Should I purchase a Vibe?

Ontario
PieBoy

Should I purchase a Vibe?

Post by PieBoy »

Hello,You guys seem to enjoy your Vibes a lot. I'm considering purchasing one. I haven't decided between the Vibe or Matrix. Has anyone purchased the GPS? I'm in consulting and sometimes spend 50 - 75% of my time travelling from one new client to the next around the Toronto area. Needless to say I'm financing pearly's, and I get most of my news from the mapquest website. No doubt, it isn't worth the $2100.00 price tag, but it would be convenient to have all maps on board. Combine that with the 6 disc changer and RDS it could be a feature that gets a lot of use. I've been looking for about 8 months, and in that time I have't found a sales person who has a clue how the thing works.Does anyone know when the 2004s will be available? I see on this site that there won't be a lot of changes, but a few additional colours, and some different rim styles combined with some feedback on the GPS might be the infamous straw that broke the camels back, one way or the other.Thanks in advance for your input.
Sputnik

Re: Should I purchase a Vibe? (PieBoy)

Post by Sputnik »

quote:Does anyone know when the 2004s will be available? I see on this site that there won't be a lot of changes, but a few additional colours, ...See the thread called "New Color Vibe spotted" ( http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=4178 ) for a photo of the new colour coming for the 04 Vibe. I believe someone said that the new 04 Vibes started production on May 5th... when they will arrive in Canada is anyone's guess! I love my vibe - its so much fun to drive! Sorry I can't comment on the GPS as I don't have that on mine, but I'm sure another member can help you out with that one. Oh, and welcome to Genvibe!
GenVibe Global Moderator

Current: 2012 Nissan Juke SL - Sapphire Blue Onyx (July '12 - present)
Current: 2012 Nissan Leaf SL 100% Electric - Blue Ocean (Dec '11 - present)

Past: 2003 Pontiac Vibe - Satellite Silver (Aug '02 - Dec '07)
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

quote:You guys seem to enjoy your Vibes a lot. I'm considering purchasing one. I haven't decided between the Vibe or Matrix.I love my Vibe. If I could do it again, Would I. NO! Well, what I mean is, I would've gone GT! That's the only thing I would've done different. As for Vibe or Matrix, personally, of course, I'm biased towards the Vibe...I don't like the stylings of the Matrix...the roof rack adds tons of character, and the two-tone option is a really cool appearance effect...quote:Does anyone know when the 2004s will be available? I see on this site that there won't be a lot of changes, but a few additional colours, and some different rim styles combined with some feedback on the GPS might be the infamous straw that broke the camels back, one way or the other.We're all hearing different things over this. I actually wrote Pontiac to find out if Fusion Orange is an 04 color, and if so, when the 04 models are officially out. If not, they're hopefully gonna tell me when. I'll let you know what I hear back.
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
3.6L V6 (256 HP @ 6300 rpm, 248 ft-lbs. @ 2100 rpm)
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Yes, definitely go for the Vibe. We have had ours for a week now and totally love it. As for the Matrix, we did not test drive one but did take a look at them in the lot. My husband preferred the overall look of the Vibe. You have to admit, they are pretty sharp looking! The Vibe is amazing for space and toting things around, if that is important to you. I can't comment on the GPS system since we did not get that option. We (mainly me since I am kinda hogging the Vibe) really enjoy the 6 disk CD changer. Overall, a very comfortable vehicle and fun to drive. Neptune/graphite/automatic/standard exterior
Vibe Rater

Re: Should I purchase a Vibe? (Zoomer)

Post by Vibe Rater »

You'll never regret buying a VIBE. Best fuel mileage in its class. Reliable, functional, great look, nice price. I like pie too.
RoundUp

Post by RoundUp »

I don't have a GPS system, but I definitely think you should purchase a Vibe.I've had my Vibe for over a week now and I really like it. Originally, if I had a choice, I would have bought the Matrix (just based on looks). But all doubts melted away the first time I drove my Vibe home. I think what changed my mind was the realization that this is the kind of car that I could do everything in--like camping and cross country trips, even in snowy areas. Somehow, all that just seems wrong with a Matrix. I don't know why the two cars have such different personalities. They're both the same underneath it all. If it helps at all, there's less new car defects in the Vibe and the plant that builds it is ranked higher than the one that builds the Matrix.Hope you choose whichever car suits you better.
geezer

