Overdrive-how does it work?

1.8-liter VVTL-i (2ZZ-GE) and VVT-i (1ZZ-FE) engine, transmission, exhaust, intake, and performance tuning discussions
Jack

Overdrive-how does it work?

Post by Jack »

Hi! I picked up my Vibe (base, automatic) just two days ago and I have a question regarding the overdrive. It seems that once I start the car, the overdrive is automatically on and stays on unless I turn it off. When I drive on city streets, at 50-70 km/h, the drive is very smooth when the OD is on. Once I turn off the OD, then the car seems to go slower, as if with more efford. Anyway, this is the first time I have a car with overdrive and so far I've heard that you shold turn on OD when driving on highways, over 80 km/h. But some people claim it can be on at all times. So far, I've received about 6 answers (including 2 from my dealership) that are rather contradictory. Therefore, I'd love to hear from somebody who knows: when should I really used the Overdrive? When I must not use it? I appreciate any comments you have!
NSimkins
Global Moderator

Re: Overdrive-how does it work? (Jack)

Post by NSimkins »

Hi Jack. Congrats on the new Vibe! Welcome to the Forum.Your topic on Overdrive has been covered in the Engine Tuning forum and that thread can be found by clicking the following link: http://forums.genvibe.com/zerothread?id=305 Please feel free to utilize the forum's Search feature if you have any other questions or concerns before you post a topic as it may have already been covered.Enjoy your stay.
Jack

Re: Overdrive-how does it work? (NSimkins)

Post by Jack »

Nick,Many thanks for this link, just had it printed! Jack