CERN Atom smasher experiment.

General discussions not related to the Vibe, Matrix, or any other vehicle. (follow posting rules)
PopeyeFAFL

CERN Atom smasher experiment.

Post by PopeyeFAFL »

For those of you interested in fundamental physics, the CERN will proceed this coming Wednesday with an experiment.This machine is awesome, enjoy.http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/sci...9.stmh ... tu....html
Whelan

Re: CERN Atom smasher experiment. (PopeyeFAFL)

Post by Whelan »

The Hadron Collider. Can't wait till it creates a black hole that sucks us all in.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

haven't read the link yet...isn't that 'alice?' the 'A Large Ion Collider Experient?'should be interesting.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Great, so if the slightest thing goes wrong with it, dark hole is formed, we die. Brilliant.
NibCrom

Re: (Kevzaz)

Post by NibCrom »

I'm sure all sorts of things will be created from a giant explosion.
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

Alright, So I read a few articles on this matter. And to inform you guys, I will put it in a nut shell.1) They aren't smashing atoms wednesday, they are only starting it with one atom to make sure it works.2) The purpose of the atom smasher is to... smash atoms, why? Because we want to learn more about the big bang theory, black holes, black matter, and alternate dimensions. They have expected 'a small chance' of creating a black hole. (In my mind, any chance of creating a black hole should instantly hault the project)2 Key points.Ready... anddddd DISCUS!
Sublimewind

Post by Sublimewind »

Quote, originally posted by Kevzaz »Alright, So I read a few articles on this matter. And to inform you guys, I will put it in a nut shell.1) They aren't smashing atoms wednesday, they are only starting it with one atom to make sure it works.2) The purpose of the atom smasher is to... smash atoms, why? Because we want to learn more about the big bang theory, black holes, black matter, and alternate dimensions. They have expected 'a small chance' of creating a black hole. (In my mind, any chance of creating a black hole should instantly hault the project)2 Key points.Ready... anddddd DISCUS! We are so dead... won't be anything left when 2012 rolls around..
BlueCrush

Re: (Sublimewind)

Post by BlueCrush »

I heard they created a Restore Point so if anything bad happens they can just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and and reboot the Earth in Safe-Mode. Oh yeah, it 's also going to open a portal to hell.
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
keithvibe

Re: (BlueCrush)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »I heard they created a Restore Point so if anything bad happens they can just hit Ctrl-Alt-Del and and reboot the Earth in Safe-Mode. LOL
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

The only thing we can really do, is wait and hope...
KNINE

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »Oh yeah, it 's also going to open a portal to hell. Just like DOOM? Sweet, I love that game. I'm going to clean and load my shotgun.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.
Whelan

Re: (K-NINE)

Post by Whelan »

Well it creates a black hole, and it slowly grows to the point at 2012 we're all done.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

I got my general BSC in Physics back in 90.Wow, this brings back memories.
"Draco" 09 Steel Blue Base Vibe 1.8, auto, moonroofR.I.P. "FROST" 06 Frosty White Base Vibe, auto, Moonroof and Monsoontotalled when a bus t-boned us.
Mavrik

Re: (Nelson)

Post by Mavrik »

Hopefully the Borg don't come through the other side. I'd hate to lose my charm and good looks.
2007 stage 2 Satin White Pearl Subaru STi 2008 stage 2 Subaru STi hatch See my car at: Mavrik's car page
BlueCrush

Re: (Mavrik)

Post by BlueCrush »

My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

LOL!
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
redlava

Post by redlava »

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26641652/If you thought the world was going to end, but there was a slight possibility it wouldn't... I would probably hold off on the whole suicide thing just in case I was wrong.
BlueCrush

Re: (redlava)

Post by BlueCrush »

They blew a transformer...uh oh! We're all gonna die!!!! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH!Quote »Transformer breaks on world's largest atom smasher, forcing suspension at European facilityBy ALEXANDER G. HIGGINS , Associated PressLast update: September 18, 2008 - 3:14 PMGENEVA - A 30-ton transformer that cools the world's largest particle collider malfunctioned, forcing physicists to stop using the atom smasher just a day after launching it to great fanfare, the European Organization for Nuclear Research said Thursday.The faulty transformer has been replaced and the ring in the 17-mile circular tunnel under the Swiss-French border has been cooled back down to near zero on the Kelvin scale — minus 459.67 degrees Fahrenheit — the most efficient operating temperature, said a statement by CERN, as the organization is known.When the transformer malfunctioned, operating temperatures rose from below 2 Kelvin to 4.5 Kelvin — extraordinarily cold by most standards, but warmer than the normal operating temperature.CERN had not reported any problems with the project since its launch Sept. 10, but issued its statement shortly after The Associated Press called asking about rumors of troubles.The Large Hadron Collider is designed to collide protons in the beams so that they shatter and reveal more about the makeup of matter and the universe.After it was started up Sept. 10, scientists circled a beam of protons in a clockwise direction at the speed of light. They shut that down, then turned on a counterclockwise beam."Several hundred orbits" were made, CERN's statement said.On the evening of Sept. 11, scientists had succeeded in controlling the counterclockwise beam with equipment that keeps the protons in the tightly bunched stream that will be needed for collisions, but then the transformer failed and the system was shut down, the statement said.The clockwise beam was not on at the time. Now that the transformer has been replaced and the equipment rechilled, scientists expect to try soon to tighten the clockwise beam and prepare experiments in coming weeks, the statement said.Before the problem occurred, scientists had said it would probably be several weeks before the first significant collisions were attempted.
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Kevzaz

Post by Kevzaz »

http://www.cyriak.co.uk/lhc/lhc-webcams.htmlNice little webcam of the tunnel and the outside of the building. =] Everything seems okay now. I watch it every once in a while, just to see everyone work. Its pretty cool.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

That's really cool seeing them work like that. Here's a countdown until they start colliding stuff: http://quegrande.org/countdown/
My Fleet:
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
tribalman

Re: CERN Atom smasher experiment. (PopeyeFAFL)

Post by tribalman »

didn't fermi lab here in illinois have the same discussions when it was being created and first fired?as for the black hole; might as well go out in the coolest way possible.
None. Vibe is gone.
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

(removed)!
"Draco" 09 Steel Blue Base Vibe 1.8, auto, moonroofR.I.P. "FROST" 06 Frosty White Base Vibe, auto, Moonroof and Monsoontotalled when a bus t-boned us.
rdnzl

Post by rdnzl »

We're all going to die.
kowell

Post by kowell »

Relax.... our man Gordon is on the job!
2009 Vibe 2.4L 1SC - Red Hot Metallic
2011 Sienna V6 CE - Sky Silver
ZubenElGenubi

Re: (kowell)

Post by ZubenElGenubi »

I wasn't worried about power up; they're only testing particle accelleration at this time (at least, until the transformer loss).The real surprise wasn't going to happen (if at all) until the first particle collisions started happening. Was supposed to be next week, but that's off. In fact, the highest-energy collisions aren't scheduled until next year.So, you folks still have a few months to check off some "bucket list" items!
KNINE

Re: (kowell)

Post by KNINE »

Quote, originally posted by kowell »Relax.... our man Gordon is on the job!That's hilarious.
"Don't look to the government to solve your problems, the government is the problem." Ronald Reagan"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin.