Ghost?

Share your photos, discuss your camera, get advice or request "Photoshop" assistance.
Herb

Ghost?

Post by Herb »

I was going through some negatives on the weekend and saw a frame I shot years ago at my folks place. There was this odd arc in the frame so I decided to scan it and take a closer look.I can't imagine what might have cause it. I don't remember seeing the print before. Some visiting family members over the years since were convinced they saw a ghost.Now all that's behind me is a TV and a piano, nothing that I can tell that would cause that effect.I'm pretty skeptical about these things, so I thought that maybe some of you may have a good explanation about this.

Attached files
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
keithvibe

Re: Ghost? (Herb)

Post by keithvibe »

piece of lint floating in the air at the time the photo was taken??
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
kunkstyle

Re: Ghost? (keithvibe)

Post by kunkstyle »

Dust on the lens. Hangnail from a finger almost in front of the lens. A hair, perhaps.
Kunkstyle's Garage:2006 AWD Pontiac VibeInfinity/Rockford/Kenwood Audio, CAI, Cupholder LED's, Keyless Entry Mod2000 Porsche 911 C2Kenwood Audio, Ultimate Cupholders, DRL's, 0-60 in 4.9 seconds.
prathman

Post by prathman »

If you mean the white arc on the right side, it looks to me like the camera strap swung in front of the lens. Lit up by the flash at close range it'll appear bright white and since it's too close and moving it looks blurred
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

(removed)!!!!!!!! IT"S A GHOST!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
Herb

Re: Ghost?

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by prathman »If you mean the white arc on the right side, it looks to me like the camera strap swung in front of the lens. Lit up by the flash at close range it'll appear bright white and since it's too close and moving it looks blurredSeems logical, thing is that I shoot with an old SLR and always have the strap against my shoulder to help reduce movement of the camera body.Quote, originally posted by BlueCrush »(removed)!!!!!!!! IT"S A GHOST!!!!! AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!not quite the explanation I was hoping for...
Would you agree to debris acceptance? 2003 Vibe GTMods installed GM Top and Mid-Gate Spoilers, Cosmo CAI, TWM Short Shifter with Desert Eagle weighted shift knob, TWM Bronzoil Shifter Cable Bushings, Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust, Unichip, Injen Billet Aluminum Engine/Sparkplug covers and oil cap, Optima RedTop Battery, Lineage Ground Wire KitAwaiting install: Energy Suspension Motor Mounts, DC Sports Header
Raven

Post by Raven »

The guy in the sweater near the railing looks pretty scary and ghostly to me. Especially with red eyes.
keithvibe

Re: Ghost? (Raven)

Post by keithvibe »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »The guy in the sweater near the railing looks pretty scary and ghostly to me. Especially with red eyes. yea i have this song going threw my head... one of these things don't belong, one of these things just isn't the same.Dude is creeping me out
2010 Vibe & member of the yeargarage Email me if you need to talk to me, click my siggy and send the email threw the contact page.
BlueCrush

Post by BlueCrush »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »not quite the explanation I was hoping for... Oh, really? If you look closely you can see the arc is made up of a moving ball of light. Moving balls of light are typically known as spirits in photographs. So it's a ghost....ahhhhhhhhh!!!
My Fleet:
'15 Ford Fusion AWD Titanium 2.0 Tutbo
'14 Lincoln MXZ AWD 2.0 Turbo
'14 Nissan Pathfinder AWD SL
'05 Pontiac Vibe AWD
bull77

Re: Ghost? (Raven)

Post by bull77 »

Quote, originally posted by KeithVibe »yea i have this song going threw my head... one of these things don't belong, one of these things just isn't the same.Dude is creeping me out Quote, originally posted by Raven »The guy in the sweater near the railing looks pretty scary and ghostly to me. Especially with red eyes. (removed) I started laughing @ my desk --- freaky....but seriously, probably some lint/hair on the lens --- or an orb ---- aaahh call Ghost Hunters
Herb

Re: Ghost? (bull77)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by Raven »The guy in the sweater near the railing looks pretty scary and ghostly to me. Especially with red eyes. That's my brother-in-law Eamon Savage. Normally he doesn't have those glowy red eyes...Quote, originally posted by bull77 »(removed) I started laughing @ my desk --- freaky....but seriously, probably some lint/hair on the lens --- or an orb ---- aaahh call Ghost Hunters There are some amusing responses to this, which I do appreciate. I'll have to try to duplicate the circumstances using lint or hair to check out that theory
Whelan

Post by Whelan »

That guy in the sweater! What's he doing there, he doesn't belong, its like a Where's Waldo sticking out. By no means anything biased, just funny that the group of I'm assuming Asian's with one sweatered up caucasian is fairly amusing when we are looking for a ghost, lol.Most likely that is from a lint or piece of hair over the lens.
2012 GLI Autobahn 6MT
millster

Post by millster »

I would lean toward the idea of a bug flying in front of the lens, illuminated by the flash. Of course that would assume a pretty slow shutter-speed. Still that's usually what I see cause things like that.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
prathman

Re: Ghost? (millster)

