2009 Roof Rack Removal

Body kits, spoilers, lights, and anything on the exterior of the vehicle
TheMaskedMan

2009 Roof Rack Removal

Post by TheMaskedMan »

Has anybody with an 09 removed their roof rack? What is involved? Are there plugs you can get to fill in the holes?
joatmon

Re: 2009 Roof Rack Removal (TheMaskedMan)

Post by joatmon »

I don't remember seeing anybody post about doing that. So ...If you do it, please post up pictures and a procedure.
vibedrivermatt

Post by vibedrivermatt »

My 09 has plastic pieces that cover the holes where the roof rack goes. You should be able to get the pieces from GM. They shouldn't cost too much, or at least I hope they wouldn't .
peter826

Post by peter826 »

I'd like to remove my rack as well. I actually had GM install it when I bought the car, because Yakima was saying the factory rack had to be on the car to attach my kayak rack. Now Yakima has changed their fit and you must puchase towers and clips....and the factory rack will get in the way.The rack covers the bolt holes that were apparent prior to it being installed, but I see no way to access those. I'm guessing you need to pry off the trim somewhere on the rack to gain access to those mounting points. Does anyone have a diagram that shows how to install or remove?
peter826

Re: 2009 Roof Rack Removal (peter826)

Post by peter826 »

I took the rack off my 2009 a few days ago...The end caps of the rack come off quite easily. Push a flat bladed screwdriver under the front edge and work backwards. There's a small clip in there that will disengage. You can then wiggle the cap and the entire piece will come off. This exposes the bolts.Remove two bolts on each side (a total of 8 bolts to hold both rails on) and the rails are off.Now, I had saved back the small plastic covers for the attachment points when I had the rack installed. Unfortunatley, there was nothing to clip these to! Turns out there is another part, which was taken out and discarded when my rack was installed. That is part# 19184014, a small metal clip that bolts into the opening, and then the covers snap onto it. These were $7/each from the dealer. If you have the rack installed by them, make sure they save these and the covers for you, should you ever want to remove the rack.
lencurrie

Post by lencurrie »

MaskedMan.. also from ch'town here.. you looking to sell your roof rack? Why are you getting rid of it?
star_deceiver

Re: (lencurrie)

Post by star_deceiver »

Yes, why?? The dealer had none when I bought my Vibe and wanted $600 (ouch) just to order them in (Go find yourself a bridge and take a long leap I said...), the salesman and I both agreed that that was too much! Toyota wanted $300 for their version of Matrix roof racks (still too much).
2019 Ram 3500 4x4 CCSB srw 8HP75
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 RCLB Dually w/stick (traded in - 05/10/19)
2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 Cheyenne 4x4 (Traded in - 03/30/16)
2009 Vibe. (Traded in - 12/12/12)
triscuit

Post by triscuit »

I'm looking to get a roof rack for my 09 Vibe... let me know if you want to sell it!
chrishun

Post by chrishun »

Sorry that I can't answer your question, but I may be interested in buying your rack once you remove it. My Vibe did not come with factory racks and Pontiac does not offer them as an accessory.