Buying a vehicle on Ebay

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
mkowdley
Site Admin

Buying a vehicle on Ebay

Post by mkowdley »

A cautionary tale that was on digg today, that you may enjoy... or just be cautious http://www.autoblog.com/2010/0...nt-to/source material: http://www.gencoupe.com/genera....html
star_deceiver

Re: Buying a vehicle on Ebay (mkowdley)

Post by star_deceiver »

Well, it's been said before..... You've never met a real lier until you've been used car shopping!!!
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
Entelodont

Post by Entelodont »

There was a notorious car dealer who told me the old saw; "If I could find a good used car, I'd keep it for myself".
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

hahaha! I thought once about driving down to that dealer to see if they were any good since Hyundai dealers are few and far between. I guess this answers my question. What hasn't been said much is what ebay thinks of this situation... Anyway, nice Genny - hope the kid gets it.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
DeClerq

Re: Buying a vehicle on Ebay (ColonelPanic)

Post by DeClerq »

This also happened a few years back at a Mitsu dealer in AZ. Guy won an auction for an Evo and the dealer claimed he sold it to someone else because he offered a higher price than the winning bid. Here's the original forum discussion: http://forums.nasioc.com/forum...42510 3500+ posts. I don't recall how it all ended up.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring'04 Vibe - M&T, Power Package, Protection Package
lovemyraffe

Re: Buying a vehicle on Ebay (DeClerq)

Post by lovemyraffe »

eBay doesn't take these things lightly. It costs $$$ for a seller to back out on a deal and if it is a continuous occurrence, eBay can revoke their selling account. eBay protects everybody and doesn't put up with crap like this.
March 2011 MOTMFebruary 2010 MOTM My GenVibe garage
MSAGRO

Re: Buying a vehicle on Ebay (DeClerq)

Post by MSAGRO »

Quote, originally posted by DeClerq »This also happened a few years back at a Mitsu dealer in AZ. Guy won an auction for an Evo and the dealer claimed he sold it to someone else because he offered a higher price than the winning bid. Here's the original forum discussion: http://forums.nasioc.com/forum...42510 3500+ posts. I don't recall how it all ended up.Happened recently in Texas also:http://blog.oregonlive.com/com....html
jammies

Re: Buying a vehicle on Ebay (lovemyraffe)

Post by jammies »

Quote, originally posted by lovemyraffe »eBay doesn't take these things lightly. It costs $$$ for a seller to back out on a deal and if it is a continuous occurrence, eBay can revoke their selling account. eBay protects everybody and doesn't put up with crap like this. Well, that is not exactly true....and here is an example...A few years back I sold Toyotas. When the second generation Prius became available, we were taking deposits on incoming units. By placing a deposit on an incoming unit you added your name to a list. Each week I would check Dealer Daily for new allocated units. I would call the first person on the list and offer the car to them. If they passed, I would call the second person, and so on until the vehicle had a buyer.After a while, people became choosy and as a result, we had a black Prius hit the lot and sat for a month. I decided to put it on ebay. That was a Wednesday. By Saturday morning we had two bidders. Later that day we received a phone call from Hawaii of all places ( I was in PA ). The person wanted to buy the car outright -- they had seen it on ebay. The GSM sold the car and asked me to close the auction. I did as he requested. We never received any feedback from either bidder, or from ebay itself. We were simply billed the initial posting fee......I would like to report this was an isolated incident, but we did it all the time. Mostly with pre-owned auction purchased cars
bodhi_tree777

Re: Buying a vehicle on Ebay (jammies)

Post by bodhi_tree777 »

Quote, originally posted by jammies »Well, that is not exactly true....and here is an example...A few years back I sold Toyotas. When the second generation Prius became available, we were taking deposits on incoming units. By placing a deposit on an incoming unit you added your name to a list. Each week I would check Dealer Daily for new allocated units. I would call the first person on the list and offer the car to them. If they passed, I would call the second person, and so on until the vehicle had a buyer.After a while, people became choosy and as a result, we had a black Prius hit the lot and sat for a month. I decided to put it on ebay. That was a Wednesday. By Saturday morning we had two bidders. Later that day we received a phone call from Hawaii of all places ( I was in PA ). The person wanted to buy the car outright -- they had seen it on ebay. The GSM sold the car and asked me to close the auction. I did as he requested. We never received any feedback from either bidder, or from ebay itself. We were simply billed the initial posting fee......I would like to report this was an isolated incident, but we did it all the time. Mostly with pre-owned auction purchased carsSlightly different, though, as you (the seller) simply chose to end the auction early which is allowed. A bidder can't leave feedback, positive or negative, if the auction is ended early. The incident above was where the seller actually allowed the auction to win, at which time they enter into a binding contract through eBay.
james / bodhi tree studio / tattoos & illustration / http://www.bodhitreestudio.comebay store : vintage clothing & toys---03 Satellite Vibe GT // 04 Neptune base // 1986 VW Golf // 1990 VW Golf GL---