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by millster »I would lean toward the idea of a bug flying in front of the lens, illuminated by the flash. Of course that would assume a pretty slow shutter-speed. Still that's usually what I see cause things like that.Even with a slow shutter speed, the strobe flash would freeze the motion of the bug. Therefore I think that whatever foreground object caused it did actually have the arc-shaped form seen.
millster

Re: Ghost? (prathman)

Post by millster »

Not necessarily, but I'm not in the mood to argue.
-Millster-
2006 Toyota Matrix XR
1995 Saab 9000CSE 2.3T
1986 Jaguar XJ6 Vanden Plas (GM Drivetrain Conversion)
2007 Outback XT EJ257 2.6L Build
Nelson

Post by Nelson »

Gwai loh! Gwai Loh!(OK. That's just cantonese for white dude. or literal translation would be ghost or demon dude.)
"Draco" 09 Steel Blue Base Vibe 1.8, auto, moonroofR.I.P. "FROST" 06 Frosty White Base Vibe, auto, Moonroof and Monsoontotalled when a bus t-boned us.
engineertwin2

Post by engineertwin2 »

Quote, originally posted by prathman »If you mean the white arc on the right side, it looks to me like the camera strap swung in front of the lens. Lit up by the flash at close range it'll appear bright white and since it's too close and moving it looks blurredI agree with prathman - looks like a camera strap.
2004 Vibe GT Lava Monotone, Moon & Tunes PackageMods:Homelink17" TenzoR Mach 10s, Black w/ Red grooveTintFormer Cars: '87 Subaru DL, '99 Chevy Malibu (hated it)'99 VW Passat (like it), '99 Volvo S80 T6 (wet dreams are made of it)
Herb

Re: Ghost? (engineertwin2)

Post by Herb »

Quote, originally posted by engineertwin2 »I agree with prathman - looks like a camera strap.This is the type of camera I used. I always wrap the strap around the back of my shoulder and tension it. I probably used either a 28mm wide angle or my 35-135mm zoom lens at the time. Besides, the length and weight of the strap makes it an unlikely culprit.So I think I can rule out the strap. Only theories I can't rule out so is hair or lint

Attached files
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

If you take the image, convert it to a negative, then zoom in on the alien apparition, at the sharpest point of the bend you can see individual oval objects. Then if you zoom in real close on the last discernible one in the chain, you can see the haunted face of George Bush looking back at you. It's evil! Burn it!

Attached files
prathman

Post by prathman »

Quote, originally posted by Herb »This is the type of camera I used. I always wrap the strap around the back of my shoulder and tension it. I probably used either a 28mm wide angle or my 35-135mm zoom lens at the time. Besides, the length and weight of the strap makes it an unlikely culprit.So I think I can rule out the strap. Only theories I can't rule out so is hair or lintAttached is a picture I just took with a tiny portion of the camera strap deliberately held a little bit in front of the lens. Of course, any other flexible cord or other material would look similar - the suggestion of the camera strap is just because that's known to be in the vicinity.

Attached files
redlava

Post by redlava »

Camera Strap.
808 Vibes

Re: Ghost? (joatmon)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Oh geez...I'm here at work laughing my behind off. Thanks, all...I really needed the chuckles! I also think it's the white guy with the red glowy eyes LOL Quote, originally posted by Nelson »Gwai loh! Gwai Loh!(OK. That's just cantonese for white dude. or literal translation would be ghost or demon dude.)Quote, originally posted by joatmon »If you take the image, convert it to a negative, then zoom in on the alien apparition, at the sharpest point of the bend you can see individual oval objects. Then if you zoom in real close on the last discernible one in the chain, you can see the haunted face of George Bush looking back at you. It's evil! Burn it!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Herb

Re: Ghost? (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by Herb »

Glad to hear you got a few chuckles from this thread. I know you could use some.
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

Bug/ fly in front of flash. Check out my website for further information. http://www.eopic.ca
808 Vibes

Re: (DaveD)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Of all the threads to resurrect, this one's a classic. (it ranks up there with Brian's nuts.) I'm still giggling. Thanks, Dave D!
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
DaveD

Post by DaveD »

My pleasure....I don't think I'm going to touch Brian's nuts though....Ummmmm wait that came out wrong, ahhhh hell you know what I mean, don't you????? You do, right?????
808 Vibes

Re: (DaveD)

Post by 808 Vibes »

yeah, suuuuuuuuure I do. *giggles*
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
808 Vibes

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by 808 Vibes »

Resurrecting this one again...just because. If ever we had a GenVibe Hall of Fame Post, this is it....yes, Brian, your shiny nuts too. EDIT: BTW, where is DaveD anyway? Haven't seen him on here in ages.
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~
Houston

Re: (HawaiiPontiacLover)

Post by Houston »

This thread had (still has) me laughing and smiling. You guys and gals are nuts!
2009 Base 2.4L with a few add-ons.
808 Vibes

Re: (Houston)

Post by 808 Vibes »

^ ^ That's why I resurrected it. It's a GenVibe CLASSIC! and BTW, why be normal?
~ ALIS VOLAT PROPRIIS ~