Re: Should I purchase a Vibe? (RoundUp)

Post by geezer »

I ended up with a Matrix XRS. I initially started out looking for a Vibe GT but just couldn't find one that I wanted. I didn't want black or red (the only ones anywhere close to here were all black or red) and I would not own one with the plastic cladding on it. None of the Pontiac dealers around here seemed to want to go very far in locating me the right Vibe. The Toyota dealer was much more willing to find me the right car.I still like the looks of the Vibe a little better but I'm happy with my Matrix. Buy either one -- you'll be happy with it either way. I really am enjoying this car -- driving is fun again.
XRS 6-speed, Cosmic Blue, 17's, AEM Short Ram, Hidden Hitch
Gim67

Post by Gim67 »

BUY THE TOYOTA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Would I buy the Vibe again? Would I buy GM again? NEVER!?!?!?!?! The car itself is great, GM sucks! The only reason I bought the Vibe was because it was less expensive, toyota power train and R&D. It took me 2 months, 8 dealers( who knew nothing), several e-mails and phone calls to GM and driving 4 different testers( 1 Matrix XRS) just to decide. Why all the bother? Because the Vibe fit my lifestyle and pocketbook, and I thought it looked ok( Matrix looks better to me now, more muscular). I WILL NEVER BUY ANOTHER GM PRODUCT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUY THE TOYOTA( DO YOURSELF A FAVOUR)
esjones

Post by esjones »

I'm very happy with my Vibe, base model, 5-speed, and I LOVE the GPS navigation system. I'll be glad to chat with you on IM or e-mail if you have any specific questions.I would have liked the GT for the extra horses, but heard some negative comments about the 6-speed being "notchy". Not to mention that the extra 50 horses don't show up for the party until the very high RPM range is hit . I also would have liked the 4-wheel disc brakes, but I really can't complain about the rear drums on my car.But for an extra US$3,000? No way. It made it much easier for me to justify spending US$1,600 for the nav system by not choosing the GT.
- Earl Earl Jones, Sales and MarketingHorizon Systems LLChttp://www.horizonsystems.com/ Skype ID: esjonesMy Vibe: '03 Base, 5-speed, ABS, Alum. Wheels, Power Pkg, DVD Nav., Security, Neptune/Graphite
VibeSalsa

Post by VibeSalsa »

I really love my Vibe. I have the base model, 5 speed, with the power package (cruise, power lock with keyless entry, power windows) I highly recommand this option, it worth the money.If you consider buying a 2003 model, there is a special now: 0% financing for 60 months. See: http://www.gmcanada.com/english/special ... index.html Maybe you could find the model you want if you browse on the GM Canada search engine.
2003 Base Vibe, Salsa, 5-speed, Power PackageLow pitch hornPic of my Vibe
Vibe Rater

Re: Should I purchase a Vibe? (Gim67)

Post by Vibe Rater »

You are correct sir. GM Canada does suck. Pricing and financing (0%) are the only thing keeping them alive. My buying experience was truly disgusting. Problem is, is Toyota any better? I don't know, never tried them. Want a factory ordered VIBE in Canada? Be prepared to wait at least 6 months, no GM employee pricing, no dealer incentives, poor service.
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

quote:If it helps at all, there's less new car defects in the Vibe and the plant that builds it is ranked higher than the one that builds the Matrix.Where did you read that? The Toyota plant in Cambridge is rated extremely high. I've heard the oposite myself. Nummi is a good plant, but they have had some problems recently. Probably the workforce is getting burned out trying to supply the market.
ragingfish

Re: Should I purchase a Vibe?

Post by ragingfish »

quote:The only reason I bought the Vibe was because it was less expensiveCorrect me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the Matrix start at $2000 - $3000 less than the Vibe?quote:If you consider buying a 2003 model, there is a special now: 0% financing for 60 months. See: http://www.gmcanada.com/english/special ... index.html I don't know if GM Canada is doing it or not, but in the states now at least, you can do a 24 Hour Test Drive. Take the car home overnight, give it a REAL good test drive...
YES!I still visit GenVibe periodically. I have not forgotten about my "original" family over here!

