Suggestions for adding Bluetooth to an 09

Stereo, security systems, vehicle electronics, and electrical-related discussions
PMC

Suggestions for adding Bluetooth to an 09

Post by PMC »

I'm trying to add bluetooth to my Vibe and looking for suggestions. I'd like to have hands free calling and music streaming from my phone to the stereo.I haven't found ANY installation that lets you integrate bluetooth into Onstar calling and use the built in microphone and head unit features (would be awesome to do) so I'm looking at external options.The two I'm looking at are the Kensington LiquidAux Bluetooth kit which plugs into the cigarette lighter and runs into the aux port:http://www.amazon.ca/Kensingto...UIX2K Or the Motorola t505 that hangs on my visor and sends music etc to the stereo via FMhttp://www.amazon.ca/22008-T50...r=1-1 The LiquidAUX looks like it would be better for music (aux in is going to be better quality than FM) but the microphone for that one is down low so the quality will be bad, compared to the much better placement of the t505 up on the visor.Anyone use either of these? I'm open to other suggestions people may have.
Kamikaze

Re: Suggestions for adding Bluetooth to an 09 (PMC)

Post by Kamikaze »

Not sure you want to replace your Stereo, but I went with an Eclipse HU that has built in Bluetooth and USB. It's the Eclipse CD3200 if you want to look it up to see all it's features. I've been happy with it. When I get in my car and start it up it auto connects to my phone, the clarity is pretty good, people haven't complained too much on the receiving end with the mic picking up too much road noise. Sometimes it echo's a little bit for them, but usually I just have to turn the volume down a little bit.I could understand why you'd want to keep the factory look and just add a bluetooth option like you suggested, from what I can tell the Motorola t505 seems to be pretty nice, sounds like it has a rechargable pack for it, so you wouldn't be eating up batteries... only complaint was in the review: I only wish it had a less obtrusive way to answer a call and charge the unit.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

I'd go with a new HU myself, but that is the audio guy in me talking... I mean with something like the Pioneer 90 something BT double DIN HU's, you really can go wrong... You can connect just about anything you could ever want, add navi, all sorts of things... and it will ALL sound better.. Integrating into on-star is a different problem, I can't stand on-star, talk about big brother watching you... Being a proprietary system, they make it difficult and expensive to keep it's function when you make the change, but also give you crap for quality audio... so you want to make the change... Well, I do... you may not...
Kamikaze

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by Kamikaze »

Quote, originally posted by Sublimewind »I mean with something like the Pioneer 90 something BT double DIN HU's, you really can go wrong... You mean Can't right?Everytime someone mentions Double DIN you throw up the "Steal Me! Steal Me! pic now you're suggesting a double DIN? LOLI get what you're saying, just giving you crap.
August 2009 VOTM Click HERE for my Garage
PMC

Post by PMC »

I certainly see the appeal to a new head unit that will do it all. I was hoping to avoid the hassle, I'm looking for something simple (for now).
Sublimewind

Re: (PMC)

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by PMC »I certainly see the appeal to a new head unit that will do it all. I was hoping to avoid the hassle, I'm looking for something simple (for now).Perfectly understandable, BUT, what you may not see is that going with an aftermarket HU gives you SOOO many more options, now and down the road.. I mean it's not the only option and like Kami said, I usually denounce the double DIN HU's because of the steal me factor... But I guess sooooo many cars these days have screens in them now, it's rather commonplace.. Anything you use like what you started with will be better sounding through an AUX port.. FM transmitters are only as good as the transmission... which sucks.. lol..
lencurrie

Post by lencurrie »

Hey Guys,Did you end up making a choice here and how is it working out? I'm also interested in adding bluetooth to my vibe :-)
kowell

Post by kowell »

If you don,t want to change the radio there are a few add-on systems à la OnStarhttp://www.canadiantire.ca/AST...r.jsp
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
BadBrew

Post by BadBrew »

My GPS, Garmin Nuvi 360, does everything, bluetooth pairing with cell phone, MP3 player (with 8gb SDcard), usual GPS stuff (duh...), and electronic books. Hooked up with an GM12 AUX-v2 because I don't have an AUX port on my '05. Only thing is, there some feedback over the line because of my speakers going back into the GPS mic. lowering the volume usually resolves the problem but it's still there.One other cool thing about this GPS is that I can dial a number on the touchscreen, browse in address book and send/receive SMS. I was using a FM transmitter that went from 88.1 thru 108.1 but there so much "radio pollution" here in Montreal that I was always switching channel and I was having a hard time to find a free one...I'm still using a bluetooth headset as it sounds clearer for everyone.
2005 Lava Vibe base Garage