anything for that year
FootScoot

Post by FootScoot »

That's a great idea. I may go a different route, and put carbon fiber splitters on mine. They just mount underneath the front bumper with screws. 8-)
Old slot racer. 2009 Vibe GT owner
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

FootScoot wrote:That's a great idea. I may go a different route, and put carbon fiber splitters on mine. They just mount underneath the front bumper with screws. 8-)
That would be neat. Then it could evolve into a full bellypan.

alpa109 wrote:thanks man but how do i find out if they have them for 2009....my years sucks i looked everywhere for stuff to do that car and i cant find anything for that year
It's just garage door seal, you could apply it to any car.