2009 PONTIAC G8
RoundUp

Re: Should I purchase a Vibe? (Vibe Rater)

Post by RoundUp »

quote: no GM employee pricingThat is wrong. I just got my Vibe with the GM Employee Discount, plus 0% financing, plus Grad Rebate. There was a guy on MatrixVibe.net that got the Employee discount, plus Grad Rebate, plus GM Visa points as well. Even without these discounts how much you can haggle off depends on the sales person you deal with. Go to at least a few dealerships to make sure they're not trying to stiff you.With regards to the NUMMI plant vs. the Cambridge plant, that was in the latest J.D. Power Survey. The ranking I think was based on surveys filled out by owners of new vehicles. I know the Toronto Star mentioned the survey, but I don't know to what detail.I must admit, without the employee discount initially, I would probably not have chosen the Vibe. But then again, I wouldn't have bought a Matrix either--although I did like the tail lights. I loved my problem free Civic and would have bought another Honda with a VTEC engine. I don't have any first hand experience with the dealership's service department. I will probably not go to the dealership for regular maintenance and nonwarranty issues (just based on what everyone here says). But I've never owned a Toyota either so I don't know if all their service departments are as great as everyone says.I think what Raging says applies to Canada as well. If your dealership is good, they will let you take the car for a one day test drive.
ragingfish

Post by ragingfish »

Sorry, just looked more carefully at the program details...US only...But for those interested, full details:http://www.gm.com/24hour

2009 PONTIAC G8
Zoomer

Post by Zoomer »

Hello again. We found our Vibe on the GM website (very user friendly). It was in Winnipeg and we had the dealer bring it in for us (it only took a couple of days) - from what I understand swapping vehicles is a common practice. You can get a pretty good idea of what vehicles are out there across the country. We also checked the Toyota website for the Matrix but had a harder time trying to find out options and pricing. As for financing, we lucked out with 0% for 5 years. Good luck with your purchase.
ragingfish

Re: Should I purchase a Vibe? (Zoomer)

Post by ragingfish »

Swapping is extremely common...within reason. Depending on the dealer, they may not be willing to go excessive distance (more than an hour or two) to get a car. It depends on how customer-oriented they are, and of course, you need to take into consideration if the other dealer wants something from yours.When I got my Sunfire, they drove it in from an hour away...my Vibe, however, was right on the lot!

2009 PONTIAC G8
Vibe Rater

Post by Vibe Rater »

Thanks RoundUp. When my Vibe was purchased, there was no GM employee pricing on the VIbe. This is new and it's about time! Did you get the full 10% for factory orders or the dealer lot discount? Just curious. Mind if I ask you what dealer you dealt with. Mine was Royal Pontiac in Mississauga.Yes, all JD Power rankings are done by customer survey. I thought the Cambridge plant always did extremely well. I was in contact with a NUMMI employee a while back, and he sounded like tht plant was suffering a little in the quality department. Burnout from 60 hour weeks. Both NUMMI and Cambridge are exceptional plants. I would buy another vehicle from either plant any day.
RoundUp

Re: Should I purchase a Vibe? (Vibe Rater)

Post by RoundUp »

quote:When my Vibe was purchased, there was no GM employee pricing on the VIbe. This is new and it's about time! Did you get the full 10% for factory orders or the dealer lot discount? Just curious. Mind if I ask you what dealer you dealt with. Mine was Royal Pontiac in Mississauga.Sorry to hear that they didn't give you the employee discount, Rater. That really sucks. I got the dealer lot discount. I went to Addison. They were pretty good. The finance guy also knew what he was talking about so things went pretty smoothly. I was really close to having to pay for financing, because the 0% didn't apply to Vibes when I went in and ordered my car. But just a couple days before I was to pick up the car, the dealership called and said the programs had changed that day and Vibes were now eligible for the 0%. So I was really lucky. But not all dealerships were built equal. I went to this one dealership (which shall go unnamed) and the sales guy was really nasty when I didn't want to order the car right away. I almost wanted to tell the him he shouldn't be in sales.