installing kenwood nav

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
psulightning

installing kenwood nav

Post by psulightning »

tonight will be my first mod on my vibe. I am installing a kenwood dnx6140 with ipod connection cable. I am doing it myself since best buy said it would be $200 for an install. i'll post pictures when i'm done.
2006 Vibe Base
Black/Grey
2WD Automatic
Convenience Package
Kenwood DNX6140
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Welcome to GV..!!Good luck, I have a install tutorial if you need... it's round here somewhere.. Can't wait for the pics..
BlueCrush

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »Welcome to GV..!!Good luck, I have a install tutorial if you need... it's round here somewhere.. Can't wait for the pics.. ^ Sublimewind's and keithvibe's install pics were of tremendous help for my installation.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Oh yeah, Keith has one too.... I always forget that.. his deals with the M&T systems correct? Mine is just for the basic non-amped system..
psulightning

Post by psulightning »

sublimewind,your tutorial really helped me out. i have it installed (mostly, still need to figure out how i'm connecting the gps) and functional. had some wiring issues initially but was able to figure it out.
2006 Vibe Base
Black/Grey
2WD Automatic
Convenience Package
Kenwood DNX6140
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Cool, glad to be of service.. If there is anything else I can help with, run it past me, I'll do my best..
psulightning

Post by psulightning »

Here we go with pics.Here's the nav unitwiring connectionsbluetooth mic attached to steering columnipod/usb connector pulled down through bottom consolegps antenna (had to drill hole in the top of the dash to put it thru ( )mounted!!!now with the coverprettynice thing about this unit is you can match to color scheme (red looks awesome)handsfree modenavigation ready
2006 Vibe Base
Black/Grey
2WD Automatic
Convenience Package
Kenwood DNX6140
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

NICE... congratz... !!! Your poor dash though... I wish you would have said something about, doing the antenna, I would have had you run it over to the passenger side, and up to the top of the dash over there... It would have picked up fine.. Anyhow, what's done, right... Pop into a radioshack and ask them if they have any plastic "snap bushings/grommets"they look like this.. You can split them with wire cutters, slide the wire into them, then snap them into the hole... It would really clean things up... All in all, I'd say good show brotha..
lencurrie

Post by lencurrie »

Does anyone know if this would be an issue with an '09 vibe.. I know there is a different unit that's in it.. just thinking the harness may not fit properly.. This is one of my 'todo's
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

It's basically the same, some differences, someone here already has an aftermarket HU in an 09'.. i'm not 100% on the harness differences though..
psulightning

Post by psulightning »

yeah i didnt see any other solution besides drilling where the windshield vent is. I intend on putting something there. The reason it is so big was because the connector to the HU was not just wiring.
2006 Vibe Base
Black/Grey
2WD Automatic
Convenience Package
Kenwood DNX6140
psulightning

Re: (lencurrie)

Post by psulightning »

I ordered the mount, antenna, and wiring connector from crutchfield. I think mine said it was for 2003 and on.edit:http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1...=3121that was the mount I found on crutchfield its only 13 bucks
2006 Vibe Base
Black/Grey
2WD Automatic
Convenience Package
Kenwood DNX6140
Sublimewind

Re: (psulightning)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by psulightning »yeah i didnt see any other solution besides drilling where the windshield vent is. I intend on putting something there. The reason it is so big was because the connector to the HU was not just wiring.Oh, I know exactly what happened, no worries.. I would have just exhausted every possibility before I drilled the center of the dash is all.. It could have sat in the corner of the dash just as easily.. Like i said though, what's done... I was just offering a way to clean it up a bit... maybe a small flower pot or something.. lol...
bull77

Post by bull77 »

oooh -- i like the deck what happened on your dash -- was the dremel to strong?

Attached files
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

That's "walk-about" from when trying to drill without a center punch, a pilot hole or the drill wasn't straight perpendicular to the dash.. PSU, you can try rubbing those scratches out with the handle of a screwdriver... i've seen it work pretty well on hard plastic trim, but I don't know matte finish dash top...
markt484

Post by markt484 »

I like the fact that it uses the garmin navi.
06 VibePioneer AVIC-F90BT6.5 Infinity Reference SpeakersInfinity Reference 475A 4-Channel Amp8' Stock replacement Kicker SubK&n Ram Intake
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

hay man, that's really not needed here, brotha.. I think the point was made without being an asshat.. You won't get along, very long with a tude like that... I assure you..
vipervibe

Post by vipervibe »

You can also cut down the sticker tape that is mounted to the antenna on your dash so it isnt bigger than the antenna.
Banjovibe

Post by Banjovibe »

I have a 2009 vibe and had this DNX6140 system installed. I love it....for $1150 (including Best Buy installation I now have it all: DVD, Garmin Nav, Blutooth, CD, XM, IPD...even can insert to usb port. By the way, when they installed, they had to run a new power wire from the fuse box to give the System enough power. The current wire was not able to do that. This is true for 09 on.
We live our lives by the choices we make. I chose Vibe
MSAGRO

Post by MSAGRO »

When I installed my Nav unit in my Highlander, I placed the antenna on firewall just in front of the glove box. I never had reception issues.Im getting the Pioneer Avic Z3 this weekend and gonna place it near the same place on the Vibe.
markt484

Post by markt484 »

What ever happened to putting the antenna on top of your car?
06 VibePioneer AVIC-F90BT6.5 Infinity Reference SpeakersInfinity Reference 475A 4-Channel Amp8' Stock replacement Kicker SubK&n Ram Intake
Sublimewind

Re: (Banjovibe)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Banjovibe »I have a 2009 vibe and had this DNX6140 system installed. I love it....for $1150 (including Best Buy installation I now have it all: DVD, Garmin Nav, Blutooth, CD, XM, IPD...even can insert to usb port. By the way, when they installed, they had to run a new power wire from the fuse box to give the System enough power. The current wire was not able to do that. This is true for 09 on. I find this hard to believe, and I would like to see what they did to the fuse box to install this extra power line... if they pulled a fuse, bent the wire over a fuse leg and mashed it back into the box, I'd be FUMING.. Otherwise, good to know...
Banjovibe

Post by Banjovibe »

They didn't do anything special. I was right there and watched it. He just opened the fuse box door, figured out which fuse housing to attach it to..can't remember and that was that....really easy. but I was there when he first installed the system and though it had some power, there was not enough to run the system. After installing that new wire it was fine.
We live our lives by the choices we make. I chose Vibe