Turbo a 1zze 2008 vibe

Supercharger, turbo, nitrous, and anything that has to do with forced induction
yarby

Turbo a 1zze 2008 vibe

Post by yarby »

I have been looking around and trying to get some help about putting a turbo on my vibe. I understand that the only mod is an ecu reflash to upgrade. Is this true. I had to buy an automatic bc i lost my right leg to bone cancer. I want to get some gains on hp and torque but not destroy the motor. I found a kit on ebay and it looks like it comes with everything i need but the years dont go up to the 08. the main difference i have noticed is the drive by wire and mine is not. will this have any effect. Is it ok to turbo an automatic. Maybe a stupid question but im trying to get some real answers from people who have vibes and have done this mod. Any help and feedback will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

first off, you bought the wrong car if you want to have a turbo.But if you insist, anything can be done with enough money. it's not cheap and you will run the risk of things going wrong and your car blowing up. Best thing you can do is talk to a performance shop. I believe Monkeywrench in MI has done several Vibe/Trix set ups. That's who I would talk to first. I can't stress to you enough how important it is to do it right or find another car to drive while yours is down.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

yup what she said. talk to monkey wrench racing. They know what they are doing when turboing 1/2zz's and know how far the auto trans can be pushed. I also would not suggest buying any turbo kit off ebay..you most likely will get a pos knock off kit that will fail. theres a couple kits for the 1zz but im blanking on them....but monkey wrench will have one or make one.
yarby

Re: (northvibe)

Post by yarby »

I guess i will Just keep this car stock then and go get me a real car. Something in the V8 side with a real attitude. Thanks again for the help From both i appreciate it. I just wanted to see if i could add some power to my ride. This car is really cool. I really wanted a subaru wrx sti but i was imited to cash flow and area to keep my wheelchair. Thanks for keeping from blowing up my car. Thats the last thing i need.
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

You can FI the car, like if you found the GM or TRD super charger you could do that. They made it for automatics but you need to get the adapter plate so it will fit the 05-08 models. If you go turbo you could keep it really low boost and a small turbo. But if you consider this just call MWR and see what they think of it. They I think still have done the biggest HP celica automatic ever.
AKLGT

Re: (yarby)

Post by AKLGT »

Quote, originally posted by yarby »I guess i will Just keep this car stock then and go get me a real car. Something in the V8 side with a real attitude. Thanks again for the help From both i appreciate it. I just wanted to see if i could add some power to my ride. This car is really cool. I really wanted a subaru wrx sti but i was imited to cash flow and area to keep my wheelchair. Thanks for keeping from blowing up my car. Thats the last thing i need. Well I have 2 WRX STIs, one 07 and one 08 hatch (mine). you wouldn't have had to do anything to the hatch to have it blow up. As for a small hatch with power, you should consider the new 09 Impreza GT or 08 WRX (same thing). I'd also recommend looking at the Legacy GT wagons. Awesome cargo capability, super safe, and easily modded. Had I gone this route back in 05 when I bought my LGT sedan, I'd most likely still be driving it since having no folding rear seat for cargo was one of the biggest reasons I got rid of the car and went with the STI hatch. You can find them fairly inexpensive too (05-07 models) especially if you are looking for an auto. They aren't cheap to mod (the autos) as they will require some work done to the transmission to handle the power, but boy are they fun when you do! :D I really miss my LGT auto, especially every day I'm driving around in traffic.The Vibe is a good all around car, great fuel economy, awesome cargo capability, and pretty incognito to the cops. Sure, you're probably not going to win many races with the stock set up, but you would be surprised what a difference (subtle) just adding a Cold Air intake, exhaust and a tune (Unichip or otherwise) will do to the car. We had our base 04 Vibe (MT) and did this and it was night and day difference from having it stock to the I/E/ECU route. Could have done some ported headers or race headers, a few more things and would have been even better. Just a thought.
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS
northvibe

Post by northvibe »

I mean I agree, FI'ing the vibe is a big investment with not getting crazy amounts of power. And I think doing bolt ons should be done first then see if you like the power added by those which are only in the hundreds of dollars instead of thousands and they wont make your car unreliable. If you want a fast hatch, mazdaspeed 3 all the way!
Sublimewind

Re: Turbo a 1zze 2008 vibe (yarby)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by yarby »I have been looking around and trying to get some help about putting a turbo on my vibe. I understand that the only mod is an ecu reflash to upgrade. Is this true. I had to buy an automatic bc i lost my right leg to bone cancer. I want to get some gains on hp and torque but not destroy the motor. I found a kit on ebay and it looks like it comes with everything i need but the years dont go up to the 08. the main difference i have noticed is the drive by wire and mine is not. will this have any effect. Is it ok to turbo an automatic. Maybe a stupid question but im trying to get some real answers from people who have vibes and have done this mod. Any help and feedback will be appreciated. Thanks in advance.That sucks about the leg bro... I have a good friend that went through the same thing, didn't lose his leg, but had to have the top half of his Femur, about 5" up the bone, replaced with a cadaver donation.. He got really lucky... I feel for ya my man... It's nice to see you aren't letting it get you down... !!! you should look at a new VW GTi or EVO... Both can now be had with a SWEET DSG (true paddle shift) gearbox.. like an auto, but without the torque converter slushing things up.. I'd suggest a Subie normally, but the auto tranny is a pig unless it's modded.. which can be done, it's just a matter of how far you want/can go.. You could do any number of different subies, WRX or Leggy wagon.. or a Forrester (shares platform with the WRX) which is SUPER low profile.. lol..
AKLGT

Post by AKLGT »

^^ well there are lots of complaints about the X's DSG gear box not holding power and failing. I was originally interested in that myself until I heard the complaints. Personally, I miss my auto Legacy GT every day. It was an awesome car. Granted, I had to modify the valve body so the transmission would handle the low end torque, but man, what a fun car! Total sleeper! Well, up until I bling'd it out. LOL.You've got quite a few choices these days. oh and if you can afford to spend the money on an Evo or new fancy GTi, you should consider the new BMW's as well. Don't get me wrong, I do like my STI hatch, but for the money that I've put into it with an engine rebuild, I should have bought the Beamer I wanted and probably wouldn't have had the issues I've had. I'm a big Subie fan, but I won't be buying another new 08+ turbo'd one ever again. Not after getting the screw on my 08. Pretty sad when Car and Driver's staff won't even drive the car for long trips for fear it will blow up on them! to SOA and making crappy ringlands in these new cars!
AKLGT1998 Subaru 2.5RS